Upgrades for A&K M249 Para?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Matt Cozzolino, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Matt Cozzolino

Matt Cozzolino New Member

Marietta
    Hey guys. I'm a definite beginner when it comes to airsoft guns, what all the terms mean, upgrades, and all that. So I have a few questions. To start this https://www.evike.com/products/28201/ is the gun I run, tts the tan para version. I absolutely love airsoft and want to better upgrade my gun but I have no clue where to start and what attachments/internal upgrades are available for this. As I said I have zero knowledge lol. So anyway:

What would be useful interal upgrades?
    What is the best battery/what is lipo? I keep seeing links to hobby king about lipos and entering all this battery information but dont know where to start!
    How do I upgrade RoF?
    How do I upgrade range?
    Is there any way I can add more rails or something to the 249? It seems like all the kits are for mk46's

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond to this or anyone who can help me. I really haven't got a clue where to start!

2. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    What would be useful internal upgrades?
    Better motor, better microswitch, better bucking/nub, clean the barrel with rubbing alcohol, reshim the gears. There's other stuff you can do, but it all depends on what you want.

What is the best battery/what is lipo? I keep seeing links to hobby king about lipos and entering all this battery information but dont know where to start!
    I'll leave this one for @BoogerMc , as he's more familiar with what'll fit in your gun. Definitely go with a lipo battery as opposed to Nimh batteries... and Hobbyking.com is likely the best place to buy them from fyi.

How do I upgrade RoF?
    What ROF do you want? A better motor will help, as will a good lipo.

How do I upgrade range?

Upgrade bucking/nub.

Is there any way I can add more rails or something to the 249? It seems like all the kits are for mk46's
    Should be the same thing, iirc.

3. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
    I got you here. Just finished my m249 build! 20180713_120530.jpg
    First off with rof and upgrades. Getting a new motor will help tremendously in doing this. I'm running a lonex a1 in mine rn but there are better motors you can buy for the same price or cheaper. I bought mine before I came on the forums.

I can tell you the exact rof tonight when I check it out. Adding rails could either be really hard or pretty easy. Depends on your cash flow... you could buy a top cover with a rail on evike for $50 or do what I did and just drill holes in your receiver and thow a plastic mlok rail on it lol.

As for rail kits look here https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32326...ZVf&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite dont have one myself but been meaning to get one.

The zip ties on my stock are because I bought lipos that were too big lol. Check this before you buy stuff.

My stock and flash hider make this look more like a proper m249, those are here http://www.evike.com/products/41453/ http://www.evike.com/products/28954/ personally I love the 6 pos stock over the fixed long stock and the para stock.

Finally the hop up. This things a total b**ch. First thing I recommend is ditching the nub. Cut a longer one from some wire insulation, I used 16 awg. Make sure it's not too long are your BB's won't feed, so cut it long and progressively make it a little bit shorter every time.

If I miss anything just ask but that's the basic rundown so far

4. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
  5. BoogerMc

Akron
    First, as mentioned previously, make some modifications to your stock hop up, replace the original bucking with a standard M4 style, such as a G&G green (I have very good luck with these). Next, replace the original nub, this video is very helpful in how to do so.

Here is another video of a friend's gun with these modifications, as you can see, it has excellent range.

Of course, there is more to the upgrades than just the hop up to achieve these results. Here is a link to the build sheet for his gun, use it as a starting point to give you some ideas for potential upgrades to your gun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds5zn8ytkyf3s6z/M249 Buildsheet.doc?dl=0

In addition to upgrades, other DIY mods will help you achieve similar results, for example achieving 100% air seal to increase air pressure and thereby an increase in range.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6gcxjs5bclhh0j/100% Air Seal Tutorial.doc?dl=0

For additional upgrade ideas, give this article a read, again, use it for ideas and suggestions because there is no 100% absolute right answer, each gun build depends on the individual and their goals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqj9lo1qg1el56x/Upgrade Suggestions.doc?dl=0

Anyway, hope this helps, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

6. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    @BoogerMc I was checking the fps on my 249 and it was reading 200 fps on .2s. :confused::confused: with an m115 spring it should be around 400ish idk what's up. I think it's a air leak between the hop up. How to solve this with the weird hop system

7. Matt Cozzolino

Marietta
    Thank you so much for the reply. Everyone, actually! Ill definitely look into this, this is awesome stuff. I had no idea where to start. Do you know where the hop-up actually is? And what exaclty is and where is bucking?

8. Matt Cozzolino

Marietta
    Thank you so much! ANy links or suggestions to good motors? What is a microswitch? Like I said I have no clue about any of this kind of stuff

9. Matt Cozzolino

Marietta
  10. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    No you need a lipo charger @FlightSimGuy what is the charger you use again?

11. Honeybadgerz17

Bellevue
    I'll take some pics tonight of my gearbox. In the meantime watch a disassembly video on YouTube for the m249

12. BoogerMc

Akron
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/785-V15H16-CZ300A02K

Best microswitch I've used, and reasonably priced.

To access the hop up, remove the top plate in front of the carrying handle, release the main barrel, and slide the entire inner and outer barrel assembly out of the gun. The hop up will come out with the inner barrel.

To disassemble the hop up, remove the barrel clip, it's a little piece of plastic that locks the barrel inside the hop up. Slide the inner barrel out of the hop up, the bucking will either come out with the barrel or you'll have to gently remove it afterwards, just be careful not to rip or damage it.

When reassembling the barrel and such, I like to use a touch of silicone oil or grease to make things a bit easier, not much, just a thin coating is enough. You can find silicone grease at your local Home Depot, it's called faucet grease or plumber's grease. Works wonders.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    -Spitfire- likes this.
  13. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oceanside
    BoogerMC already linked the microswitch, as for motors, it kinda depends on your target rof... Though the SHS high torque would be a pretty good choice. Strong, and about 20rps on stock gears (if the gearbox is tuned right).