Upgrades for making a Silent Gun

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Blades, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Blades

Blades New Member

I've heard of sorbo (youtube videos show it isn't that great), a silent piston head/cylinder head combo, and even supressors.

But, my question to you is, what has worked for you? Help me save my money and avoid buying stuff that doesn't really work. Thanks guys.

If possible, I'd like the quietest "thud" or "woosh" sound out of the gun as possible when the piston hits the end of the cylinder. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Thanks for searching!
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/how-do-you-make-gun-more-quiet-58154/
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/quiet-er-gearbox-40722/

Assorted quotes you could have picked up on.

3. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Link made it yet again. I'd put a sock over my barrel or something

4. Blades

Blades New Member

Cool. Mobile version search sucks, couldn't help that. But thanks for doing it for me.

So, will the combo of sorbo AND silent piston/cylinder heads help? Or is my best bet just skipping that and getting a silencer? I'm going for the easiest setup possible.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    Silencers do nothing (assuming you mean suppressor) either use a sorbo pad and correct shimming or fill your gun with foam inserts lol

6. Blades

Blades New Member

Shoot, alright. Foam may be considered. Any luck with silent piston/cylinder head?

7. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member

Eastcoast
    certain suppressors do make the gun quieter, but barely. It really depends on the quality of the suppressor.

8. Blades

Blades New Member

Alright, does it affect the sound downrange like I've heard? Or only the muzzle pop?

9. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    Yes some do come with foam inserts in the tube of the suppressor, but technically if they do anything that's really noticeable to the sound it is illegal in most states without a special tax (considered REAL suppressor)

10. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    If anyone asks just say you have a longer inner barrel or its fake for looks.

11. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    What's the base gun you're trying to "silence"?

12. Blades

Blades New Member

Eh, well it will be a V2 G&P 8mm, mostly stock except for a full metal rack piston and 16:1's. CA M4 MOE shell, but a metal body may be installed later on down the road... Will that amplify gearbox noise?

13. FLUGMERKUR

FLUGMERKUR Schatten Gruppe Staff Member

Eastcoast
    I've heard rumors that plastic body guns are quieter than metal body guns, but I'm not sure.