Featured Upgrading, I need an Estimate on performance.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by JesseTheTsar, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JesseTheTsar

JesseTheTsar New Member

Its my first time upgrading any gun, and its also my first AEG that im upgrading.
    Im upgrading the G&G Fire hawk into a DMR

EXTERNALS (Already have)
    Stock Upper Receiver
    Stock Lower Receiver
    Stock outer barrel
    Stock RIS / Handguard / Front Assembly
    Stock Stock
    Stock Buffer Tube
    Stock Pistol Grip
    Bi pod Vertical Grip
    NSTAR 3x Magnifier
    NSTAR Red Pistol Laser
    1000 Lumen Zoomable Tactical Flashlight
    10 Inch Mock Suppressor (Special Forces)

INTERNALS (Planning on getting) (150$ Budget) (Puts me at 132$)

Qty Total
    [​IMG] Matrix Irregular Pitch Airsoft AEG Upgrade Spring (Model: M110 330~390 FPS)
    Model #: SPR-MTX-M110 / PID: 31455

$10.00
    [​IMG] AIM / Element Silent Piston & Cylinder Set for V.2 Airsoft AEG Gearbox
    Model #: PH-IN0809 / PID: 30602

$25.00
    [​IMG] Madbull Black Python Aluminum 6.03mm Tightbore Inner Barrel with RHOP Installed by Umbrella Armory (Length: 300mm)
    Model #: BRL-UA-P-720 / PID: 66788

$65.00
    [​IMG] Modify Baton Ryusoku Flat Hopup Bucking for Airsoft AEGs (Model: Hard)
    Model #: BU-GB-05-63 / PID: 43035

$14.00
    [​IMG] Matrix 7.4V 15/30C 1000mAh High Performance Airsoft LiPO Battery Pack
    Model #: BAT-MTX060 / PID: 47481

Things I would like estimated.
    How much effective range would I get with 0.25g BB (Max 0.25 at my field).
    How much FPS Would I get with these upgrades.
    How much RPS would I get with these upgrades.
    How loud will my gun be with these upgrades.
    How much battery life will I get with these upgrades.

Its my first time upgrading a gun so im not doing it myself, im taking it to an air soft store to have the pros install everything. Im not confident in my ability to upgrade it even though I think I'd be able to as I understand how the gearbox works and where everything goes.

2. LightIsRight

LightIsRight Active Member

Cannon Falls
    Don't get a Matrix spring, get a Guarder SP100 instead.

Lefse and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.

3. JesseTheTsar

JesseTheTsar New Member

I'd like to ask why though?
    Are they different in quality? Because I'd like to stay under 400 fps so I don't have to deal with minimum engagement.
    Also, I checked the ones on Evike and they don't tell me what fps range I would be getting.

4. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Active Member

Mountain Home
    Guarder springs are high quality, and give consistent FPS. In a DMR consistency is very important. Silent piston heads don't do much to silence a gun, but good cylinder to barrel volume does. IIRC the firehawk comes with a 3/4 or full cylinder, so depending on the BB's you plan on using it could be volumed properly with that barrel. If possible can you slide the upper receiver off to see(or post a pic) what cylinder is in it currently?

There's more to building a DMR than changing parts. Quite a bit of tuning must be done to get a true DMR. Look up "the holy grail of building your dmr aeg", there's a great thread on airsoftsniperforum.com.

5. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  6. BOA_SP3CT3R

Mountain Home
    At least for once I'm correct!;):D

7. JesseTheTsar

JesseTheTsar New Member

The Holy Grail of Dmrs was really useful.
    I should have said this but I'll say it now
    I play at a CQB field where there is no minimum engagement distance and the max fps for AEGs is 400 fps. There is no full auto, it is only semi.
    All I want is a gun that can shoot like a laser, and can accurately hit someone atleast 100 feet away and will hit them in the same area 8/10 times atleast. It'd be nice for it to also stay straight and not have to make me adjust my aim to make it drop onto them at 100 feet away.
    Will these upgrades do that for me?
    I heard R-Hop is good.

8. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    If your skilled enough to install them absolutely.

9. JesseTheTsar

JesseTheTsar New Member

Apparently the barrel im buying is supposed to come with R-Hop
    And I wont be installing it as I don't trust myself not to mess it up, I'll have to go to a pro shop that's less than a mile from me and ask them to do it.

From what I've heard your still supposed to have a hopup bucking and nub with R-Hop?
    It just kinda confuses me.

10. BOA_SP3CT3R

Mountain Home
    You need a flat hop'd bucking & a flat nub or m-nub. The r-hop patch fills the barrel window.

If you're going to have a shop do it, have them do some basic tuning & mods such as:
    Shimming
    AoE correction
    Air seal mods
    Hopup tuning
    And there are several others I'm forgetting, but it's late so others can post them if they want;)

11. JesseTheTsar

JesseTheTsar New Member

So im new to upgrading but what im getting from it is
    Shimming decreases the "Whine" noice
    Air seal increases the power / Consistency and makes it so you don't lose the air from cylinder
    Hopup tuning just makes sure your hopup works
    And I don't even know what AoE does.

12. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    AOE adjustment insures the pickup tooth on your sector doesn't snap the end of your piston off,or you snap the pickup tooth off your sector.Basically.Your still green to this.Have you read and put into practice any of the stickies in the gun building and modification sub-forum?Seems likely not to me.Before you go any further you should at the very least read those.

13. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Matrix are rebrands of random cheap brands, so you never really know what you're getting. Guarder springs are known for being correctly rated and for being durable and consistent. My Guarder springs are giving exactly what they're rated at, my cheaper DA springs were significantly more inconsistent and they lost a lot of power after just one season.

You should definitely consider Brill Armory or Clandestine Airsoft for parts, much nicer shops.

14. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

If you're only going to be using 0.25g BBs then you'll get results as good as the R hop with something like a Maple Leaf hop rubber, or just the flat hop and nub (but get the soft one). Then you can spend the money you save on a barrel that's actually a real improvement. 0.25g should be good out to about 50 - 55m, but call it an effective range of 50m.
    The silent piston head won't do anything except make your wallet lighter. The best way to reduce cylinder and muzzle noise is to match the cylinder volume to the BB weight and barrel length by selecting the correct cylinder porting.
    If you've been using 8.4 NiMh batteries then you'll notice a modest improvement in rate of fire and trigger response with the 7.4v lipo. Less so if you've been using 9.6v, but you'll find the rate of fire will stay the same until the battery needs charging, rather than gradually slowing down. Best to partner it with Deans connectors if not already fitted.

15. LightIsRight

LightIsRight Active Member

Cannon Falls
    Yep, get parts from Brill/Clandestine if possible. Shipping will be much cheaper, parts will tend to be better, and they're a great business to support.

You can do Rhop but honestly, within 100 feet I don't think it's worth it. I would just use a simple drop in bucking (the best are Lonex, G&G Green, and Promethius Purple) or maybe Flat Hop. @Chow has a great guide to flat hopping.

EDIT: For now I would get the soft Modify Flat Hop bucking (or a simple drop-in bucking) and a Prometheus Barrel from Brill.
    Buy Lipos from hobbyking.com.

Chow likes this.
  16. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

17. Specter4

Specter4 Active Member

Highland
    I don't believe this has been mentioned yet, but while you have everything open, change out your electricals/wiring harness to include a mosfet. A high trigger pull build like that will benefit from one and it will ensure your system lasts.

18. bowman531

bowman531 Member

Phoenix
    Also if you are going to buy a new barrel. Don't buy madbull's they aren't very consistent as the coating on the aluminum tends to chip off with use. If you want a good barrel go with zci or prometheus.

19. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Madbull actually have stainless steel barrels now, I have one in my G&G AK-104 and I'd say it might actually rival a Prometheus barrel. It did cost about the same as a Prometheus barrel so that's to be expected really.

20. Coleman Kinzer

Coleman Kinzer New Member

Sedgwick
    if you want an rhoped barrel go to hop systems. I know some people who have had problems with Umbrella armory. If you are looking at budget, I would upgrade ALL compression parts besides tappet plate and cylinder with shs. With my experience with g&g the piston heads suck and the cylinder heads are plastic and air nozzles have no o ring. If the firehawk doesnt come with a mosfet get one, doesnt matter which ones but not plug and play. g&g gearsets rock, keep them unless you want lower ratio (go with shs if then). Upgrade motor to neo magnet one if your stock one is buns. also, ask your tech if they can rewire your gun to 16 awg. g&g green buckings are great also, keep it! you just have to flat hop it.

If you havnt gone into a gearbox before and are planning to its gonna be hectic. Buy a cheap complete gearbox before you do ever go inside your gun and shim it or at least try to, saved me trashing a $120 gun.