Upgrading KWA CQR mod 1 FPS

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ArchangelAirsoftBlackHawk, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hi, I have a kwa cqr mod 1 and would like to upgrade its fps. I would like it to shoot around 400 fps and was wondering if a systema type 0 cylinder would do the trick. Looking for any sort of advice or help. Thank You.

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Ha sorry man but those are two completely different systems, no to get it to 400 FPS get a m120 spring.

3. I could have swore I read somewhere that the Cqr already had a m120 spring in it and that a ported cylinder was what was controlling the fps.

4. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Oh I thought you were talking about systema gold cylinders (if you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry) yeah no I believe it comes with a m110 so it can be close quarters ready.

5. So what do you suggest I get to upgrade the fps?

6. Cole631

Cole631 New Member

Philadelphia
    Back when I had a regular old KWA 2gx m4 cqb everyone told me that it had the same spring as the full sized km4, just with the ported cylinder like you are talking about so that it could be used for cqb, but I am not sure if that is the same case for the CQR. The easiest way to up your fps without opening the gearbox would be to get a tightbore, but it is probably not going to gain as much as you want. I wouldn't buy a new cylinder just because you can find them so often for like $3 used on a forum so I would look around. Also, I personally find Systema's AEG parts to be over priced and over rated (their PTWs are a different story) so if you are buying new I would suggest a different brand. If you do end up swapping cylinders then you should probably also put some teflon tape around the cylinder head which will improve your compression, giving you a higher fps and better consistancy.

7. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Dude read my first post.

8. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    The CQR comes with same 110 spring as the KM4A1. The inference in compression is primarily due to KWA switching out the cylinder to one where the ports are closer to the cylinder head. The CQR uses a type 3/4 cylinder vs. a type 4/5. This is reducing the cylinder volume and the commiserate fps. If you switch out the CQR cylinder with a standard KWA (or the equivalent type 4/5 cylinder) your fps should approach 400 fps. Here is the link explaining the types of cylinders:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/cylinder-hole-location-vs-barrel-length-guide-chart-2518/

You'll still have to check for for air leaks. The alternative is to use a 120 spring to increase your compression rate and hopefully push your fps to 400. I'd go to the longer ported cylinder. I checked with KWA tech support and they confirmed that the cylinder in the CQR is the only thing different in the 2GX gearbox from the KM4A1, KM4RIS and SR10. Those guns typically have FPS between 390 and 400.