UrbEx + Airsoft

Discussion in 'Ohio Airsoft Forum' started by Zoms101, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Zoms101

Zoms101 New Member

Beavercreek Township
    I recently got into urban exploration, and while poking around some old properties, the thought struck me that they would make excellent airsoft sites. The only catch is that the properties are technically off limits to the public and technically dangerous, though in reality the ones I'm interested in for airsoft have no security except for a fence that already has a hole in it and are safe if you wear standard airsoft PPE. They are also isolated enough to not bother the locals.

The first location I would like to nominate is the old Wright Company Factory, coordinates 39.75027072756389, -84.23770260386557.
    [​IMG]
    Despite what the linked article says, I seriously doubt that anybody except trespassers have been there in a few years. Having been inside myself, I can confidently state that no serious hazards exist as long as you watch your step and your head and don't eat the insulation or lick the floor. You can check out the Google Maps location for more general info, or DM me if you want detailed information.

So, what do you guys think? Could this idea gain any traction locally?
    Any feedback is welcome.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    While it could be fun, if caught, you will only bring "negative" light to the sport and you.

Do you want to be in the headlines of today's local news?

Rather, show a little respect and do a little research and see if the abandoned property owner would allow you to use it for play and perhaps grease his palms with player "donations" to offset his property tax costs.

Zoms101, aotsukisho and Peeque like this.

3. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Active Member

Pittsburgh area
    I'd say no, too many problems can happen, cops,injuries, cops.......angry hobos with real guns....

4. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Not to mention Property Owners w/ real guns, where trespassers pose a legitimate use of said real guns against them in Ohio. I know that If I caught strangers messing around on my property and I saw them dressed in "military gear" and/or brandishing "firearms", I wouldnt hesitate to shoot for my safety. (living in a more rural area, the nearest County Sheriff/State Trooper might be 5 mins or an hour + away; chances are there is no time to wait on them to arrive) Think of it this way: if you saw someone/group of people running around on your property with what you perceive to be firearms, what do you think may happen? Are they just kids with "toys" or are they a group that means to do you (and others) harm? Is that a risk you are willing to take?; especially in today's day and age with everything that has been going on the past year and a half.

From a Law Enforcement perspective, imagine getting a call to a location where you have "multiple individuals dressed in tactical gear wielding 'assault rifles'". The response to that will be insane and virtually every LEO will be hyped up on the biggest adrenaline dump of their lives, where a wrong split-second decision will determine whether or not they go home that day.

While I think venues like this have a ton to offer, its best to contact the property/facility owner with your proposition FIRST. The last thing you or this sport needs is to make the news headlines in a negative way.

5. Richard Paoletti

Richard Paoletti Member

Hibbing
    I’d reach at to a course or milsim company and see if they can rent the property out and run an event there. That’s about the only safe way. Even when they rent out places when we run pyro we’ve got 911 called and I’m quoting here “there’s a real war going on”. The whole department responded, imagine if we didn’t have banners up saying it was airsoft or refs to quickly dismiss the police.

6. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area
    Wow we shot this guys idea down. Lol

Zoms101 likes this.
  7. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

if you can get the numbers and youre positive the property is abandoned I say send it.

Not really sure why everyone here thinks milsim promoters have these special qualifications, they just pay property owners to use their property and use a waiver and insurance policy in an attempt to protect them and a deterrence for the player from filing suit.

my local community has been doing this for years. no one has had a problem with it so far it seems. Cant speak for your community but theres only one way to find out.

8. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    And thus, they have their permission to be there and they know what's going on so there's no problem with that.

But that is not what Zoms is trying to do. He does not intend to get the owners permission first. Just have people show up and hope no one finds out about it.

9. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I understand that but if there is not a property owner to contact then there isn't anything you can do about it. Going to the city to say hello can i use your property to do something dangerous where the city would be held liable won't work. If its abandoned its either you use it without permission or you don't use it at all.

10. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    Than you don't use it at all. Getting caught doing something like this will only create bad news about the sport. Which would push lawmakers to further restrict or ban it ruining it for everyone else.

Richard Paoletti and aotsukisho like this.
  11. GrimWolf0770

Pittsburgh area
    I watched a YouTube video from Europe where a guy fell down an elevator shaft in a place like this, he got hurt really bad too, there just too much crap that could go wrong.

Richard Paoletti likes this.
  12. TrueRonin

TrueRonin New Member

Aurora
    Wish i could find something like this in CO

13. Zoms101

Zoms101 New Member

Beavercreek Township
    Thanks for the turnout, guys! It's nice to hear the community's opinions on this.

Here is what I plan to do going forward: contact the organization that owns the property and propose collecting and making donations each time people play there. I will likely also have to drum up some sort of waiver, and address property damage prevention. Hopefully, we can work something out and I can return with good news.

I just starting researching today of all the stuff I would have to do to make this legit, so my plan will evolve as this progresses (assuming it does).

I've replied to some posts below:

That's basically what I'm going to try and do. I really hadn't considered the blowback this might have on the sport in the local news.

That's why I posted this here, to get peoples' feedback and ideas. But yes, it was rather surprising to open my email and see a bunch of nonaffirmative replies lol.

While this may be true, it seems that organizing a game in an abandoned factory is hard if you can't publicize it somewhere, ie. the AS forums. I doubt the mods would be happy with anybody advertising an illegal activity. Also, angry hobos are a convincing argument.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    aotsukisho and Peeque like this.
  14. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Zoms your open mindedness is appreciated, I hope you can make it happen since you seemed quite keen on it in the OP.

Peeque and Zoms101 like this.
  15. Zoms101

Zoms101 New Member

Beavercreek Township
    Status update:

I've sent an email to the National Aviation Heritage Area, which seem to be the group that owns the property. They haven't responded yet, and it's been a week or so. I brought this up to my local field, G2 Tactical, who sometimes hosts events at places like that, and they said they would look into it as well.

Next I will try to find some sort of public records of the property's owner and make sure I get in touch with the right people.

Fingers crossed.

aotsukisho likes this.
  16. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    At the County Seat, ask to see a Plat book or online files for tax payers on properties.

17. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    We have a very similar location outside of Missoula. It used to manufacture cardboard, but now it's about 50+ acres of abandoned factory. It's massive with multiple stories of possible play area. I've always dreamed of organizing something there, but haven't taken any action. I guess I'm just waiting for the right time or maybe someone to go in with me.

18. Zoms101

Zoms101 New Member

Beavercreek Township
    I guess this thread died with my messages to the owners of the Wright Factory, who haven't responded.

Big oof.

19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    These orgs don't respond to electronic communications. You literally have to go up to them and ask...