US new camo pattern

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by schlabie, Dec 18, 2012.

1. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Your title is misleading. This pattern has been submitted for trials against a number of other patterns. It has not been adopted and we likely won't know the results of the trials for a long time because, you know, red tape and government beauraucracy and such. And let's be honest, it's the Army, they'll pick the wrong pattern again.

3. schlabie

schlabie New Member

I know, about the title part, I noticed it after I posted it on my android and Im not quite sure how to change it. I just was curious to see what everyone thought of it.

4. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    It looks like AOR and MARPAT had a baby.

5. schlabie

schlabie New Member

I was thinking that as well, I think its a waste of time to develop something thats already existing. Why not use Multicam, or AOR?

6. glenlovesm4

glenlovesm4 New Member

Knoxville
    They don't care about money?

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Because if we never designed new things, we'd never see progress. The US government hasn't spent a dime designing the new camo. Everything entered in the trials was designed by private companies and they're competing to be purchased. Whichever pattern works best (in theory at least) will be picked.

As for ADS specifically, it does some interesting things. Most notably, it plays with the third dimension a lot more than AOR and MARPAT do. It's not just pixelated, there's a drop shadow in there too. MARPAT and AOR try to create sort of a blur look at the edges of color patches, which is meant to fool the eye into seeing blur from depth. This though, creates depth by putting a physical shadow under some of the color patches, giving the eye and even better clue that it's looking at different focal planes. It might work really well. Then again, when it's wrinkled and curved over a human body, it might not work at all. That's for professional testers to decide.

8. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Atlanta
    Darn! Just bought multicam....

Let me find my receipt....

9. schlabie

schlabie New Member

Damn Knief, you are THE gearwhore, and camo man. Thats one heck of a title you got yourself there.

10. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

11. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. Lil_Shady

Well that too. Also been looking at getting some Kryptek stuff.

13. ReconOpsFireteam

ReconOpsFireteam New Member

Mohave Valley
    Would really like the arid, any one know where to buy?

14. Lil_Shady

Hey knief, they have updated their homepage to show that they have indeed won the contract bid: http://www.adsinc.com/company/solutions/camo-solutions

15. Bengal

Bengal New Member

Kay.. Im pretty sure we have had these for awhile, what was the date this video was released?

16. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    We have had other digital patterns like MarPat and UCP, AOR, and some other stuff. This has not been used ever by the US Military.

17. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    Wouldn't the 3rd dimensional depth of ADS patterns actually make it worse in the desert? Which in places is a one shaded, flat environment without any depth.

18. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    If your in the middle of only sand it probably would, but there is usually some sort if terrain like rocks, some small plant life, other hills and such. It's not like you're actually in the middle of the desert with only sand for miles.

19. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I've been starting to see more and more of this Highlander pattern. And am I the only one who thinks of honey comb when I see this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  20. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Kryptex has some good looking patterns. Its 100 just for a shirt though...