USMC Impression woes (did research, but looking for some fresh sources)

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Cybsjan, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Cybsjan

Cybsjan New Member

Utrecht
    Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for creating another USMC load out topic ;) Theres a few of them on here (some more recent than others) that I used in my research already, but I still have some questions.

I'm building an USMC rifleman/SL load out with a teammate (timeframe 2012 to 2014) and I could use some help. I did a ton of reading and googling to find myself the information I need. Currently I have a google docs document a few pages deep.

One thing that makes this so complicated for me is that I want to portray a "standard" rifleman/sl. Not a special forces unit.

Another thing is that most of the sources I've found are from 2012 or older. This creates some contradictions:

Helmet: The guides I've been finding recommend using an LWH replica (PASGT). But, I've also found sources saying the USMC is switching over the Enhanced Combat Helmet from 2012. (an order for 77.000 has been placed in 2013 for example).

The ECH looks like a MICH 2000 to me. When looking on marines.mil theres marines with both helmets on photo's. Not just one or two, but several photo's.

Plate Carrier/Vest: Guides contradict each other on this one. Most of them say the marines use Modular Tactical Vest. But in news articles and other guides it says marines have switched to the Eagle Industries ISPC from around 2012. They needed the mobility the ISPC offered.

Being a slim guy, I prefer the ISPC. I think that will fit my body better. If thats actually being used in my timeframe, that is.

If thats the case, I also need to find a replica. I know Flyye and Pantac create one, but a few sources from 2012 state they are poor replica's.

Instead the ACM Weekend Warrior is supposed to be a good one but I can't find that in stores anywhere. This morning I also discovered the Emerson SPC. It got compared to a Eagle Industries SPC (not the ISPC) and it matched it quite good. TMC also has a replica but I'm not sure if that comes close to the ISPC.

Are there any Marine enthousiasts who can recommend a good clone? And are there some Marine know alls or maybe even active duty marines who can help me out?

2. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Welcome fellow Dutchie!

You'll definitely want to steer clear from the Emerson, ACM and TMC replicas. They're very poor quality. I don't know how good the FLYYE and Pantac are in terms of design, but they're guaranteed to be decent quality. Your best bet in terms of quality and such would be the FLYYE. You could also just save up and get a real SPC, they go around the $200-300 price range.

The ECH is basically an ACH with a thicker profile, and the ACH is basically a MICH 2000. If I were you I'd go for the ECH, because they're much nicer than LWH helmets.

3. Cybsjan

Cybsjan New Member

Utrecht
    Awesome! Thanks for your input.

Looks like I made the right reasoning then ;) Got myself and our teammate a Mich 2000.

I know the quality is hugely better with Flyye and Pantac, but the models are not really alike to the real deal. At least according to my sources. Now I only need to take time and sit down, and compare all the other brands and spc's with each other.

Yesterday I did find a lot of new info about the IMTV and the ISPC. It looks like a high up commander can request either or both for the Marines hes in charge of. If they suspect schrapnel and IED's they use the IMTV. If they are going up against mainly shooters and tough terrain, the ISPC is used.

So going by those sources we can go with a plate carrier.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
  5. Cybsjan

Cybsjan New Member

Utrecht
    I've certainly been thinking about that but thats going to be difficult since I need to get 2 maybe 3. I'm not sure if my teammates are willing to spend that much since for them, its not the primary set they'll use. But I'll talk to them!

Another issue is size. We're all skinny so we'll need size S.

Thanks for the link btw!

Getting pouches in the correct color might also be more difficult with real-steal instead of a clone. Since a clone is not the true coyote brown, if you get pouches from that same clone brand, you've got them matching.

6. lordoffire31

lordoffire31 New Member

Norman
    From what I know the Marine Corps uses a LBTV, load bearing tactical vest. I made this loadout myself, the Marines use what they call cammies, basically the woodland marpat blouse. Down in the Marine Corps officer canidate school they use the desert marpat blouse. I do not use helmets I use bucket hats or boonies, but I believe they use the standard kevlar helmet. Boots are the standard tan tactical combat boots. Now here is something most people dont know about the marines.... they dont tuck in their pants like the army but instead buy a military boot strap and put it on the top of your boot, then tuck your pants over then under the strap. For the knee pads the Marines didnt really use those but they do sometimes, as for the gloves, tan hard knuckle. Marines unlike the army do not put any insignia on their uniforms, just name and rank. Hope you enjoy the info. Oh p.s. vest, boots, gloves, knee guards, are all tan w/ or without woodland marpat.

7. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

That really is a poor and wrong list. I'll explain why when I have the time.

8. lordoffire31

lordoffire31 New Member

Norman
    Well my info might be outdated, if it is please inform me of the correct info.

9. lordoffire31

lordoffire31 New Member

Norman
    But my father being a Marine MP, well he is my source and since he is still in i thought it was correct, hmmmmm.

10. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Almost nothing you said could be considered 100% correct. For instance, it's true that they wear a ballistic helmet, but just calling it "the standard kevlar helmet" doesn't help anybody identify the actual helmet used. Is it a PASGT? A MICH 2000? A MICH 2001? A LWH? The same is true of boots. There are a lot of "standard combat boots" that are not on the Marines list of permissible boots. And their gear is tan, that's true, except that it's a specific shade of tan called coyote brown. Somebody using your advice might think that any tan is okay, when khaki, coyote tan, coyote, tan 499, and Condor's "tan" would not fit the bill.

There are a lot of other problems in your post as well. Basically every single thing you said is unhelpful, if not flat out wrong. I see that you're very new here, and I'm guessing very young. I think you would benefit greatly from doing a lot more reading and getting the hang of how we give advice here, and hold off on trying to give advice yourself. Open yourself up to listening to the geardos here and you'll learn a ton. Keep giving bad advice and you're just going to get shouted down over and over.

As a final point, a lot of servicemembers don't actually know a whole lot about the gear that they use. They've got a ton of other stuff on their mind and just use what they've been issued or what they can buy at the base PX, so they don't know the ins and outs of the bulk of the gear they use (though usually they know all the ins and out of how to set it up in a useful and ergonomic way, since they live in it). That's not to say that they're not smart, capable, and kickass guys. Their interests just lie in their job and not all of their tools. So while I'm sure your dad could pick his PC out of a lineup and kit it out with a purpose, he might not actually know the name of it (it's not "LBTV").

11. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Knief hit the nail on the head with this one.

12. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I did a Marine impression awhile back. Trust me when I say, Knief is on the level with these kinds of things.

Here is a shoot I did with a friend, before a large milsim event.

Attached Files:

13. Mack7Cav

Mack7Cav New Member

Lurgan
    Did a USMC kit a while back myself, Heres a Kitlist if it may help

Helmet
    PASGT - Modified with four point chinstrap and ACH pads (Gentex ACH in the woodland pic)
    PASGT NVG Mount with retention strapPVS 14 Rhino arm
    ESS profile NVG goggles
    Issue reversable MARPAT cover
    Cats eye band

Plate carrier
    Flyye SPC
    Flyye Triple M4
    Flyye MBITR
    Unbranded Utility
    Issue IFAK
    2xunknown frag pouches
    2l Cablebak
    Flyye Dump pouch (Can get the real issue ones on ebay but never got round to it
    Flyye groin protector

Cammies
    Issue Frog desert/temperate MARPAT

Blackhawk riggers belt
    Bates hot weather boots (They look coyote brown but I beleive the correct term for USMC kit is Olive Mojave)

Weapon was a G&P M16A4 with PEQ 16 and Trijicon ACOG Model TA31 replica.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Cybsjan

Cybsjan New Member

Utrecht
    Looking good guys!

1badweasel: What kind of gear are you using?

Mack: Why did you decide to go with a flyye instead of trying to get a real spc for around the same price?

15. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Clothing & boots:
    • woodland MARPAT FROG Combat shirt
    • Woodland MARPAT MCCUU trousers
    • Mechanix Gloves (CB)
    • Belleville 590 USMC Hot Weather Combat Boots

Head:
    • BAE Systems Lightweight Helmet (CB)
    • Reversible Helmet Cover
    • Cat Eyes Band (khaki)
    • PASGT NVG Mount
    • ESS Profile NVG Goggles (Tan)
    • ESS ICE Shooting Glasses

First Line:
    • BlackHawk Riggers Belt (CB)

Second Line:
    • Eagle Industries Scalable Plate Carrier (CB)
    • Eagle Industries Smoke Grenade Pouch (CB)
    • Eagle Industries Frag Grenade Pouch (CB)
    • Eagle Industries x2 9mm Magazine Pouch (CB)
    • Eagle Industries Double M4 Magazine Pouch (CB)
    • Eagle Industries x2 Double M4 Magazine Pouch (CB)
    • BAE Systems dump pouch (CB)

Thrid Line:
    • WXP 3L Hydration Pack (CB)