UTG L96 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by wippyt, Oct 28, 2012.

1. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    Hey guys I dont want to be that person but I am going to be that person. I recently got a utg l96 from my friend for free and I am looking for upgrades. I am planning on upgrading little by little due to cash. I read that the spring gets upgraded last and that the hop up should be one of the first to upgrade but other than that I know nothing. Thanks in advance to all the people who are going to roll their eyes at the thread but who are willing to help me.

2. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

Do you want to buy upgrades because everyone says that you should? Or are you trying to fix a rifle that shoots badly? The short question is, how is this rifle performing now? Perform the do-it-yourself mods first, the cost is nearly free, then see where you are at.

3. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Are you looking to get the sniper up to it best potential? is it broken? are you just going to use it to target shoot in the backyard?

depending on what you want to do will dictate what path you should take.

4. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    I want to upgrade because I would like to become a sniper for my team and I have yet to shoot the gun but I completely forgot all about the DIY mods. I will look into those for now.

5. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 New Member

To help us understand; why do you want to upgrade? Upgrades do not make a sniper for a team. Shoot the rifle, see what it can do, then develope a plan to dump your cash down a "cash-hole"

6. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    I know what your saying. I will shoot the rifle to see what it does when its not upgraded and from there see what it needs to have done with it.

7. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Being a sniper isnt always about taking a far shot, its about recon, or taking out a guy holding a vantage point from an angle that no one else could get to because of stealth, or taking out the team leader or medic so the rest of your team can move in to take out the rest when they are most vulnerable. upgrading the rifle to the point that those far shots are routine, or require slight adjustments change you from skilled recon, to deadly ghost.

8. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    Ok so I was just shooting it at about 50yds with .25s and it was hitting the target spot pretty good I would say 5 inch groupings for 20 shots. The only thing is that it feels like the spring has been worn down and I would guess to say it was shooting around 300 fps and I know fps isn't everything but I dont know if thats good for a stock L96.

9. wippyt

wippyt New Member

Hager City
    I guess I am looking for it to shoot farther and harder. I got the gun used to I dont know if the spring is just worn down but with .25s the bbs would hit the ground at about 50 yards.

10. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

your spring most likely has nothing to do with it. Your hop-up is most likely the problem, something could be worn out or out of place, or you could just need to adjust it.

11. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Well it depends. The spring might have been left cocked for awhile. Maybe 5-6 hours.

Take it apart and just look at the bucking and see what it looks like. That would answer your question.