Featured V3/AK wiring frustration

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by John Daley, Oct 13, 2020.

1. John Daley

John Daley New Member

Gardner
    Was loving my first V3 build until I found myself very frustrated trying to run the wiring down to the motor...in both a CYMA and an older Echo 1 body, I’m having a hard time finding a good spot to drop the wiring down between the gearbox and body. I bought a new Lonex trigger contact assembly and thin 16 gauge ECO wire to try to get more length so I could mold the wiring around the back of the gearbox and into the grove in the body where the grip ends up. Looking down from the top it looks like the is plenty of clearance between the body and gearbox shell, but even when hugging the outside of the rear of the gearbox the presence of the wire causes the gearbox to tilt, which can affect the nozzle to hop chamber seal and knocks the selector lever attachment point off-center. I feel like I’m missing something but every video I’ve found makes it seem like there’s much more space available than what I’m seeing. Can anyone help?

2. Gray.

Gray. New Member

I might be able to give a small suggestion if you give a picture

3. John Daley

John Daley New Member

Gardner
    Certainly m, I appreciate it. The first is the shell I’m using to try to get the wire run correctly so I can cut it down and put the motor connectors on and how I’m trying to form the wire to the gearbox as tight as possible. The second shows the notch in the body where the wiring is meant to run to continue to the motor cage raceway. The third shows how the gearbox rides with one wire tucked (I had to shrink tube the wire as previous attempts pinched the wire bare). The final picture is hopefully clear enough to show the positioning. One of the biggest aggravation is that I’m using wire that is significantly smaller in diameter than the original.
    Thank you for any ideas you have.

Attached Files:

4. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    The wires get run down the left side of the gearbox don't they?

Like this:
    lct_pk_114_l_800x.jpg

It looks like you're trying to reroute the wires to another spot for some reason?

Your gearbox also looks kinda bowed at the back? Or maybe you don't have all the screws in.

5. John Daley

John Daley New Member

Gardner
    Good eye, it’s just a duplicate shell I’m using to try to get the wires right, but screwed together it’s still problematic. The issue with going down the side as in your example and how it was run when I opened it was that the selector spacer and plate chewed the wiring, causing a short and cycling the gun as soon as the battery was plugged in. I guess I have to live with the tightness and the heat shrink seems to be holding up so as long as I’m not missing something I’ll make do. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

6. Peeque

Peeque Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Lancaster
    Ah ok. I've never heard of that happening before.

Maybe route the wires normally along the side but bend the wires around that gear and tape them in place?

You could also try similarly to how you have them in your first picture but bend the wires around to the side at the rear of the shell where the spring guide and then back to behind it.

7. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

The wires are meant to go on the left then wrap around the side/back of the motor cage. I recommend 16g ptfe wire but I've fit 14 gauge double coated wire before without any tight spots. Its doable. You might have just had the wire get snagged up in a weird way before.

kazuchan likes this.
  8. Gray.

Gray. New Member

Ben and Peeque can probably give better suggestions then I can, but maybe just fit it in how it was before? If it's a little tight then it should be kept away from the selector spacer and plate and not get chewed up. I'm probably just restating what both of them said, but I think it will be fine.