VERY Slow trigger response

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ncore, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Ok, so I have an m16 with 130 spring and upgraded piston. The motor is a jg stock long type motor.

When ever I want to fire, it takes about 2-3 seconds for the gun to actually fire. When on single fire and I tap the trigger, the spring goes back half way and I have to keep holding it to complete the cycle.

I am using an 8.4v nimh battery, wired to tamiya, soon to deans as soon as I get ahold of a soldering iron, and i got an 11.4v lipo in the mail.

Also, resistance wiring is installed and it is rewired to the back.

I need to know, is the problem most likely with the motor or the gearbox? If it is with the motor, will this one fix the problem?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SHS-Standard-Replacement-Long-Torque-Motor-for-M4-AEG-Airsoft-/321003140017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd4733b1

I have an airsoft game on Nov. 11 and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    That's not the stock spring is it?
    Troubleshooting: Is your battery fully charged?
    When did this start happening? Right after an upgrade?
    Does the shot (besides the delay factors) sound normal?
    Is the motor acting weird? ie smelling, heating, twitchy, ya know, funny business?

3. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    It is not stock spring
    Battery is brand new and fully charged, tried on 2 different batteries
    I got it used and this happened since I got it
    Shots sound completely normal, just that the time it takes for the spring to be pulled back is real slow, but its only a 130 spring shooting 420 fps
    No awkward motor stuff, but it might be old idk

Also, all of the wires look solid, no parts are touching. It would not be a problem in the gearbox would it?

Thanks

4. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    I would suggest it's simply a matter of either A) simply not enough power from the 8.4v which doesn't make a ton of sense to me, or B) a trigger connector issue perhaps.

Some really really good tech is gonna respond here in a sec and make me look stupid. Haha. But since you've got a lipo on it's way, that should test theory A well. I am not goo with wire problems though. So someone else will have to help if that's the issue.

5. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Is there a possibility that it could be the motor itself?

6. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Sure. And the one you added from EBay isn't bad. I've had success with SHS parts, but I'm not familiar with their motors. You might want to grab a high torque motor instead of a standard torque because if the problem is near inability to pull back the piston, then a more powerful motor can't hurt. A bit more expensive, but itll handle more in the future. I would ask someone who has experience with SHS motors before buying this one, because it might be good enough.

7. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    The motor i posted is high torque, and I really wanted one in the first place... But if the gun was firing properly, the problem wouldnt be in the gears would it?

8. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Not stupid.

What JG motor is it? What color is the end bell? Blue, red, black?

Sounds like you're running the black motor which isn't powerful enough to run an M130 w/ an 8.4v effectively. You'll probably see an increase when running the 11.1v, assuming it's capable of delivering enough Amps...

As for that SHS motor, don't get it. That is the crappy ferrite version. Either get the true Neo Torque motor, or better yet go with a Lonex Red.

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    does a screwdriver stick to the motor (strong magnet?) if it doesn't then you need a stronger motor + stronger battery (9.6v or 7.4v LiPo). shimming affects rate of fire. expect your piston to fail without adjusting AOE.

10. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Maybe you ought to install a MOSFET along with the Deans once you get them, too. :p Just a suggestion.

Yeah, I'd get the Lonex red. I've heard a lot of positive things about them.

11. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Any of you guys have experience with a Systema Magnum motor?

12. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    okay so I thought it was it was a jg motor, idk why but it is actually an echo 1 long gray motor. And magnets stick to it VERY well.

edit: I am on a tight budget and was hoping to find a torque motor for under $30 shipped.

13. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I don't know if I would trust Systema's parts. I've heard some bad things about them.

14. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I know your problem. When you took it apart to change the spring you most likely knocked some shims out (common issue). Or you need to grease your gearbox. (I know some people who have had the same problem you are having and it's because there gearbox isn't greased well.

15. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

no, don't stick magnets to it, stick a screwdriver to it, does it look like this?
    [​IMG]
    IIRC those are just chaoli motors(cheap china made ferrite motors) which would be your problem, those are really not strong enough to pull anything above a stock spring effectively

as for torque motors, look at the JG blue, I'm sure most of the techs on here will agree on that for a good torque motor for cheap

16. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    SHS Torque motors used to be good, but I don't know if they are anymore. They have been going down in quality lately. I second the JG blues. Although they are very slow, they are torquey enough to pull an MS210.

17. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    @S0m3: Yes, that is what it looks like, just that it says echo 1 sticker is slapped on it

Ok guys thank you for all of your help, I will be getting buying a new motor.

I had to downgrade from a 130 spring to a 110 spring anyway, so I decided to open my gearbox (it was used so i didnt know what to expect)

It was the first gearbox i ever opened. God, was it a mess lol. Wire was stripped in several places and I had to repair it with electrical tape. Putting it back the gearbox took forever. Went from 10pm-2:30 am, went to bed, then tried again this morning at 7:15 and finally got that damn anti-reversal latch.

The gearbox is together, but today is a teacher in service day and instead of having a delay, we have something called a cyber day where we do everything online. I will try the gearbox out after I am done and tell you if the problem is fixed, if not, I guess im buying a motor :p

18. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Good work. And good luck. Keep us posted.

19. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Ok so the motor keeps ripping up this wire i keep repairing. The motor runs fine and fast but the gearbox is just.... bad...

I think I should buy a gearbox before i worry about a motor. Anybody know where I can get one for cheap, I really didnt want to be spending money like this.

20. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    You should have replaced the wire instead of using eletrical tape. It might hold up for now but don't expect it to be a long term fix. As far as the gun shooting wierd it could be that the 8.4 doesn't have enough amps. You should definatly see an improvement with a 11.1 Lipo. A new motor will also benifit you. As far as the GB being bad have you tried shimming / re-greasing / correcting the AOE ? Just these things will make a big improvement in the way it functions. I don't see a need for a new GB if you can just do some simple fixes and get it working.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012