VFC HK 416 Vs G&G Top Tech TR4-18

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by GoldenEagle, Nov 21, 2012.

1. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle New Member

Chicago
    I'm looking for a gun that hits hard and makes its presence known. My needs are two-fold: A reliable gun for skirmish at the nearby field, and a realistic but still versatile gun for MilSim Ops. I'm choosing the M416-style platform because these seem to be the unilateral obvious choice for milsim players because of their Rail systems, and options for attachments (especially important for milsim). Not to mention, they are much easier to find magazines for.

I chose the VFC because I hear this company has a solid reputation for good internals out of the box.Also because well, if you're going to do something, do it right the first time!

I chose the G&G Top Tech because The Top Tech Guns have low resistance wiring, the stock high orque motors are more efficient, and the pneumatic blowback system is famous because it doesn't take powere away from the gearbox. On top of that, it has a Monolithic top rail, and a 614 (416) style forward rail system and handguard.

Both guns are in the $400-450 range, and some retailers even send a carbine-length barrel with the VFC. What does the forum sayeth, comrades?

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Active Member

Both are good guns, but the VFC is your best choice for a couple reasons.
    1.Top Tech Blowback will EVENTUALLY break.
    2.VFC has correct trademarks.
    3.VFC has the correct pistol grip.
    4.VFC has better externals.
    Just my two cents. :3

3. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    The VFC without a doubt, especially if you're going to be doing milsim type play. Valkyrie covered the points pretty well. If you like the H&K41X series guns,consider the VFC oem'd ones. I was recently in a dilemna between both the VFCs but opted for the 417. Look into it, got alot of cool features as well as the reciever being slimmer, adding to the realism. Even the gearbox has been designed to make the grip more steeper and ergonomic like the real one.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I love G&G and I Suggest them all the time here because I think they're very reliable stock guns. That said, my VFC 416 blows away every G&G I've owned. There's just no comparison. The VFC shoots better, looks better, and feels better than the G&G by a mile. Drop the extra coin, you won't regret it.

5. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle New Member

Chicago
    The HK417 aeg looks really solid, my only concern is the magazines. The 417 has special magazines, but will the receiver even accep STANAG? it's a lot easier to find real cap or midcaps in STANAG configuration....

6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Active Member

NOOOO... The 417 is chambered in 7.62 and the STANAG is chambered for 5.56. It only accepts HK-417 mags. I know this is off topic, but the mags will only fit in certian pouches.

7. soticman

soticman I like Koch Supporting Member

The HK416 is chambered in 5.56 in real life, so the airsoft version runs off STANAG. The HK417 is chambered in 7.62x51, which is a larger round, therefore requiring a different magazine.(The airsoft versions are larger and can be quite a bit more expensive than the STANAG mags the 416 runs off) You said you wanted the 416, so it WILL be STANAG and will accept almost any M4/M16 style magazine. Note that the HK416 does not accept PMAGS.

8. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle New Member

Chicago
    Many of you have made a great case for the VFC 416. So, I will in fact go with that one, are the internals reliable enough where I won't feel the need to swap parts immediately?

I've heard of people swapping out the stock inner barrel for a tightbore almost immediately, and installing a long motor. Is that unnecessary?

9. Scarred

Scarred Active Member

VFC makes solid internals. I don't think you need to worry about upgrading for now.

10. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle New Member

Chicago
    What if I need it to be carbine-length? Won't that require some internal work? Unless it's all CQ, I've never heard of a 416 being good for a MilSim op.

I know that seems like a stupid question, but I prefer carbine length because it's a solid middle ground functionality, without pigeon holing yourself into DM role, and I'm not sacrificing range, either. Airsoft Extreme HAD (notice, PAST tense) a 416 that came with a 14.5" barrel aside from the stock CQW barrel.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  11. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Nope, you're going from a 10.5" barrel to a 14.5" barrel (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "carbine length," since a 10.5" barrel is also carbine length). That difference in barrel volume shouldn't change the cylinder you need. If it does, swapping out a cylinder is easy.

As for it being good for milsim ops, it most certainly is. The HK 416 is the current SEAL rifle of choice, and gets some action from some SF units as well, I'm sure. It's definitely a legit part of a milsim kit.

12. jimfc3

jimfc3 New Member

evergreen park
    You will not need to change out the cylinder at all going from a 280 MM to a 363 MM barrel !!! once you get past 407 MM you need to worry

13. ProAirsoftSniper

ProAirsoftSniper New Member

Coto De Caza
    well as far as a longer barrel and milsim ready, i know the VFC already has amazing range for being a cqb gun, but if you want the longer barrel, just buy an m4 4" inch barrel extension and a longer inner barrel and it'll shoot like 160-200 ft easily