VFC internals

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Griffin213, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Griffin213

Griffin213 New Member

Hey so I am fairly new to doing my own internal work on airsoft guns and was going to maybe be getting a VFC gun to maybe do a little work on. I have heard that VFC internals are known for their self shimming gears but a lot of people don't like them. Why? I as a beginner in internal work think that this is a good thing considering from what I've heard that shimming gears is one of the hardest things to do in an airsoft gun. What is the whole point of self shimming gears? And how do they actually "self shim"? Would this be ok for a beginner in internal work?

2. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Well, just to make a quick point, you typically don't get expensive guns, (VFC, TM) to do tech work on.

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Here's some pictures of the gears themselves. As you can see, they self shim by using a spring.

Sector gear:
    [​IMG]

Spur Gear:
    [​IMG]

Bevel Gear (Doesn't have any springs):
    [​IMG]

Now on to why it's not suggested to be used for an extended amount of time and why I replaced that as soon as I got my VFC. Sure, this mechanism is an ingenious invention, but it is too imprecise. The springs push the gears against eachother, causing unneeded friction. Sometimes, the gear shaft will even stick out of the gearbox itself.

4. Griffin213

Griffin213 New Member

Would they be ok for a time being for a beginner in internal work like me who doesn't know how to shim yet?

5. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Sure. Go for it. It's not going to sound as good as a perfectly shimmed gearbox though.

6. Griffin213

Griffin213 New Member

Ok thanks for the help.