Vfc mk17 scar vltor stock (vss-11)

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by isaiah_e_arlobes, Jun 24, 2015.

1. isaiah_e_arlobes

isaiah_e_arlobes New Member

Orange
    Hello fellow airsofters! First off, let me say that I am new to posting in airsoft forums, or any for that matter, so excuse me if I make mistakes. And now for what I came here for. So I have been mining for answers for the past month or so looking through numerous forums for answers behind this question and doing extensive research on the parts themselves and and had to ask this question: Can a VLTOR VSS-11 Enhanced SCAR Buttstock Fit on a VFC MK17, and if not, how can I mod it to work/what alternate parts would substitute the VFC center stock part, without need of changing the special folding plate with its "wireless" connecting system? So I went out and picked myself up one from MidwayUSA.com for about 100.00 USD to test this myself and I can answer the first part of my question: NO, IT WILL NOT FIT (yet). Now, this is where I need help. Do the internals of a WE-Tech SCAR stock resemble/work with the real steel FN Herstal counterparts? And will I be able to purchase one and keep the unique wiring system unhindered with/without modification to the WE-Tech SCAR Stock (Assuming this is compatible with the FN Herstal parts and, in this case, aftermarket accessories) and still keep, at least, my factory connector base plate for the stock? Thank you soo much, I can't explain how hard I've been searching for the solutions to these issues and have not been answered.

Pictures:
    Image 1: Vltor Buttstock (Left) next to VFC Scar Buttstock (Right) on their sides.
    Image 2: Vltor (Left) and VFC (Right) standing
    Image 3: Vltor Close Up (Buffer Area)
    Image 4: VFC Close Up (Buffer Area)
    Image 5: Vltor Butt Compartment
    Image 6: VFC Butt Compartment
    Image 7: VFC Stock/Cheek Riser internal
    Image 8:VFC Hinge System
    Image 9: VLTOR Build Reference
    Image 10: My Build Plan (Drawn by me)

Attached Files:

2. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Whoa. this is cool!!

3. Kiyoflame

Kiyoflame Active Member

Prescott
    Un-frikin'-believable... I was planning to do the exact same thing to my Mk.17...

Shame that it won't drop in, I was really hoping it would.

Some guy a few years back did put this stock onto his WE Mk.16 (though you've probably already seen it before if you've researched a little): http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/273440-zebras-ultimate-scar-build/
    (Edit: An area that really scares me with compatibility that I did not notice before is how the owner bought a real steel stock module, which leads me to suspect that he either:
    1. Bought it so he would have no fitment issues to begin with, or
    2. He bought it because the VLTOR stock would not fit the WE module.
    I really hope it is the former...)

From what I can see:
    -Measure the dimensions of both stocks, inside and out. Especially remember to measure the section that slides into the module, as well as the guides on the top and bottom of the stock, shown in Image 3.
    -One area that I do see you running into trouble with is getting the stock adjustment button system to fit. Based on what I've looked up, the actual SCAR button mechanism should swap out relatively easy with the VLTOR, but I have no idea if VFC copied their system. Maybe you could find a spare real steel button and see if it is compatible with the VFC locking system.
    -Based on Image 5, it looks like the stock isn't completely hollow through-and-through like the VFC. Might wanna take a cutting tool or dremel to the inside of the VLTOR to carve out some battery space.
    In regards to the wiring, if you were able to take out the VFC stock without any hinderance, you should have no problem keeping the wiring, as long as you only modify the VLTOR stock part and not the module itself.

Some questions to help clear out my confusions:
    -To what point does the VLTOR stock not fit? Can the stock not slide into the VFC module, or does it get hung up at some point during insertion?
    -Could you take a straight down picture of the VLTOR stock (like in Image 5)? It will help me get a better understanding of how the innards of the back look.

Thanks for being the guinea pig in this, and I wish you the best of luck!

Edit: PLEASE take whatever I have just said with a grain of salt. Though I do own a Mk.17 (an old E1 rebrand), all of these suggestions are just based upon speculation. If you're going to be modifying something with the VLTOR stock, check, check, and triple-check that you are dead set on going through with that modification, because should you mess up, it'll be $100 down the drain, and another $100 for another test subject (that might not work as well).

So please, don't go on with any of my suggestions unless you yourself are sure that it might help.

I'm just a guy on the other side of the Interwebs, I don't want to screw you over.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  4. isaiah_e_arlobes

Orange
    Okay, so after spending an hour or so contemplating the logical conclusion that these two nubs i found on the stock were preventing it from sliding into the VFC module, I decided to make the final deciscion to shave them down and fit it. Turns out this decision allowed the stock to slide in perfectly up to the second to last number. What I can assume prevented it from reaching its final stage is that the wiring blocks it. So like you mentioned, i think the next best thing to do is dremel out the wall to hollow out the the stock all the way through like the VFC counterpart. Now this will bring into question how I can manage to use the extension system from the VFC and put it into the VLTOR. Looking into this, i believe i'll have to create molds and mounts myself in the stock, which could potentially blockade the storage compartment on the VLTOR. I will take a look again when I get back and try to make a conclusion and keep this project updated as suffice as I can be.

5. Kiyoflame

Kiyoflame Active Member

Prescott
    I did some searching last night, and it seems that FNH does not sell only their extension button for their SCARs; apparently, the entire module has to be bought (which is $150).

Your best bet is probably what you stated, making the mold. It will most likely block up the extra storage, but hey, it'll still look awesome.

Just a sidenote: on that picture you drew, you also wanted a CASV rail to go on your gun. I bought an airsoft counterpart of one, and some cutting had to be done to get it to fit (to both the handguard and the little segments that are in line with the charging handle). If you haven't already bought and installed it, keep this in mind.

6. isaiah_e_arlobes

Orange
    That'll have to be it haha, but i'll keep my steps updated for reference to whoever. I know how hard this has been without enough resources so hopefully they will be able to do the same for their stuff if they decide to buy a VSS-11. And, if you don't mind me asking, which brand CASV did you buy and do you have a picture of the modification?

7. Kiyoflame

Kiyoflame Active Member

Prescott
    It's this one, only in tan:
    http://www.evike.com/products/41927/

The handguard section of the rail is made for a Mk.16, and when meshed with the Mk.17 lower receiver, it blocks it from locking in.
    Cutting needed to be done to the section that overlapped the lower receiver:
    [​IMG]

The next and final modification has to do with the two "winglets?" on the sides of the CASV. The area that is specifically cut for the Mk.16's front sling points does not line up properly with the Mk.17, so I cut the "winglets" to make a wider area. [​IMG]

I messed up when cutting them (I cut both segments the same way so when they are flipped, they are not mirror images of each other), so I lopped off the other half too.[​IMG]
    You should have 5 holes instead of 4 if done right.

Also note that I did not cut through the whole segment. I had to stop before I reached the holes to which the segments would screw on:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Overall, it doesn't look half bad. I still need to give it some paint though.[​IMG]

8. isaiah_e_arlobes

Orange
    Beautiful! I plan on getting the real steel extension when I purchase mine, so I hope its compatible with the airsoft one. I've included a picture of the stock in the smallest position as well of the nubs shaved off for it to fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015