VFC Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by hooah2619, Nov 12, 2015.

1. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    I have a VFC M16 and I'm putting an M130 spring in it. What else should I look at upgrading along with this. Some things I'd been told are obviously the motor,shim job and piston. Some have also mentioned gears, and tappet plate. I already have a new bucking and barrel so I don't need those. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    Rewire your gun, that could help. everything else I think you pretty much said is fine.

3. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    What is your reason for installing an m130 spring, what FPS are you going for? The VFC gearboxes are pretty good standard, but every gun can use some improvement. Also please give a budget$?

-The shimming and gears, your gears are fine for an m130 but be sure to take out the spring that they use for auto shimming. It doesn't work!

-Id upgrade the piston just for an extended life span of the overall gearbox, a SHS blue full MT piston will work fine, and its cheap.

-The stock tappet plate is fine, no need to change it unless the stock one is broken.

To give you any other advice for your gearbox, I would need to know your performance goals and what your budget is? What are you trying to do with this gun?

4. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Performance goals are increased FPS as well as range. It's a DMR Project. My budget is around $150. Right now what i have in my cart at Brill armory is the spring, motor, and piston which add up to $44 dollars. Some people have also mentioned getting a nukefet to improve trigger response and reliability

5. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    Well can you list the parts that you already have like the barrel, bucking, battery and any other after market parts that you may have bought. Also please tell me the brand and name of the products you plan to buy, telling me that you are buying a spring, motor, and piston does nothing. I have no idea if these parts are good or bad or if they will even flow together.

As for the nukefet, it will do very little to improve your trigger response. It will however give you the option to use an 11.1v lipo which if used properly can give you amazing trigger response. It all depends on your motor, gears, spring, and how they work together with the batteries voltage.

What FPS is your gun shooting at now, you may not need to change it. Range comes more from your hop-up mods than it does from FPS, just something you should know before you go FPS crazy! Higher FPS does allow you to use heavier bbs which can lead to better range aswell, but you may be good on that.

So again I need to know a little more before I can give you any solid information.

6. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Parts I already have are a Madbull 6.03 with a Maple leaf 70 Bucking. I use an 11.1v 2000mah battery with a 15C-25C discharge rate. Parts in my cart are a ZCI motor, SHS M130 and a SHS 14.5 tooth blue piston. Gun shoots around 315-325 with .28s and I do want to move to Heavier BBs which is why I'm looking for FPS. The barrel is getting r hopped which should take care of the range that I'm looking for

7. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Some people have mentioned also switching out the hop up unit to a Prowin, Prommy or Lonex. Is that worth it?

8. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    Well if your using an 11.1v then you most definitely need a mosfet. You need to get a high torque motor not high speed. Don't get an SHS spring, they are very bad for many reasons, I'd get a guarder or prometheus. I like guarder tho. That piston will work great just glue the rack down with epoxy and it will last longer. Who are you having install the R-hop? Its important!

9. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    It depends on what the stock hop-up is, if its metal then I wouldn't worry about it.

I think its plastic tho, so yes you could upgrade it to a lonex hop-up unit, it will be more consistent then your plastic unit.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Person I'm having install the Rhop is a tech who works at my local airsoft store. But all the other advice is noted. Is there anything else i should pick up for my weapon?

11. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    is that post meant to be blank? lol

12. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    Well no its not, I actually have no clue how this happened? If you try to post a blank post it says 20 characters, so I have no clue what happened. I typed a Whole message and I guess its just not showing? I'll retype it tho.

Basically what I said was that you left off your compression mods/parts. A DMR or any gun thats built for range and accuracy needs this, it helps with consistency, range and reliability. The parts that you left off are the piston head, cylinder, cylinder head and air nozzle. It really depends on what level of DMR you plan to have, if you want a absolute pushed to the limits gun then you need these parts, but if you don't have the money for it then I guess you could stick with the stock parts and still get pretty good performance. If you don't buy new compression parts then you need to read the stickies and learn how to do compression mods and work with the parts that you already have. Its up to you.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  13. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Recommended brands for those parts you listed?

14. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
  15. DreadCo526

DreadCo526 New Member

Sylvester
    Well it really depends on your barrel length but this compression set would work. I however do not like Lonex compression parts, I like some of them but I think they are overpriced for what your actually getting. Here are the parts I would use:

-Piston head, Lonex POM Ventilation Piston Head.
    It will work great and last a long time. This is the only Compression part I use made by Lonex its worth the extra money. But I think all the other parts are way over priced and difficult to use.

-Cylinder head, SHS M4/AR 7075 CNC Double O-ring Cylinder Head.
    I like the SHS cylinder head for a few reasons, the first would be that it fits sorbo pads alot better then the Lonex cylinder head. The other reason is the price, SHS$8 and Lonex$12 so its up to you but I think that the SHS is a better unit then the lonex.

-Air-nozzle, SHS M4/AR Aluminum O-ring Air Nozzle.
    Again I like the SHS better then the lonex air nozzle. This one is full metal, has a tighter o-ring, and is only $4 so its cheaper and higher quality.

-I like a ZCI steel cylinder matched up to whatever your barrel length is. Its $9 and the lonex is $15.

So this is a better cheaper setup In my opinion but others would disagree so its up to you. And no the piston does not matter for compression it can be Lonex, Guarder, RA, or SHS it doesn't matter but I would go with the SHS piston you have planned.

16. hooah2619

hooah2619 Member

Piscataway
    Thank you very much for everything. I appreciate it.