Video Game Weapons section provoking CODsofting?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by KDAalternative, Dec 28, 2012.

1. KDAalternative

KDAalternative New Member

Chipley
    On some airsoft retailer websites like AirSplat have a section called something along the lines of Video Game Weapons. It has weapons included in games like COD and GTA. Do you think this supports and provokes CODsofting? Explain your ideas and tell what you think.

2. backyardsn1per

backyardsn1per New Member

Fennimore
    I think that that it is mainly used so that if someone is new to airsoft and has no clue about airsoft pick a weapon platform they like. Just my $.02

3. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    I agree with this. But I also thinks it will draw more little kids into airsoft for the wrong reason. So instead of playing to meet new people or simulate the military, they are playing airsoft to replicate video games. This is whats ruining airsoft.

4. TacticalChef

TacticalChef New Member

San Francisco
    i feel you. if someone want's an airsoft gun only because they saw it in BF3 or something, chances are they aren't going to blossom into the kind of airsofter the community likes/needs. most folks who have a genuine interest in things that this sport deals with have enough knowledge of firearms to identify their favorites in games without the need of a special section. really if you don't know the silhouette of a g36 then you probably don't need to be shooting people with a fake one.

5. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

I'm going to go to a local field and challenge all the codsofters to a codsoft vs airsoft fight

6. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Retailers that have "Video Game Loadout" sections do promote "CoDsofting", but they mainly have those sections for gaining money. They take the game people enjoy, produce a cheap "airsoft loadout" copy of it, and in return gain a large sum of money from those who don't know any better than to buy the product(s).

7. Carpathia

Carpathia Active Member

Springfield
    This is kind of funny, since I'm the opposite of this. I've always liked the M4 platform, so when playing COD I tend to favor that weapon type. I have not been out to play airsoft yet, but I can't imagine trying to use he same tactics I use in-game out in the field. Seems like I would get hit a lot quicker.

8. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    We are trying to discourage people slamming CODsofters here, but I don't think this thread is going in that direction, and I hope it won't.

I look down on people that make fun of or pick on others that are accused of "CODsofting."
    We shouldn't just pick on, but try to help them know the difference between these video games and more realistic scenarios.

If you see knew people joining the forum, that speak of, or reference COD, or any other similar game, don't go and call them out. If their knowledge is incorrect, guide them to the correct knowledge and help them learn.

That is all.

9. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I totaly agree. We shouldn't let the idiocy of a few ruin it for the rest, and then brand them in the same lot.

10. Dante

Dante New Member

Omaha
    most people at my field (200 or so every saturday) don't know jack about real firearms unless they're counted amongst the military or law enforcement personnel there.
    in my experience most civilian airsofters only know where the safety, and mag releases on weapons just because of airsoft....but again this is just my experience. (and other than knowing the 4 universal rules, caliber, and how to disassemble a firearm there's not much else to know beyond the very specifics.)

11. KDAalternative

Chipley
    I wasn't trying to pick on them I just wanted to hear everyone's ideas

12. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Tada! See, one of the first things I said.

13. PnutButtaToast

PnutButtaToast New Member

South Bend
    When I first saw an airsoft gun and learned what airsoft is my first thought was, "Sweet! I can get up off my couch and go out and shoot my friends like on CoD." Course I was more realistic about it and knew that running all over with a sniper, shot gun, or just a knife wasn't going to work so well here. And using a game to pick out your guns and gear seems like a great place to start in airsoft and to start learning about your favorite firearms.

I would also personally love to go up to an airsoft field in full Spartan Mark IV armor with a battle rifle and pistol.

14. KDAalternative

Chipley
    Haha yeah I started off by going: OMG! I'm gonna get me a Tiger Paint Commando!

15. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

I was the kid who played cod then went to airsoft
    I don't codsoft, I started out thinking cod was too unrealistic to take serously. That made me the kid looking for realism.

16. KDAalternative

Chipley
    Yeah, I don't codsoft, I did one game and got so embarrassed. No more codsoft for me.

17. Carpathia

Carpathia Active Member

Springfield
    I'm actually a moderator at 405th.com, a forum for people who build halo armor. This is often a source of argument over there since armor that would be strong enough for airsoft/paintball would be difficult to wear safely.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  18. FSTK

FSTK Member

what does it mean to "codsoft"? you guys use the term so casually I hate being left out.

19. KDAalternative

Chipley
    It means someone who plays airsoft like, "Ermahgerd I am going to own a$$ with a red tiger Commando with a grenade launcher!" Basically someone who plays airsoft by the terms of Call Of Duty.

20. _xHawkenx_

_xHawkenx_ New Member

I think its ok to play airsoft for what ever reason even if they are "Codsofting"
    As long as everyone knows were not shooting to kill (figure of speech), just simulating military combat, and having a good time