Want to Start the Madness....

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by cjw58, May 31, 2016.

1. cjw58

cjw58 New Member

Columbus
    Hey all,

So I've had my JG SOPMOD M4 for a few weeks now, played with it, and now want to upgrade it. I've heard all over that replacing the hop up and adding a tight bore barrel are the best first mods you can do (especially for a JG M4) but I got a little confused once I started getting deeper than that. I was looking at this hop up unit http://www.evike.com/products/25930/ but read somewhere that JGs use 2 piece hop ups? Can someone confirm or bust this for me? Also, I know prommy makes an excellent barrel but it's so much money; is the mad bull black python (http://www.evike.com/products/24373/) okay or is it a waste of money? What else will I need to get this gun on a competitive level? Thanks for any input!

2. drdave88

drdave88 Member

Waterford
    Unless you want to modify the body (cutting) you can't use a 1 piece hop up. Also. You have to remove the upper receiver differently if you use a 1 piece hop up due to the air nozzle. Basically not a good idea. The madbull barrel is a decent one for the price. You may also want to flat hop it, google that for more details.
    I'm assuming you want accuracy when you say "competitive". Other mods will take you inside the gearbox.

3. cjw58

cjw58 New Member

Columbus
    Okay, thanks. I thought it couldn't use a 1 piece but wasn't sure. Would you recommend this http://www.evike.com/products/33354/ or do you have any other suggestions of what I should look into? Also yes, I have been looking into flat and r hopping. I know someone who can do the flat hop so I may ask him to do it for me.

4. drdave88

drdave88 Member

Waterford
    You won't really gain anything by replacing the hop up unit. The only reason to replace a 2 piece is if there is a problem with it. Just stay with what you have

5. cjw58

cjw58 New Member

Columbus
    So you think I should just flat or r hop it then? And add a tightbore

6. drdave88

drdave88 Member

Waterford
    Yep, a new hop up unit won't do anything for you. It's still going to be a 2 piece plastic hop up

7. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    I just converted a friend's two piece hop up gun to a one piece and it did not involve modifying the receiver, I modified the hop up, particularly the feed tube. In short, the hop up unit I used had a flange around the feed tube, I simply cut and shaped it to match the opening for the two piece's feed tube. The only problem is the hop up and barrel must be installed in the lower receiver and then add the upper, so field stripping is not going to be easy if at all possible.

I did this to improve his air seal as he was getting a lot of blow by where the two pieces of the hop up met and this was causing serious pressure loss. After the mod, his pressure returned and his gun is shooting much better now. Anyway, point is it is possible, but it does come with some disadvantages.

Hope this helps in some small way.

8. drdave88

drdave88 Member

Waterford
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, just not worth it if there are no issues with what he has currently.

9. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Never said you did, just giving him some additional and pertinent information. After all, there's more than one way to skin a cat or take out an enemy, whichever is applicable.:D:eek: