WE HK416 initial setup

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by schueller, Sep 16, 2012.

1. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    I bought one of these on Friday fron airsplat with a propane adapter and bbs for 310 shipped (open bolt). It arrives Thursday and wondering if there is anything I should do before firing the first mag?

Its my first gbb and I have the silicone oil and some grease to use. Any feedback on the rifle (experienced only please) is appreciated, along with any tips for a gbb newbie.

Thanks!

2. Steeljaw36

Steeljaw36 Member

Millsboro
    Give the barrel a good cleaning before you use it, keep the gun lubed and always store the magazine with a little gas in it (more importantly, the silicon is what you need, regardless of weither you use duster or gg/propane, as the silicon is what keeps the seals and orings from drying out)

3. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    Thanks for the advice!

4. StrayBullet

StrayBullet GAIN TIME Supporting Member

Goodfellow AFB
    With my experience with gas guns, (and I own an HK 416 :D ) most of them will arrive in one of two conditions: Dry as a desert, or over-lubed. The VERY first thing you want to do is familiarize yourself with it's takedown techniques, give it a solid cleaning with paper towels or a rag, and rod the barrel with a 6mm barrel rod/accessories. Once you have cleaned it, begin applying lube over parts that would look like they cause metal-on-metal contact. This would include: bolt, charging handle, trigger, trigger springs, disconnector, roller on trigger/bolt, and any other places you deem lube to be utilized. If your gun is over-lubed upon initial inspection, remove as much of the factory lube as possible, and utilize silicon spray and oil to get your lubrication fix. Personally, I prefer using Blowback Armory's "EWL" (Extreme Weapons Lubricant). Stock up on a couple of bottles of that, and you should be good for quite some time. Any more questions, please, ask, and I will help out as much as possible.

5. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    Glad to hear from an experienced user, i'll look into that EWL and be sure to give it a proper clean/lube job.

6. StrayBullet

StrayBullet GAIN TIME Supporting Member

Goodfellow AFB
    No problem. Let me know how you like it when it arrives. I used mine last Saturday, pulled some good distance kills, and was the star of the show at the end of the day when I did 6 mag dumps on full auto...all the guys were like "I'm glad you used semi only today"...I might have to break out the automatic side this coming Saturday

7. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    The gun got here last night, and it did not disappoint. the onnly thing i could complain about is the hop up, which isnt broken in yet. but there is more kick than i was expecting, and can get 3 mags from one 10 second propane charge. its so much better than any aeg, 10x the experience.

8. Landa

Landa New Member

Miami
    A++++ cleaning guide here: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=104159 its for the brass tube AWSS system... so when it tells you to lube the o rings in the brass tube, pull the nozzle and lube the piston's o ring instead.. only ONE drop of silicone, it is the #1 enemy of your bucking.. none of that stuff should get close to it.

Also, the rest of your lubing should be Super Lube... read more about it in the guide, its the best stuff there is! Synthetic FTW... lube everything with it.

The WE 416 stock should preform more than great... eventually parts will break though, and generally by then you upgrade to RA tech/ steel... Btw, it uses VSR bucking, so a REAPS wouldn't hurt at 10$.

Thats the thing I miss from WE GBBR's, the vast amount of aftermarket parts... getting closer to WA every year, i really miss that... Maybe ill return to WE one day.. Anyways, good choice! Hope you enjoy it!

If you have any questions, let me know, i used to run WE M4's until they couldn't no more!

edit: Once you get magazines, might wanna get them from an asian retailer like airsoft buddy, so you get the gen 2 mags, or else you are gonna have a bad time with blue gasket and what not :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    +10,000 to that guide, extremely helpful. followed it and gave my gun the proper maintenance it needs. thanks for the post!

UPDATE: after another 10-15 magazines, the hop up is more consistent and adjusted, barrel cleaned, and very accurate. Note, airsplat brand bb's do suck the D.

question though, one in every 5-7 bb's will just drop as if the hop up had no effect on it. what causes this? thanks a ton to you both.

10. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    screw cleaning it, I just pulled my bolt out and sprayed the gun down in silicone, then used/stored it.

11. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

All the cleaning goes to real steel, eh?

12. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    I dont even clean my real steel. I wipe the bolt and relube.

m4's dont need to be clean to shoot!

13. Scarred

Scarred New Member

I don't think that's how it works...but okay.

14. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    Did your gbbr work well like that?

15. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    worked totally fine, never had any issues really. just avoid sraying your hop-up bucking (if your open bolt) and your golden.

16. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    How long did you go until something broke internal?

17. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    I never really broke anything while the gun was in stock form.

18. Landa

Landa New Member

Miami
    who ever has that gun now is having a very bad time... clean after every game day. Follow the guide, GBBR's are mechanical, its science and stuff.

Anyways, how i prevent oil in bucking issues? Straight propane :) KJW mags are amazing, haven't had issues in almost a year of use (its my only gun, and i play once a month.)

I only lube the piston's o ring, one drop, every clean/relube (after one day of playing), because that will dry out quickly. Well, when i store the mags, i do add a couple of drops directly to the fill valve and fill for 1s, and thats all.

I tried doing the same with my WE 1911.... yea, no. bearly lasted half a day.. before all were leaking. I guess its not for everyone.

19. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    hey guys, did your hop up work consistently out of the box? mine is really temperamental and inconsistent. what's the break in period for gbbr's?

20. Landa

Landa New Member

Miami
    Its similar to an AEG's... its just gonna take longer as you are using 30rd magazines :p WE's bucking's are OK, not JG bad quality, but no 2GX either lol..

Just avoid getting any lube or oil, etc on the bucking.