WE MSK Hop Up Problems

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by cteas21, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cteas21

cteas21 New Member

Charlotte
    Hey,
    So I bought a WE Tech MSK in black. It shoots well, crisp and hard recoil, easy maintenance, however I have been having issues with the hop up.

- I haven't broken it in fully yet, but I can get a flat trajectory.
    - The problem is: On the first shot after a break, the BB will go about 40 feet then drop off. Subsequent shots are fine, but the first shot never has the correct trajectory.
    - Weather where I live is normal, so it doesn't have to do with that.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

2. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    What kind of break are you taking about?
    Something short like a reload, or longer like a break between a game?

Chances are the hopup puts enough pressure on the BB to hop it but not enough to secure it in the chamber when it gets bumped around, so after some time the BB works it's way forward and out from under the nub, resulting in the little-to-none hop it has.
    Follow-up shots don't have time to get bumped loose so they still get the full hop.

What weight of BB are you using?
    If you go heavier then the higher pressure from the nub should help hold the BB's better.

Clean out your chanber as well.
    If there is oil in the chamber and on the bucking it will reduce the gripping ablities of the bucking.

3. cteas21

cteas21 New Member

Charlotte
    Thanks for the reply.

1.) The break is normally between mags. The first bb doesn't hop, or if I let the gun sit for about 5 minutes without shooting.
    2.) I use .30 gram Valken BB's.
    3.) The gun is brand new, so I'll clean out everything.
    4.) With little to no hop, the gun still can over hop, so the nub pressure isn't there yet, as if I put the hop up higher it will shoot skyward.

Thanks

4. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Sounds like a WE thing. I have had a lot of issues like this that just require some TLC or aftermarket parts to fix.

Normally I replace the bucking with a decent aftermarket one (Lonex, Future Energy, RA Tech or Guarder), replace the nub with one cut from an Oring (Orings of that diameter are 90 cents at Ace) and shim the arm so there is no wiggle room (All my WE hopups were loose from the factory which would lead to hopup issues).

I would also recommend that you sand down the bucking nub slightly so it has an arch. this will act the same way as a Flathop and give the BB a little more stability when hopped.

Make sure you keep you bucking dry.
    I have had all my stock WE buckings and an RA tech bucking swell because they got too much oil.
    When they swell up they loose their seal with the barrel and leak like no ones business (150fps with .30g BB's and an open NPAS).

5. cteas21

cteas21 New Member

Charlotte
    Hmmmm,
    What would be the best aftermarket barrel and hop up assembly then?
    I have experience with AEG hop ups, is it the same to flat hop and install buckings and nubs with GBBR's?