WE SCAR-L GBB bolt issue

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ItaLiaNKiinG, Apr 5, 2019.

1. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Hello, I'm having an issue where when firing after the last bb the bolt wont lock back, instead it fires a few more times blank before locking back, when I manually charge the handle with an empty mag it always catches flawlessly, only when shooting it will it fail to lock back. Also it seems like when the magazine is almost empty of green gas, it will lock back more effectively, anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

2. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

3. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    Can you check to see if there is wear on the bolt catch? You also need to inspect the magazine to see if the follower is worn down where the bolt would catch onto after the last shot. In your situation, the bolt locks when you manually charge the handle, since you are not doing it as fast as when the gun normally cycles on the last shot. This is also why it seems to be working more often when you are almost out of gas; there is less speed behind the bolt so it is able to catch more frequently. Post pictures of the bolt catch and the magazine follower for us to better assist you.

ItaLiaNKiinG likes this.
  4. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Here you go, if you need better images or different angles let me know

Attached Files:

5. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    If you push up on the mag slightly while shooting does it lock back? I had a we scar gbbr many moons ago (well, I’ve had a few of them lol) and the common issue on all of them was the mags were sitting slightly low on the mag catch, causing unreliable last round hold open. I ended up shimming the mags instead of modifying the catch (I was selling the scars to get rid of them) to let them sit ~0.5mm higher. All also had the issue of unreliable semi auto cycling due to the trigger pack wearing funny (which were nodded to work)

I don’t like gbbr’s :-/ (love gbbp’s though)

ItaLiaNKiinG likes this.
  6. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    I'll definitely try that out in a few minutes, I watched a Youtuber that did a really easy mod for the magazine that held it a bit higher, might be the issue, I'll get back with you after I test it out. Thanks! Oh and btw, I only choose gbbr's due to it's realism in function and field strip, if it wasn't for those 2 reasons I'd happily run aeg's

7. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Yep, that's exactly why it wont lock back, every time I give it a little pressure upwards it locks back every time... I should've known.. almost listened to this one Youtuber and almost decided to bend the bolt that's next to the nozzle towards it, lol.. wouldn't have ended well, thankfully you reminded me about the mag. Thanks again!

8. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    What do I have to do shimming wise? I tried the washer where the screw goes on the bottom to elevate the internal mag a bit higher but it's not working that well, it increases the chances of the bolt locking back, but not 100%

9. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Iirc, I used an oring as a spacer between the mag shell and the “guts” inside. Same idea as you with a washer. You might be better off building up material on the mag catch. You can experiment with pop can shims and glue it down with some CA. Once you find what thickness works best, you can use some more robust adhesive.

10. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Yeah.. I tried using a credit card and shimming right below the feeder where the shell meets the internal lip, seemed like it was working good for a couple mags, then started again.. the sweet spot is non existent to me.. either it's too high where the mag wont lock in place or it's too low to where the bolt wont lock.. would buying a new mag and bolt catch fix the problem? I know it's the mag position because when putting upwards pressure on the mag it locks back every time.. I went through a full mag of gas testing it to see and it never failed.

11. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    The picture of your bolt stopper on your magazine wasn't a good enough resolution for me to tell how worn down it was, but first I would try using tape around your magazine or applying some inside the magwell so that the magazine does not sit low when inserted. If you have access to other magazines you can narrow down the issue to either the gun or the magazine. Best case scenario, the tape provides a temporary fix. Worst case scenario, you either need to replace parts #100, #141, or #108.
    http://www.greekairsoft.gr/manuals/...=WE-TECH&Filename=WE+SCAR+explode+diagram.pdf

I would also try shimming the little square window on your magazine where the magazine catch would normally lock the mag into position. If the measurements were off from the factory + a little wear, there is enough play for the magazine to drop slightly making the bolt catch non-functional.

12. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Is there a good site that I can use these numbers to buy them? I'd rather take the permanent fix instead to be honest.. I don't like running into problems which I know will happen, I just want to limit it if I can.

13. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

https://www.kyairsoft.com/ is somewhere you can look for oem we parts. My dealings with them have been ok.

(My dealings with CBSA here in Canada with orders from them not so much)

fred_ditto likes this.
  14. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Okay, thank you for the site, I'll definitely be buying #100 and #108 as for the mag, I'll just buy a new one.

15. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    I would suggest buying a new magazine first, either at your local store or on another Canadian airsoft website. If the new mag works perfectly then you will know exactly which part to replace.

16. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    Thanks for the tip, however I might've goofed on the bolt catch.. spring fell out and is now MIA.. so I'll probably have to buy that at least with the mag.. :oops:

17. ItaLiaNKiinG

ItaLiaNKiinG Member

Hudson
    I have one more question, how do I remove the flash hider? Just bought a tracer unit mock suppressor and I need to remove the flash hider in order to install it.