Wearing rig or vest over plate carrier?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Switchblaydes, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblaydes

Switchblaydes New Member

Sammamish
    My friend and I were debating wearing a chest rig or tactical vest over a plate carrier. I thought it would be good to wear a chest rig over a plate carrier, regardless of it's MOLLE or not. He thinks it's stupid and I should just get a MOLLE and buy mag pouches for each mag I use and that nobody wears rigs or vests over plate carriers.

Does anybody out there wear rigs/vests over MOLLE/non-MOLLE plate carriers with the plates in them?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat Active Member

I am gonna have to side with your friend.

3. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    With MOLLE you have the option to put your pouches where ever you want. With a chest rig you're pretty limited. Chest rigs are great if all you're carrying are mags and want a light load out, but if you're carrying anything else, a MOLLE PC is the way to go.

4. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

That is ridiculous. Just buy pouches. You would look like a fool and it won't work as well. If you have a quality plate carrier with molle you will never have to change your load out, you can just buy more pouches. If you use a chest rig on top you have to buy a whole new one every time.

5. cupcake5157

cupcake5157 New Member

Corvallis
    Ditch the plate carrier. I play with too many guys that got all this gear on and can never tell when Im blasting them.

6. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    It's not their fault that you can't shoot sensitive places, try aiming for the thigh someone why don't ya?

7. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    I get the feeling that you are using the plate carrier as protection instead of using it for what it's designed for.

Wearing a chest rig over a plate carrier is stupid... Just buy pouches for the plate carrier or ditch the plate carrier and wear just the chest rig.

Basically Choose one or the other. It's not a bad idea to have both this way you can change your loadout depending on game size but wear only one at a time.

8. brettcp97

brettcp97 New Member

birmingham
    I agree with your friend but only iff you are going for a us army loadout. If it is anyother loadout then it would look stupid.

9. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    You're referring to an FLC over an IOTV, I'm guessing? They are designed to be used together.

OP, you may be getting this idea from the concept of "slick" plate carriers such as the LBT6094 Slick. It is not uncommon to see an operator wear a chest rig over these. But on your normal plate carrier with MOLLE/PALS webbing it is better to just use the attachment system provided.

10. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    As it turns out, you're kind of right, but for the wrong reasons. It's very common practice in the real world to wear a chest rig over armor, however that armor is always going to be slick. Examples:

LBT 1961 over a 6094 slick:
    [​IMG]

MBSS over a PACA:
    [​IMG]

RRV over PACA on the left, and the guy left center is going to put something over his PACA:
    [​IMG]

The idea here is simple. In the real world, the last thing you want to do is get shot. That sucks, or so I hear. So no matter what you do, you want some sort of armor on. However, you might prefer a rig (or a mission might require a rig) that isn't a full plate carrier (or in the case of an MBSS, doesn't have side panels). Often times, it's because you're only wearing soft armor, as is the case if they're sporting a PACA or similar low vis carrier. In some cases, it might be the benefit of ditching some of the weight in your second line without ditching the protection of your armor. Whatever the case may be, there are times when it's advantageous to wear a chest rig or partial PC over slick armor.

However, I don't know if I've ever seen somebody wearing a chest rig over armor that had MOLLE webbing. Why would you? If the armor you're wearing can carry your load, it's lighter and lower profile to attach your pouches to that carrier than it is to add more straps and more weight in the form of additional load bearing equipment. So your friend is right here. You wouldn't wear one load bearing vest or rig over another. But you would wear a load bearing vest over slick armor.

11. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    In the black hawk down incident deltas wore LBV's and .223 chest rigs over PT armor. Of course that is outdated nowadays

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Did they wear the LBV 88? As I understood it, they wore the chest rig and assault vests.

Not that you can really pick it out anyway, but at least for a historical look this is pretty awesome. Delta and Seal Team 6 in Somalia:

[​IMG]

[email protected] one guy who didn't get PERSEC'd.

13. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Just to add onto Knief's reference photos here's an MBSS over a PACA. The operator on the left.

And Knief, I do believe that they wore assault vests and chest rigs... Lol at that poor, poor, non-persec'd guy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  14. Switchblaydes

Switchblaydes New Member

Sammamish
    Any advice on an affordable buy for a slick armor plate?

15. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    I'm pretty sure most deltas had the armor with the chest rig. With the exception of a few like shugart, who I believe had ALICE suspenders under his armor, and then a LBV 88 on top of it. But don't quote me on that. Weren't there only like 2 seals on the entire mission?

Lol theres just a head poking out of all these black squares

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
  17. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Those would be crappy knock offs of the much older PT body armor. If you were going for a more modern look, that wouldn't fit the bill at all.

18. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    But it would work for a Somalia loadout.

19. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    I just purchased a Lancer tactical slick rig specifically to wear under my Conderp vest. It comes with rigid foam plates.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=11677

I am a really skinny guy so the slick rig helps keep my vest snug and secure against my frame and provides padding so the vest doesnt dig into my shoulders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.