Featured What “upgrade spring”

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Thel ‘Vadam, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Thel ‘Vadam

Thel ‘Vadam New Member

So, i am going to get the CM048 becauss of the amazing reviews and stock performance but, it shoots a little hot for my local airsoft field and I don’t know what spring to get to lower it. The fps range (like the fps on the M115 is 350-415 fps) on the springs is ridiculous, 50-60 fps difference from low to high and I don’t know what to get to make my gun shoot at 400 fps with .20g BBs. Could you guys help?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Trust "nothing" in Airsoft...everything is a guide line and not a fact.

Data and specs are seldom fact checked for the low end/starter units and it often changes from batch to batch.

Before you buy a spring...chrono your AEG first.

You will see me write this often....American Consumerism, does not apply in Airsoft. There is no truth in advertising, distributors are ignorant (i know I worked for one) and they pass on incorrect information. Items are not qc'd and are often hand fitted. You get what you pay for...

3. Thel ‘Vadam

Thel ‘Vadam New Member

I know how the gun shoots because if MANY reviews and videos. And I wouldn’t be able tk chrono my gun because I don’t have it nor do i have the chronograph

4. Thel ‘Vadam

Thel ‘Vadam New Member

Also, for a stock gun, what spring would most likely shoot 400 fps, i may or may not get another gun and if I don’t i will upgrade the one i have but can’t go over 400 fps and I don’t plan on maximizing my fps and get better cylinders and such. I am kinda rambling here but it would be nice to know.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    M120 is what will take you near your limit.

However, when you get the gun...take it someplace and have the speed checked.

Reviews are pretty "worthless" in Airsoft..unless the reviewer is detailed and knowledge versus some "kid" reciting what he read about his AEG.

But, I have a case in point. Back when I worked for the evil empire (CYB) of Airsoft. We had a batch of "Colt" M4A1's that came in with undersized hop-up packings that wouldn't allow the bb to feed. When it did feed it shot 414fps...on average.

Sadly, about 90 units got out in the wild and "reviews" were done on it. It cited bad feeding issues and then high FPS. However, we rectified the issue with the remainder of the 110 units we sent out from the first batch of 200 by swapping the packings and clipping the springs for a "downgrade".

However, the reviews stuck and people took it as the gospel...not realizing we "fixed" the bad batch and all subsequent batches had no issues for FPS or feeding.

So, that is why I am telling you to test before you buy unnecessary parts.

This also works in reverse where an AEG of known quality can take a turn for the worse...

And to muddy up the waters even more...if you buy a cheap M120...it may "not" be a true M120. Or if you buy a "soft" spring, it won't be a M120 until it settles...getting it to settle will take time...like left 2 weeks in a closet after being fired in FA length of time.

With that, this is my suggestion to help you. You can do what you need to do...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Thel ‘Vadam likes this.
  6. Thel ‘Vadam

Thel ‘Vadam New Member

Thanks for the advice.