What Are DEANS Connectors?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by CQB, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CQB

CQB New Member

What Are DEANS Connectors? I need to know.

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor

3. CQB

CQB New Member

Do I need to buy any thing more to use a 9.6v battery with it or no?

4. VTMZ

VTMZ Active Member

Paducah
    A tamiya to deans connecter.

Female tamiya to male deans IIRC

5. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat Active Member

These are deans connectors, aka T connectors
    image-1773683244.jpg

6. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    dont use adapters. what you do it pull the current connector off and solder on the deans connectors and use shrink wrap tape to seal the connection.
    adapters cause resistance there by making the deans connectors pointless

7. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    If you are switching to deans you must wire these 3 items to deans

- Charger
    - Battery
    - Gun

If you don't already make sure to buy a smart charger. If you don't know what a smart charger is google it...

8. Knief

Ann Arbor
    No, you don't want to buy a tamiya to deans connector. That completely negates the point of using a deans connector, and is, in fact, worse than just having a tamiya connector.

Here's the deal. You're running an electrical current from your battery to your motor using wires. In those wires are connectors. There's a connector at your battery. There's a connector on your motor. There's a trigger switch in the gun that acts as a connector. There's probably one more connector in there somewhere, depending on your gun. Every connector creates resistance. Resistance is bad, but connectors are necessary. Some types of connectors create less resistance than other types of connectors. Deans connectors, for instance, create less resistance than tamiya connectors. If you can replace a tamiya connector with a deans connector, you've just decreased the amount of resistance in your circuit. That's a good thing.

However, if you leave the tamiya plug on your battery or gun and use an adaptor to connect from one to the other, you're A) leaving the first tamiya connector and B) adding an additional connector. That creates more resistance because you're leaving all of the original connectors and then adding one more. And more connectors means more resistance.

What you need to do is remove the tamiya connector from both your battery and gun and solder on a deans connector to each (a male deans connector to the gun and a female deans connector to the battery). You don't need any more parts than just the deans connector, but you do need a soldering iron and some solder. It's not hard to do, but deans connectors are a little trickier because you're soldering right next to plastic. If you've never soldered anything before, maybe ask your parents or friends and see if anybody can help you out.

9. VTMZ

VTMZ Active Member

Paducah
    Oh yeah, forgot about soldering

10. CQB

CQB New Member

My gun comes with DEANS. I want to make the battery work with the DEANS.

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Then you just need to put a female deans connector on your battery. You need to cut off the current connector end and solder the deans connector on.

12. CQB

CQB New Member

I don't have a soldering tool. Where do I buy this.

13. CQB

CQB New Member

Last thing. If I choose not to solder and get a connector how much will my RPS decrease? 1-3 or more?

14. Knief

Ann Arbor
  15. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    I used a $5 one before from harbor freight. as long as you know how to solder which iron you buy doesnt really matter.
    The correct way to solder is hold the connector with pliers or gloves because it will get hot if your not used to it.
    place the wire on the pin and heat the wire with the iron.
    touch the solder to the wire and the heat will draw it in and spread.
    make sure you have a good solid connection to the pin
    make sure you put shrink tube on the wire before you solder it though or you cant get it on