What are the best upgrades for aug A3?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by T0k3N, Sep 24, 2012.

1. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

I've recently acquired a jg aug a3. The only thing I dislike about it is how slow it shoots. I shoot .25's and without a chrono I'm guessing it shoots somewhere between 700-800 fps. I'd like a solid 1,000. But I'm not sure how to do this besides a LiPo. I don't want to damage my gun and have to replace parts all the time. If a LiPo is really the best way then how do I go about making my gun able to withstand that stress? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Do you mean RPM? Lol. If you are then a simple motor upgrade should help. An SHS high speed is good, or a Lonex red is also good. What battery do you use currently?

You also have the option of short stroking, but I'm not sure if you want to do that much work for a smaller gain then a new motor.

3. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Lol I DO mean RPM! Why did I type fps?? And right on I'll look in to the motor. Do you have a link by chance? Money isn't really a concern of mine. I'd like not to spend every paycheck I get on a my AEG though. Ha! And currently I'm using the factory 8.4 1100MaH but I did a little research and found out that an aftermarket, higher quality 8.4 1600MaH is better and would help me to get my increased fire rate. Some people say it doubled their cyclic rate and others said it was a slight gain. I also read that a good shim job and ball bearings get your increases but the gun already came with roller bushings. So I'm going to do a shim job definitely as it also increases the longevity of your gun.

4. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    Maybe do more research. You don't need a link from us, the Lonex red isn't too hard to find...

5. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

It's hard to do very much research when you're A: a noob. And B: not entirely sure what's what and where to look. But I agree. Googling the term "lonex red" shouldn't be too hard. Lol

6. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Also, what is short stroking?

7. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    Well I was in your position not too long ago and I understand. But honestly, the build you want will not have much stress. I think you could get away with a high discharge lipo, thicker wiring, and a mosfet.

8. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Well the AUG A3 already has a MOSFET if you buy the 0450A model which is what I have. And I'd prefer not to have to mess with the wiring at all. Lol I really hate soldering. And everybody's freaking out about LiPo being bad for your gun if its not built to handle that. But if they're so bad then why are they sold so much? I understand that a lot of the use is at the owners discretion but I wanted to avoid a LiPo if I could cause I don't want to find out the hard way lol

9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you reshim the gears, re-grease and correct AOE (just search all the expressions on youtube to find tutorial videos), then it should handle an 11.1v li-po just fine if it has a good mosfet in it. If you go and look at Hobbyking, then they sell a Turnigy 11.1v 40c 1400mAh li-po that fits nicely in the stock of an AUG. You don't have to replace the gears, JG gears are very strong, and if JG treated it to a mosfet, then it most likely has steel bushings. I recommend gluing the bushings in place in the GB for maximum reliability, many people use epoxy glue for this, I like permanent thread lock.

People that "fear" li-po batteries do so because they don't understand them well enough. You don't need a $200 upgrade to run an 11.1v li-po, in most cases you can get away with a gearbox overhaul and installing a mosfet. Since your gun already has a mosfet it should be a piece of cake to make it ready to run an 11.1v li-po. With the 11.1v li-po i mentioned you'll probably get close to 1500rpm with the stock motor. I only use li-po's myself, because ni-mh's have pathetic performance to be brutally honest.

10. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

That's great info to have!! I really appreciate it! What do you think about a 9.6v 1400 MaH LiPo and a better motor? And the AUG A3 has the bearing bushings in it already. It's really a sweet set up from what I can tell! :D I wouldn't want to run much higher than 1500 RPM cause I've heard of a thing called pre engagement and I want to stay as far away from that as possible, which is why I ask about a 9.6 1400 with a better motor. 1500 RPM sounds pretty nice! That's........... 25 balls a second? Lol that'd be a nice solid stream of fire! :) I want to upgrade the motor anyway because the manual says you need to let the gun rest for 5 minutes after durations of full auto. I don't like that. I want to be able to let loose on my gun whenever I want and not have to worry about it burning up.

11. Lefse

If you want a new motor, then you can't go wrong with a Lonex motor. I love the A2 myself, it's a bit slower than the A1, but it has amazing efficiency and tons of torque. I ran mine non-stop for about a half minute in my AK with 18:1 ratio gears and an M120 spring with the battery mentioned in my previous post, and it barely heated up at all. If your gun has an M110 or M120 spring stock then you don't have to worry about pre-engagement until you pass at least 30rps, that's 1800RPM.

9.6v li-po? Do you mean 9.6v ni-mh? I hate ni-mh batteries, get a li-po or get lost I say. A lonex A2 will do right under 30rps with an 11.1v li-po, 18:1 gears and an M120 spring, and A1 will do a little over 30 in the same setup. With a 7.4v li-po the A2 will do a little under 20 and the A1 will do a little over 20.

12. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Yea see I've been doing more research and have decided I'm going to go with an 11.1v LiPo and probably the A2 motor you're advising. I'm a full auto freak and I'd like for my gun to be able to handle it without heating up. I did mean a 9.6v LiPo. Lol also, do you think I should upgrade my piston? Before I install a better battery I'm going to definitely shim and adjust AOE. Also, I'm nearly positive this gun comes factory with an M130. I read a review where a guy tested several batteries in the factory gun using .25s and he achieved much more desirable rates of fire simply by using better batteries. Using an 11.1v 20-25c 2150 MaH LiPo he got 19RPS. So that battery and a Lonex A2 motor would be great yea?

13. Lefse

Yeah, should do 25 rps or maybe a little more with an M130 with standard gears and an 11.1v li-po. That motor and battery combo will give a nice rof and instant trigger response. Your stock piston will probably hold up for a while if you correct AOE, but if you wanna be on the safe side, replace it with an SHS 15 teeth or a Lonex enhanced piston, both pistons will handle this like a breeze.

14. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

I LOVE getting this knowledge!!! :D any other ideas? I'm really wanting to avoid my gun breaking on me in the field. I can't imagine ANYTHING factory will last forever, but the things that will break the soonest I'd like to get out of the way. I'm getting a rather large paycheck this week and will have money to spend so I'd like to get it all taken care of ASAP.

15. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Also, how can I tell if my motor is short, medium, or long?

16. Lefse

Just compare your motor to the various motor lengths in the webshop and you'll find out. Don't wanna spoon feed you too much hehe.

17. Rifled-n-Ready

Rifled-n-Ready New Member

Duluth
    Look it up lol. The motor in the AUG is a short type

18. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Lol agreed. Finding knowledge yourself is best. I've been reading about this gun for a month and hadn't come across that info. Lol I obviously don't have any idea where I'm supposed to look. I'm SOOO excited to do this stuff!! :D I've decided on all the internal upgrades: Lonex A2 motor, shs blue carbon steel teeth piston (I read up on this thing and its seemingly INVINCIBLE!!), I haven't decided what type but an 11.1v 1400-2000 MaH LiPo battery, then the shims and some gear grease. Also I'm going to put an H-shape hop up bucking in there and potentially a 509mm 6.03mm inner barrel. Any other advice? I'm buying a chrono in the lot of things I get as well. I use P.S.B.P. .25's so ill be sure to post my stats after all this is done! :) unfortunately I have to order these things so ill be waiting a while to post stats. Hopefully next Friday! :) I REALLY appreciate y'all's help!!

19. Lefse

20. T0k3N

T0k3N New Member

Lol I thought I was looking at the wrong one! Why is it so cheap??