What Back Panel for My AVS???

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by jsparks21, Sep 5, 2015.

1. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to build a back panel for my Crye AVS. I'm thinking of the Crye Pack Zip on Panel, but I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts of what I should do? I'm really trying to stay under $100 for the panel itself.

2. Southpaw19

Southpaw19 Active Member

Well it all depends on what you want to carry on your back as to what your back panel set up will look like..

You could go with the Pack Panel if you want to carry lots of **** in a single pack.

You could go with the Pouch Panel (a little over budget ) if you want to carry a couple grenades, some GP stuff, and a hydro.

Or you could go with the MOLLE Panel and build your own back panel out of any MOLLE pouch you wish to fulfill your needs and give you exactly what you want. (You can do this without the MOLLE Panel as well however this gives you the option to quickly zip off the panel and have a slick back if you wanted to run a pack or switch panels).

3. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

I want it to be able to handle a hydro, as well as some other stuff. Maybe some extra mags or some other crap, I don't know. Maybe teammate stuff? I'm mostly concerned about how it looks on there. Also, I like that if I get a Crye one I can use the zipper option. I'm open to other brands of panels as well. I just want some ideas of what other people think/use on their kit.

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    If you don't have anything to carry on your back, why waste money and weight on a back panel? Get an ILPS and let your teammates carry their own gear.

5. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

I did say that I wanted a pack panel that accepts a hydro. I don't know how that's "Not having anything to carry on my back". I like the look of a back panel over a slick plate bag, which I also said. Also, if you've ever played airsoft with an actual team, you would know that having other teammates carry an extra mag or two is very beneficial. Especially in bigger games. I'm simply asking for help on choosing a back panel, not for reasons not to have one.

6. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    Don't get salty with admins.

Anyway...

My team runs AVSs and JPCs. If GMR is famous for their JPCs with elastic cummerbunds and mini-MAPs, then my team will probably become famous for AVS back panels.

Most of my team are fans of the pillow pack. It carries a bladder in the bladder section, and then additional small items can be kept in the pillow area. It can also house smaller HPA tanks but certainly not the larger 90/4500s.

Personally, I'm a fan of the MOLLE back panel. I can fit a low profile bladder inside the MOLLE panel while retaining the appearance of not having a back panel. I can then mount whatever pouches I want on the MOLLE panel or wear a pack (Yote, 3DAP, etc.) on top of it comfortably.

Nobody on my team likes the pouch back panel. A couple people had them, but they found them to be rather limited in their flexibility. Even the grenadiers on our team weren't terribly impressed with them and preferred to run a MOLLE back panel with separate pouches that replicated the pouch back panel.

You can see the back panels in this album: http://imgur.com/a/vWNz6

[​IMG]

I'm the guy on the far left with the Oakley gloves strapped on his upper arm and the CB first line. I have an ILPS 2/3L Source bladder inside the MOLLE back panel. This should help you visualize how useful and low profile the back panels can be if set up properly.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Right, hydration is the only specific thing you actually want on your back, which is why I suggested an ILPS bladder. I didn't think I had to waste the time to spell out that we're both aware that you want to carry hydration on your back when you said it and I offered a hydration solution. It was obvious, ya feel me?

I've played on a number of teams over my 14 year airsoft career and never once found it beneficial to carry my teammate's gear or to have them carry mine. I find, in fact, that it's often inconvenient. If the guy carrying a spare for my gun goes left and I go right, or one of us has to go back to respawn and can't get back to the other, then he's carrying gear for me that I can't access and I'm carrying gear for him that he can't access. It makes a hell of a lot more sense for me to keep all of my gear on me and for him to keep all of his gear on him because I'm always with me and he's always with him. So yeah, I saw that you said it and I ignored it because it was stupid.

I understand that you're asking for suggestions on a back panel, and I'm suggesting that maybe you don't actually need one since you can't name anything worth carrying in it (let's spell this out now for you: except for hydration, which you can carry in the platebag as I've previously suggested, or in a lower profile, lighter weight, and cheaper hydration carrier).

Being a jerk to the people trying to help you isn't going to get you very far around here.

8. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

I may sound like a noob, but I didn't actually know what an ILPS was when you originally said that, so I googled "ILPS" and "International League of People's Struggle" came up. I totally mistook what you meant, thinking you were making fun. Sorry about that. Guess I should have looked into it first. That's why I was kinda salty...

So you mean just stick the source bladder between a slick molle panel and the plate bag? I guess that would work, and be low profile but still offer space for a back panel later. Makes sense. Thanks for your help!

9. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

Cool, thanks for your suggestions. The pack panel is probably what I'll get. If you guys have had good experiences with them, then I'll probably try it out. It's not too expensive either, so there's not too much loss if I don't like it. I agree that the pouch panel is probably not very useful. I think most people buy them because it's Crye and it's the most expensive panel.

Btw, those pics are sick! Do you run any of the PIG pads at all? Shoulder or pontoons? Also thinking of picking them up. In the middle of this PC build, so I'm working on the whole thing.

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The ILPS goes in your platebag. You typically put it in outside of the plate so your body heat doesn't warm the water. Though on super hot days, I'll load it up with ice, ditch the rear plate all together, and let the ice cold bladder cool me down all morning). It'll hold about two liters of water when you use it with a plate, and three of you leave the plate at home.

It's as low profile of a solution to hydration as there is. You can add a back panel, or just add pouches as needed on the rear platebag. Since the bladder sits in the bag, you don't need to worry about incorporating a hydration carrier (or a back panel that has one).

11. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    I actually place the bladder inside the back panel since my plates take up most of the room inside my carrier.

All of the Crye back panels have an internal pocket, aside from the external pockets shown, for an IPLS 2/3L Source bladder. In fact, I believe Source designed that bladder with the Crye panels in mind.

12. ll_Hammer_ll

ll_Hammer_ll Member Supporting Member

Boston
    I used a Mayflower ABP which has a place for a hydro and 2 medium sized pouches on the back, i loved it , it held just enough of what i needed. the only problem I had with is was i couldnt run my HPA setup with it so i just had to run my AEG when using it. it is just a little over your budget though.

13. jsparks21

jsparks21 New Member

Yeah, the Mayflower one is a little out of my budget, unfortunately. I think I've pretty much decided on the Crye pillow pack. Then a 3L bladder. That should do what I'm looking for just fine. I thought about the TYR panels for a while but a little out of budget and I wouldn't be able to use their zippers