what color vest is best blending in black or brown?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by newbieairsoft123, Sep 22, 2012.

1. newbieairsoft123

newbieairsoft123 New Member

I want an all pourpose vest that can blend in with its surroundings whether it be at night, forest, dessert, snow basicly anywhere I'm trying to keep the price low under 100$ for a vest the camo ones I see are pretty expensive so the only options I generally see are black and tan vests Wich color is better?

2. newbieairsoft123

In my post I ment to say tan not brown sorry. So black vs tan Wich is better?

3. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    You mean Khaki, right? Because black works in none of those environments you listed.

4. newbieairsoft123

Yes I ment the khaki, tan, coyote brown, type colors so these would be better than black?

5. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    When you wear black the eye will instantaneously fill in the hard line shape of the silhouette.
    When you wear earth tone color .ie Khaki, Coyote Brown or Olive Drab in the appropriate environment, your making the brain work harder to fill in the same silhouette.

6. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Black will NEVER work anywhere. SWAT, Urban, and Black kits don't work. They are ineffective everywhere. Anything tan(ish) will work. However, unless someone has invented invisibility cloaks, whatever environments you listed, nothing will work well in all of them.

You need to work on your grammar and punctuation. Its a rule to use correct English, and I suggest you follow it.

7. Navyhodge

Navyhodge New Member

Norfolk
    Olive drab is another suggestion. Khaki and Coyote Tan work well also, but I think OD blends in with EVERY environment

8. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    There is far more brown and tan colours in the natural environment than deep greens like olive drab. If you walk into a forest, you are going to see a lot of tree trunks, branches, and the like all over that introduce a more than healthy dose of browns into the environment. This makes khaki and coyote brown a much more versatile colour than olive drab because while browns appear quite a lot in practically every natural environment, greens do not appear in any substantial amount in many a natural environment.

I don't want to go about disagreeing or arguing with Servicemen, but I do feel the need to pop in on this one.

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    if you have a black riffle, it will contrast with any camo or color you are wearing. i usually spot the black rifle or black face mask before i spot their camo. if you really want to blend in, purchase a collection of hunter's seasonal camo from walmart and also buy extra so you can wrap your rifle with it. hunter's camo works really well and you can get them cheaply for specific seasons.

10. Navyhodge

Navyhodge New Member

Norfolk
    I think you're absolutely right; brown and tan do blend in more now that you say it like that. It might just be my eyes, who knows. I used to pull Marpat and coyote tan, which worked fantastic, but for some reason I just didn't like it. So now I rock Olive drab and A-tacs FG and its outstanding. Just my personal opinion I guess.

You have the right to disagree with me on whatever you feel is justified.

11. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Lies. All lies. It is in your best interest not to use hunter's camo in airsoft.

12. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    these guys must be lying...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i managed to crawl up to enemy camps for base blows using hunter's camo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Those guys are stagnant and using the pattern in the exact environment their highly specific pattern was designed for. Why must you make my retype the same rebuttal over and over? You move, it doesn't work. You use it in a slightly different environment, it doesn't work. You want to look like something other than a tree, it doesn't work. Hunter camo has a very specific purpose and it does that very well. That purpose is not combat or fake combat. It does combat and fake combat very poorly. That's the reason no major modern military uses it. Hell, I don't think any minor militaries use it.

14. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    that's the whole point of hunter's camo. go to walmart or your favorite outdoor outfitter and get a collection that fits your environment. i live in Georgia so i use a Georgia pattern which works almost with each season. others can have a set for each season for their environment. works great. and yes, when we shoot, we are stagnant. why do you keep relating airsoft to milsim? it is not milsim. it can be milsim if you want. i'm more practical than trying to look military. there are tactics in airsoft that are absurd in military.

when we play airsoft outdoors, we aren't being deployed to foreign lands. we play at home fields and know our environment. hunter's camo can easily be selected and used effectively. when i play outdoors, i hunt people.

i also disagree. when you move slowly it still works. it doesn't matter what you wear, if you move too quickly, the eye will pick it up. that's how our eyes work. it uses movement and contrast. when i'm going after a target, i crawl. i don't run out in the open like newbs.

the reason military doesn't use it is because it's civilian wear. it's specific for the environment and the military doesn't have the luxury or capacity to have a wardrobe for varying environments. but we do...

military decisions on uniforms is subjective. if it doesn't look military, it will be met with discrimination. there are politics to deal with and old school minds that are not open to obvious solutions.

15. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Crap, not this argument again. Didn't you guys have this disscusion a few months back?

16. Knief

Ann Arbor
    It's wonderful that you can afford a set of camo for every field you play on for every environment. Not everybody can, particularly those who are new to the game and asking for advice on what camo to use. Here's a question. What happens when the field you play on has two different types of terrain? Do you pack an extra set and change when you leave the dark brown woods and move into a beige field of tall grass?

Some folks learn to shoot while moving, but sure, I'll grant you this. And what percentage of a game would you say you're pulling the trigger? I mean really, let's say you fire 2000 rounds in a 6 game-hour day (about triple what I fire most days, but you like your hicaps), and let's say your gun's ROF is 20 rounds per second (low for your builds). It takes you a grand total of 100 seconds to fire all of those rounds. That's 100 seconds out of the 21600 seconds you're playing the game. A whopping .46% of the time. My guess is, during the other 99.54% of the game, you do some moving.

I'm not relating it to milsim. I'm relating a function of military style gear to a game that uses military style gear. This has nothing to do with your style of game play (snipers withstanding, but then again, snipers are also withstanding from this train of thought in the military aren't they?). If you're in the woods and you're doing some moving, millions of dollars and a couple decades worth of research has proven that negative camo works better at concealing you. This isn't even debatable. It's been proven both in controlled environments and on the battle field.

It's not about looking military. This is entirely a matter of practicality. Military style camo is more practical for concealing yourself while moving about in the woods.

This is my favorite. It's as if military analysts aren't capable of researching the terrain we're sending out troops to. "Hey guys, we're invading Afghanistan. Anybody know what it looks like over there so we can camouflage ourselves?" "Nope." "Drats."

Can be selected, sure. Can be used effectively? Yeah, why not. Can be used as effectively as a military style camo? Not if you plan on taking more than a step while the baddies can see you.

It doesn't work if you move slowly unless by slowly you mean imperceptibly slowly. That's fine, then we're into sniper territory again. Assuming you're not a sniper, no, it doesn't work as well while you're walking through the woods.

Yes, because running is newbs. That's it everybody, if you've ever run in an airsoft game, you're a newb.

17. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Uh oh... This discussion again.

In my opinion : Wear whatever works for you.

As far as the OPs question. Tan / coyote brown will always be better than black. You can also use CB or khaki gear with multiple loadouts as it looks good with most camos.

18. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    walmart camo is cheap. a complete hunter's camo is cheaper than my son's MC shirt or pants. i only use one set because it works for all season. i wish we had snow so i could use an woodland snow set (still cheaper than MC or Atac gear which my sons use). when the field has a different terrain, then i must not be in Georgia anymore... LoL. the only different terrain where i play is going from outdoors to indoors. we don't play in michigan where there's an industrial sight. our outdoors is like most outdoors in the south, wooded. large areas of tall grass? not in our field. like any situation, avoid areas where there is no concealment. this includes areas that aren't suited for what camo you are wearing. i've done so at out of state Ops. i just worked my way around areas of no grassland (when flanking the enemy).

when night falls, we change into our anti-NV camo...

those folks that are shooting while moving are also the ones complaining that their targets aren't calling their hits. i had a guy moving while shooting at me and missed each shot. while i was laying on the ground and took him out with a few shots. he kept saying that he shot me first. when i trained a few teams. one of their practice was shooting while moving. i stood still and counted how many times i was hit so they have a good idea on their own skills.

try breathing heavily while trying to hit a 300 feet target. not going to happen.

what's the percentage of time you are moving vs when you are not moving? during the beginning of the game, we move fast until we get into the engagement zone. then we move very slowly or crawl. that's when hunter's camo comes in, during engagement where it counts.

like i said, i'm a hunter, not one that takes orders from a guy who doesn't know how to play chess. we play against locals and we know how each other plays. military style gear has nothing to do with airsoft because there is no formal command structure or decades of airsofting relying on military tactics. woodland play is more closely related to hunting. on the other hand, cqb has more military aspects than hunting.

i can honestly say that a hunter will be more effective in the local woodland than a common infantry man dressed in military gear. although the military spends millions of our tax dollars on private research firms (bid process), hunters have been using camo well before there were even governments.

hunter's camo is more practical. i've seen it first hand during games.

you don't need a military analyst to know your own backyard...

as i mentioned before, i've seen it first hand and i tend to use what gives me the advantage during games.

i'm a multi-role player. if i get a radio call for support, then so be it. my main task is taking out snipers. even my secondary has a 200ft range but with higher rps and 5k rnds at hand. i've done my share of stopping an enemy advance by myself. even with a ref standing next to me, the advancing team couldn't spot me. i switched to semi-auto when a few were within 100 feet.

you took it out of context. of course i run, but not out in the open during engagement.

19. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    In a friendly game, I don't see anything wrong with realtree. But in a milsim it just has no place.

20. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I've never seen somebody try to hard to ignore reality. I'm beyond done with you, Alex.

weasel,

There's nothing wrong with it if some dude shows up wearing it. He's got what he's got. The discussion here is whether or not it's as effective as military style camo in airsoft. Unless you're a sniper (or I suppose a camper), it's just not.