What does this do?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Frankiiie, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Frankiiie

Frankiiie New Member

dallas
    I'm a beginner airsofter and never really knew anything about this button I circled it in the picture below. can you tell me what it does really? and when I should push it? lol etc. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. evan2634

evan2634 New Member

It's called the forward assist. As far as I know, it does nothing on an airsoft gun.

3. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    It releases the tension of the spring

4. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Only on an ICS M4. (EDIT: and the new WE M4 AEG)

On all other M4's, it serves no purpose other than maintaining the external appearance of an M4.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    But for ASGI customs it releases the spring tension

6. Frankiiie

Frankiiie New Member

dallas

when should I press it? when Im done shooting it?

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    At the end of the day before you store the gun. As said, on some guns it's used to decompress your spring. You don't want to store your gun with the spring compressed as that will weaken the spring and thus reduce your gun's muzzle energy. On guns that don't have that function, you just cycle it a couple times on semi-auto and the spring will rest in a decompressed state.

8. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Don't mess with it unless it does work as a forward assist. The one on my little brothers M4 didn't, and he messed with his. Anyways, a piece of it cracked off and got jammed in the gears and I hade to take it apart and fix it. So as a warning don't play with it unless your sure that to works.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    That wasn't the forward assist. If the forward assist doesn't function to decompress your spring, it's pinned into a self contained hole in the receiver and it cannot get into your gearbox. It's especially can't get into your gears.

Mikeinator, that was something else that got into your box, not a piece of the forward assist.

10. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Not on an A&K M4. The gearbox had openings next to the assist, and the assist was not glued in place, and the abs plastic sides were not self contained. This part of the gun was asking to break and cause the gun to need repair. I'll se if I can get photos...

11. EAGLE_17

EAGLE_17 New Member

Minneapolis
    Yes when your done shooting I know those GI custom's they have forward assist.

12. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
  13. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    On WE GBB's the FAB actually does what its intended to do.