What is a good fore grip?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by THE_ELIMANATOR, Oct 5, 2012.

1. THE_ELIMANATOR

THE_ELIMANATOR New Member

Hebron
    I'm looking for a good fore grip for my m4 would like it to be rather grippy and possibly under 30.00 dollars please help. Even if it cost over $30 please still tell me about it.

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Any particular style you're looking for, or does it matter?

3. vdaAirsoft

vdaAirsoft New Member

Try going with the Magpul AFG or AFG2. They're designed to contour to the natural movement of your wrist and arm making them extremely comfortable. Check out evike.com for their fore grip selection.

4. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    I love my AFG1, the AFG2 is slightly smaller and doesnt really fit my hand as well. MAKO magwell grip is a good choice for alot of people as they tend to hold their magwell for some reason

5. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Go with the AFG. It may cost a little more than other grips but the benefits are worth it. IMO, it is far more comfortable, facilitates a more stable shooting position, avoids the tendency to "broom handle" the grip and makes it easier to maneuver your gun while prone. I switched to the AFG2 about two months ago and am never going back.

6. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Instead of buying a VFG, I suggest a hand stop and holding your rifle properly. Your hand should "wrap" your RIS. Helps keep a stable shooting platform while moving, and manage recoil, although recoil mitigation isn't a factor in airsoft.

I suggest against the Magwell grip. When aiming you won't have as much control over your rifle. However, if you want a VFG, the MagPul AFG1/2, a TD VFG, a MagPul RVG, or stubby vertical grip of some sort are your best bet. When you are holding a vertical grip, you should not "broomhandle" it. Your thumb should be on the RIS, two fingers on the grip and the other two wrapped up around the RIS from the bottom. You'll almost be holding it like the AFG.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    MagPul RVGs are very good and decently priced. Same with MagPul's AFGs.

8. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    a hand stop wont make you hold your rifle correctly. Your actually better off getting an AFG as it causes your hand to contour to where it needs to be correctly. Handstops are only good if you already know how to hold a rifle.
    You will see it that even people with a foregrip hold their rifles at the magwell... I dont understand it but I have seen experienced operators grab their airsoft rifle as the magwell.

9. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Yeah, I've seen it too. I shoot guns often(real and airsoft alike), and from my personal experience, everyone who shoots with the hand on the magwell has larger grouping than when they shoot holding it properly. They also don't have as quick of follow up shots because it's harder to manage the recoil.

Not once did I say a stand stop would HELP you hold the rifle correctly. I told him to use a hand stop AND hold the rifle properly. <that came out a little harsh. Didn't mean it to be, but it was the simplest way to say it XD.

10. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    no worries i read that as you were thinking that a handstop would help them hold it properly. misunderstanding... but yea, I shoot real and airsoft as well... I dont get it, unless you have no way to hold anywhere but the magwell, you should always hold the forward area of the rifle for better stability, accuracy and faster target acquisitions and follow ups

11. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I don't get it either, why not hold it right and get more out of your shots?

On a side note, I really like my new AFG2, but not quite as much my RVG. I guess it's all personal preference.

12. THE_ELIMANATOR

THE_ELIMANATOR New Member

Hebron
    Thank you all after some hard descions I puchased the AFG2.

13. vdaAirsoft

vdaAirsoft New Member

Wise choice my friend.

14. kemboy100

kemboy100 New Member

Hudson
    I love grip pods just saying they combine two awesome things into one

15. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    They're way to bulky to be practical. They're darn there 8 inches long. KISS principle dude.

16. kemboy100

kemboy100 New Member

Hudson
    To each his own. It's not like an extra couple of inches will hinder me

17. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    When one item is tasked to take on two roles, it generally underperforms in both.

Being a failry large guy with long arms (76" finger tip to finger tip), I found the AFG to be uncomfortable on the M4. It was suitable for me on an M16, but felt akward on the shorter guns.

As you have already made the purchase, if you find you have the same issues as I (unlikely, but just in case...), I would recomend the Magpul RFG or one of the ACM stubby grips. Both give a solid, low profile grip surface that fills the hand nicely.