What Is Appropriate and What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by TexasMech, Jan 27, 2018.

1. TexasMech

TexasMech New Member

Fort Riley
    So I used to play airsoft as a Teenager about 5-6 years ago. I fully understand the basic fundamentals, but I've been out of it for a while. I'm Currently Active Duty Army, and was wondering if I would be able to get away with using my RFI (Multicam) trousers and my RFI Combat top? Or is that sort of thing frowned upon? Also, what exactly do I need to begin? I mean the primary point of this thread, is the discussion of whether or not I can just use my AD Army gear when I go airsoft, or should I just buy some old Surplus BDU stuff somewhere? But I might as well ask whats a good website to order product off, the only one I've ever used is Airsoftmegastore.com and I'm not a a huge fan of their site anymore. I know I want a solid face mask, and if I can't get away with my own carrier and uniform for airsoft with custom patches, I really just need some weapons to get back into it. Thank you to anyone who answers the post, I ask that you keep in mind I've spent an hour or so searching this forum, and another 2 on Google trying to find the answer to my primary question, I didn't just ignore everything posted it without reading. Thank you for your help!

2. zgillman

zgillman New Member

Evike.com is a good website to look at for starting up again and you should be able to get away with using your gear

TexasMech likes this.

3. TexasMech

TexasMech New Member

Fort Riley
    I'd like to try and not spend more than $100-$150 per item, I am going to be getting two primary ND two side arms to start, because my wife wants to start doing it again with me so I have to outfit her as well

4. LightIsRight

LightIsRight Well-Known Member

Cannon Falls
    You don't really need a sidearm. I'd recommend getting a better primary instead.

AK, M4, what do you prefer?

Evike is a good retailer. Airsoft GI is pretty good as well.

I don't know the regs for use but I assume you could use your combat gear. I'd remove any unit patches, rank, other insignia, etc. though.

5. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a nice face mask for you.

6. Vennom

Vennom New Member

Completely irrelevant to the question... But your personal information is on the amazon picture... May want to remove that, just saying.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  7. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    I appreciate that and in his list of things needed he had mentioned a full face mask so I figured id give hime a link to one.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  8. Ten8DoWork

Ten8DoWork Active Member

Birmingham
    Run what you got. I mostly wear blue jeans and my issued plate carrier. Spend the money on a good rifle. All that pimped out gear isn't going to make you better. Having a shitty rifle will definitely affect your ability to work effectively.

HeymrT, Doc_Larsen and Topshotz357 like this.
  9. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    Bro everybody knows if you have a full crye outfit you run faster lol

10. Ten8DoWork

Ten8DoWork Active Member

Birmingham
    LOL, forgot about that. Make sure you get the ones with the knee pads too

BOA_SP3CT3R and Topshotz357 like this.
  11. Medic95

Medic95 Member

Thank you for your service!
    You earned your uniform, I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with you using it. Even if they did, tell ‘em to shove it!
    You wanting to do AEG or Gas?

Topshotz357 likes this.
  12. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Perfectly okay to run your Army issued uniform. My buddy that I play with is former Air Force and he normally wears his AF issued desert digital uniform and Eagle plate carrier. As was mentioned you earned that uniform and those patches. Wear them proudly! Thanks for your service.

As for guns....spend money on a decent primary. Play with that first and then see if you even need a sidearm. Or you could go with a PDW style weapon and have the best of both worlds. Something like the Krytac PDW or the G&G ARP 9 or Classic Army Nemesis X9. As for a mask, look into the One Tigris foldable mesh mask. Inexpensive and definitely more comfortable than a standard rigid mesh mask. You'll be glad you went that route.

Where are you going to be playing?

BOA_SP3CT3R and 16harrij like this.
  13. Brumus

Brumus New Member

Elizabethtown
    having been in a similar boat not very long ago, ive learned what i do and dont need, even if i thought i needed it originally. ive built a complete load out and after a some good games with experienced players, the light began to shine on what was important. buying the best gun and hardware you can afford will make the most difference as you will spend less time with frustrating repairs and work-arounds with inferior guns, batteries, ammo, etc. buying guns online is tricky, even if its from one of the big suppliers _ who, IMO, are not always the best source. several outfits mentioned ive not had good luck with, and then ive found amazing deals at the places some 'experienced' players scoff at (Ebay, Amazon). ive gotten great deals -compared to the Evikes and Airsoft GI's of the world- at Ebay and Amazon... so alot of it is hunting it down, watching videos, following this and other forums, and a realistic budget management plan... or no worry about credit card balance!! weeding out the lemons they send you, fighting for refunds or credit, and finally winding up with a decent working specimen sometimes takes a few tries, and after many purchases ive learned that those 'classic' guns from yesteryear you thought you wanted, like say M16, M14, SVD Dragunov, they arent the best choice on todays field... when other guys are running much shorter, lighter weight, and faster ROF and trigger response AEG's ... often hot rodded to some degree as well. out of the box sweetness is sometimes hard to find. finally ive filled my acquisition list, and as of now, im all set; i can even furnish extra gear if i want to bring along a friend.. my load out list is pretty long tho... and then theres the bags and cases to haul it all concealed and packed away while in the car. ive sent a small fortune so i can look more like an Airsoft participant than a teenage paintballer showing up in jeans, sneakers and tank top! proper camo (yes your Govt-issued BDU's are perfect for the task), sturdy boots, GOOD eye and face protection, a vest or something worn to act as armor and carry any extra mags, grenades etc... knee pads, tactical rifle sling, speedloaders, and all kinds of shizzle.... AND a handgun. i like having a sidearm in a holster, they come in handy. eventually youll likely own more than one primary and one secondary, to satisfy different gameplay roles (sniper, infantry, SRT, etc) ...youll probably have a couple or more pistols, just because some days you feel like a Sig, some days youre feelin like a Glock, and then maybe a sniper gun, a DMR or two (need a spare!), gotta have a CQB full auto something or other, and then theres shotguns, M4's up the ying yang, cool Sig 556's and even bigger heavier LMG's etc. have fun! just dont add it all up, it makes you wonder what you mightve done with all that $cratch if you didnt start Airsoft!!

Noob Tech and fred_ditto like this.