What is the little strap on the bottom of magazines for?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Comrade_Communism, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Comrade_Communism

Comrade_Communism New Member

DFW
    [​IMG]

I keep seeing this, but I don't know what it is for. Not the best example, but the only one I could find that clearly shows it.

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Magpuls. Helps you pull mags out of pouches instead of taking the time to grab the entire magazine.

3. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Magpuls made my magpul. You pull the mag

4. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    While these explanations are great, whether or not they actually help you is debatable. If your pouches are really tight (or really deep) and you have a hard time drawing mags normally, you might see a benefit. However, gripping a mag by a magpul means that you're not indexing it properly, so you either have to readjust your grip or insert the mag into the magwell with a less than deal hold on the mag. Both of those things can slow your reload. It's not a bad idea to give them a shot, but in my experience, practicing proper reload technique and using higher end gear does a lot more to improve reload times than using magpuls.

5. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Meh. That was too long. They are used to pull your magazine out of your pouch quicker.

6. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Leonidas, if you don't like reading posts with substance, at least don't tear them down for members who might want to learn things or care about information.

7. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Wait, did he say he wanted to learn to use em? Either way, I guess you're right.

8. Knief

Ann Arbor
    This is why information transfer on these boards is so bad. No, he didn't explicitly ask how to use them. But he did ask what they are, and implicit in that is the question on how they are used. But we don't have to stop there, we can provide him with all of the relevant information about them. That way, he can learn not just what their name is or what their function is, but why people might use them, why people might not use them, how people use them, and any number of other things. So instead of just answering a question with the absolute minimum amount of information that can be considered a question, it would benefit the entire community if we answered questions thoroughly. Everybody would get smarter, the level of discourse here would shoot up, we'd attract more members who are interested in a high level of discourse while retaining more members who think this place is drowning in stupid. The forum gets better if we go out of our way to make it better. And that means, in cases like this, giving complete and thorough answers. What you did, knocking down somebody trying to give a thorough answer, makes the forum worse. Much worse. You're not just creating noise, you're actively blocking signal.

9. Comrade_Communism

DFW
    Oh.. now I feel like an idiot.

Knief, do companies make magpuls for AK74 mags? I'm hopefully going to get a CYMA cm048 soon. Thought I might try them out or something.

10. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Yeah they do. 7.62 magPuls

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    It doesn't look like Magpul makes them:

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/13

But a lot of people make homemade magpuls using paracord and 550 tape:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?40648-Home-made-magpull-help

It's not terribly difficult. I don't know if the shape of the AK magazine would affect the usefulness of magpuls though. Because of the curve of the mag, pulling straight up from the bottom might not be the best way to pull them out of a pouch. I don't really know, I'm not a fan of AKs myself.

Leonidas,

They make 7.62 NATO mag pulls, for guns that fire the 7.62x51. Those are much longer rounds than the AK's 7.62x39 that the AK uses and as such, AK mags have a much different shape than mags that hold 7.62 NATO rounds. Those 7.62 magpuls would fit on an SR25 or SCAR H mag, but not an AK mag.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  12. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    I'm pretty sure I saw 7.62 magpuls.

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Read my edit above. 7.62 describes the caliber of the bullet, not the length. A mag that holds a 7.62x51 round is going to be different from a mag that holds a 7.62x39 round.

14. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    Oh, my bad again. In my opinion, I wouldn't make my own, as they look odd and like you said, when changing mags, you must switch hand stances again.

15. Comrade_Communism

DFW
    I think you mean 5.45, but thanks. :)

16. sonsofthepatriots1

sonsofthepatriots1 Active Member

Nope knief is right with those bullet classifications.

17. Comrade_Communism

DFW
    Well, I was asking about a AK74 (Which uses 5.45) Since the 5.45 doesn't have a slight triangle shape, the mag doesn't curve as much. Though, i'm not sure that would really make a difference.

18. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You're right, I did read that as AK47 and not 74. Still, they don't make magpuls for them. Their profile is quite a bit different than AR mags. You'll still have to go homemade if you want them. Or there might be some Russian company that makes them that isn't popular over here. This is where we need Shifty.

19. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Somebody tell me how I can't put a 5.56mm magpul on an AK74 mag? Magpuls are flexible, if the overall diameter is close they'll fit on anything. I've got 7.62mm magpuls on M1A and Saiga12 magazines.

[​IMG]

20. Knief

Ann Arbor
    All right, so apparently they're close enough.

Maybe because the M1A fires a 7.62 NATO round, and thus has a mag of similar size and shape to every other rifle that fires a 7.62 NATO round? Mystery solved on that one.