what is the proper term or name for my aeg?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by newbieairsoft123, Sep 21, 2012.

1. newbieairsoft123

newbieairsoft123 New Member

I'm use to calling them AR 15s because in the real world of guns only military has the m4, and the civilian version is an ar15. but what about in airsoft? Should I go around calling my gun an m4 or an AR? I don't wanna sound stupid around other pro airsofters lol :)

2. Scarred

Scarred New Member

Is it fully automatic?

3. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    baaahahahaaha, WRONG.

it's an m4, and should be called such.

4. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the term AR refer to the entire M4/M16 family?

5. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    yes.

AR= ASSUALT RIFLE 15= design number.

6. Scarred

Scarred New Member

Yes, but he owns an M4. It would make more sense to call it an M4 than an AR. Only cops and civilians use AR15s. If you have a semi-auto only M4 with an AR15 specific lower receiver with the proper selector switch markings (If one exists) than he would have an AR15. In short: He has an M4.

7. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    once again, incorrect.

8. Scarred

Scarred New Member

How? Okay. I admit it. The cops near my house use Bushmaster M4A2s. You caught me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    thats cool for you cops...now are you sure they arent using their own PERSONAL RIFLES?

police officers can be issues m4's, but what do i know anymore. the cops near you are using old outdated m16's shrubmaster piece of craps. you must be right.

10. Scarred

Scarred New Member

They buy their sidearms but they are issued their rifles. By Bushmaster M16A2 I mean Bushmaster M4A2. My mistake. It's a type of AR15.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_military_MCWA2F14M4.asp

11. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    OMG, you need to just stop talking, once again, you are WRONG!!! Cops and use their own personal rifles!

12. newbieairsoft123

Hehe makes sense since airsoft is a milsim sport lol and yes its full auto thanks guys :)

13. newbieairsoft123

It depends on the department your working for if they issue you a rifle you get what you get if they allow you to bring your own but it must be chambered in 556/223 and be an ar platform to be compatible with other ar type rifles the m4 has a shorter barrel 14.5 inches and is inteded for military use and ar15 in the civilian world is basicicly the same except the barrel is longer 16" inches it is illegal for a civilian to own a rifle that has a barrel shorter than 16 inches. If you do want to own a short barrel rifle SBR you must pay a 200$ tax stamp and fill out paperwork with the atf and have a background check hope this clears your Guy's. Debate up lol :)

You are correct! ! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  14. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    As matter of fact, it does not clear anything. I can hardly understand what you are saying.

Use proper punctuation. I believe you have already been warned for that.

15. Raptor282

Raptor282 New Member

Manassas
    NONONONONO! Ok I am pretty sure (99.99999999%) that you are wrong here. The ar in ar-15 stands for armalite, the origional manufacturer of Eugene Stoner's design. That was then sold to Colt where it got the designation M16 and M4 for use in the military. So really everyone is saying the same thing without realizing it. The M(#) refers to the military designation of the rifle (the ar-15). Like the m92fs is designated as the m9 (i might have the order wrong there but you get the point). The Pentagon will give a military designation to a gun it issues.

Edit: a link to prove my point ;). http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

16. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    http://world.guns.ru/civil/usa/ar-15-e.html

17. Raptor282

Raptor282 New Member

Manassas
    And also like i said:
    (From the same site/article)
    The ar-15 design was indeed first produced by Armalite and then subsequently sold to Colt.

18. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Actually, nowhere in the article is there a statement saying that. That is nothing more than a deduction.

19. Raptor282

Raptor282 New Member

Manassas
    I thus refer back to my pervious link:
    http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

And you're right I should fix where I quoted your link. I was more referring to the part where Armalite was the original manufacturer and then sold the right to make the gun to Colt.

20. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Honestly what does it matter ? Call the gun whatever you want. Most people will use the term M4 I've rarely herd people say it's an AR-15 unless they are talking about the real steel they own.

On another note there is no such thing as "pro airsofters" Sure there are seasoned players but no such thing as pro airsofters in the airsoft world.