What makes a good outdoor field?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by NorsemanSDD, Sep 28, 2018.

1. NorsemanSDD

NorsemanSDD Well-Known Member

Rice
    Would like to hear imput from airsofters as to what they like and dislike in a outdoor field.

Examples.

Varied terrain? Or flat?

One big MOUT city it the middle? Or smaller structures scattered throughout?

Thick cover? Or more open?

What types of buildings?

Should it have a theme? Beruit? Castle? Space station?

Camping? Cabins? Firepits? Or more of a milsim continuous exercise?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Variety is the spice of life. A field that has more variety is better.

3. Topshotz357

Topshotz357 Well-Known Member

Drexelhill
    Trenches buildings forts towers stuff like that mix it up like guges said

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    And make major changes every year.

A field up here TCA adds something new every year and his crowds range from 80-300 players each weekend.

And he is 1 hour and 10 minutes away from the metropolitan city center.

He even draws people for the monthly big games from 2 states away.

5. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Also make sure the bang rule is optional not forced and not minimum engagement distance for guns shooting 350 or under and only like 5-10ft med for 400fps and 100ft for 500fps or more or only have a med for 500+fps

fred_ditto and NorsemanSDD like this.
  6. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Anything that isnt open field. A lot of fields around here are extremely open. Limited cover and like 150ft between trees if there are any.
    Airsoft is not real life. Our guns cant hit people consistently at 300ft+.
    It's embarrassing when my squad is bantering and yelling to the enemy squad but everyone is safe and out of range. Its like "i can see you and speak to you but i cant hit you so we are cool" :confused:

Cover is essential and so is variety. You need some open areas where ranged fire is necessary and then some cqb areas.
    Also, having multiple height levels really helps change things up. Flat fields are boring fields.

And a good field has multiple flank routes. I hate playing on fields where its basically 2 sides forced to go straight at each other, head on. Angles are your friend.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  7. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Having liberal amounts of cover to move up is essential. As Splode said, airsoft guns have terrible range so just having two teams lobbing BBs at each other at the edges of their max range is super boring and pathetic. Even worse when one team is downwind.

8. LoneWanderer101

LoneWanderer101 Active Member

A variety, good cover, and good refs. Refs really make it if you have a good or bad day of play

9. skipper363

skipper363 Active Member

We counted the raffle tickets, there most recent giant airsoft game my friend at the front had a number 350ish lower than me. I didn’t feel like there was that many people but numbers don’t lie.

A guy came all the way from Pennsylvania to play in that game!

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  10. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    o_O
    I think just having a 1j impact energy limit would be best.

NorsemanSDD and link0 like this.
  11. skipper363

skipper363 Active Member

327fps with .3s I beleive?

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  12. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I don't play at fields with forced bang rules or CQB fields with MED I'm just trying to give a point of view from people like me.

13. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    328 w/ .2g, joule creep is too inconsistent between different guns to chrono FPS and convert to joules.
    Yeah, I don't like bang rules either. I'm just saying an impact energy of 1 joule is safe and won't break skin. I think fields should allow very high joule levels for DMRs/BASRs if they have a good MED.

IMO a good outdoor field would:
    -Not chrono FPS. Joules are what really matter
    -have a moderate RoF limit, 30-35rps would do
    -DMRs are semi only(duh), DMR joule limit should be ~2.3j(500fps w/ .2g)
    -BASRs should be allowed 550+ FPS w/ .2g to make up for their disadvantages
    -LMGs should be allowed ~450fps(~1.85j) and full auto
    -chrono guns with the hopup setting and BB weight that will actually be used. Certain setups, especially VSR/L96 systems, will increase power as you increase hop.
    -1j=no MED
    -lots of variety. Wooded areas, buildings, etc
    -well thought out cover and lots of it
    -make sure teams are fair

It could actually be kind of cool for carbines/rifles to be semi only and allow full auto for SMG/PDW/PCCs and support guns. I mostly use semi auto anyway and use full auto only when I need it.

14. skipper363

skipper363 Active Member

My field chronos with .2s for aegs and snipers and.3s for anything gas.

I hate bang bang, guy runs around corner and tried to bang ban 4 of us. Before he even got his first word out I put two in his chest. And he complained saying he wasn’t killed. My bad for shooting him at 12 fee when med is 15 but

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  15. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    I play at strike force south no MED optional bang rule and fps with .20g is 365max semi only good stuff and I play at softairNJ only bangbang is if I'm alone and you sneak up on me there are meds but it's like 5ft good times

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  16. NorsemanSDD

Rice
    Ive had events on my ranch before. But its never been a dedicated airsoft field. I fear its too steep for the avg airsofter. Although there are flatter benches and small clearings. Right now there is too much cover with some areas a Moose probably couldnt get through.

Im about 30 miles from Canada and 50 miles from Idaho. And 96 miles from the Spokane International Airport.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  17. Topshotz357

Drexelhill
    Beautiful

NorsemanSDD likes this.
  18. NorsemanSDD

Rice
    As far as rules, the Spokane Devil Dogs have only ever had one MED of 75 ft for snipers. We chrono 600 ft/sc with .20’s.

The surrender rule was always an option. The player being surrendered could opt to fight it out.

But Im sure that airsoft insurance will have its own requirements in order to keep a policy. But Ive already been turned down once. Basically paintball insurance.

Topshotz357 likes this.
  19. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
    The field I typically Play at just implemented this rule in the past year, it's actually been pretty well received and I enjoyed gameplay much more. A lot less spray and pray and far more movability for flanks and stuff because you're not just under constant volume of Fire. Also it makes caring around a 20 pound lmg worth it:D

20. Black Eagle

Black Eagle Active Member Supporting Member

Nottingham
    I like a field that has a good mixture of both open and thick cover. Having one or the other could get boring. A mixture of buildings and cover with some open ground I think is great.

The field where I play has a 420 FPS all guns and 520 FPS for snipers with .2g BB's. Snipers have a MED of 100ft. Full auto is allowed everywhere except inside buildings. Bang rule is optional but if the person being banged wants to fight it out, game on.

hawkchief, fred_ditto and Topshotz357 like this.