What Sniper To Get?

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by TheFallenHero, May 16, 2013.

1. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero Active Member

Im not sure about anyone else but im tired of seeing this threads constantly. I mean in the sniper rifle area of airsoft there are not many different makes and models. Considering there are almost only really 3 different sniper rifles i figured we could end all the what rifle to buy thread by pretty much summarizing them here. In any event i only really have experience with Maruzen l96 clones and VSR clones. If anyone has any experience in the CA m24 and the others like it feel free to share it below and i will add it to the OP.

First lets look at the rifles and the clones. When i say clone i mean internals not externals. Meaning they all will take the same upgrades.

VSR Clones.

There are multiple clones of the TM VSR-10. The most popular one being the JG Bar-10 and it is also the most recommended due to it being the cheapest usually. The other clones would be the UTG M324, Well MB02/3/7/10. I know there are a few im missing but i cant remember them right now... Its late.

Lets move on to the pros and cons of the gun.

There are a few cons to this gun. I know that the JG bar-10 has a hollow stock which most people fill with foam or something else which means it isnt a big deal unless you dont fill it. Then its louder then a Metal Hi-Cap when your sling clips hit it. The one other big con is that it has a 45 degree trigger system. While that sucks you can change it to be a 90 degree trigger and sear combo. Until you do that though the chances of you slam firing are alot higher.

This gun does have a few good pros though. Finding upgrade parts for this gun is ridiculously easy. The other thing that i think at least is nice is that even if you get a clone you can still get a legendary TM hopup for it which means you dont need to buy an expensive after market hopup like the PDI.

L96 Clones.

The original is the Maruzen L96. It has about the same number of clones. The UTG L96 because of how well it was made for its price. The others would be the Well MB01/4/5/8 and the TSD SD97.

Cons for this gun are not as plentiful as for the JG Bar-10. That in no way means that the L96 line is better. The real issue with the L96 line is finding upgrade parts. It is a bit harder to find the upgrades for this rifle compared to the VSR rifles. Not so much that it should turn you off of them. The upgrades are a little bit more expensive as well.

It has a lot of good things going for it though. Stock it will perform better then the VSR/clones. It is stock with a 90 degree sear and is really just a work horse. The sears are very strong as well.

Differences Between The Two.

Honestly when fully upgraded there is not a difference. With the best upgrades out there they will be about the same or at least very similar in performance. If we are talking completely stock with only DIY mods the JG Bar-10 will probably be more accurate but not get as much range. The Hop-up in the JG is a bit better then the UTG L96s Hop-up. The thing that UTG L96 has going for it is the trigger. With the UTG L96 you can add in a spring spacer to get out more FPS as the trigger in the L96 is a bit better. The JG Bar-10 if you dont do the air brake modification will be quieter.

So What Do I Buy?

Honestly either of them. They both are good rifles out of the box. It really comes down to what style you prefer. Do not buy any of the well clones though unless you plan on upgrading. Well is known for having a lot of lemons. In the end you should really pick with what looks better. I will say though that at times it can be easier to find VSR parts then it is to find L96 (APS2) parts.

M24 (CA M24)

I believe this gun needs to be mentioned. Although it uses the same parts as the L96. Stock its probably the best performing out of the 3. It also is able to take AEG barrels when its stock which is a nice added bonus. It has the same issues with the L96 with it being a little bit harder to find parts making it a little bit more expensive to upgrade them. It still has the same pros though. Its a very durable gun while stock and it also is stock with a 90 degree trigger/piston combo as well which means a lot less likely to slam fire.

If looking for more info on this scroll down to post 6 (with this being post 1). Tyson took the time to type out a bit more about the CA m24

DIY Mods.

As i find more DIY threads and good discussions i will link them here. Please do use them with the proper precautions.

General guide. Mostly about FPS DIY mods though.
    http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/32-general-sniper-talk/4260-need-speed-fps-checklist.html

Also if you own a CA m24/Javelin M24 please post below on what upgrades it takes and how it was stock. I know that the CA m24 is one of if not the best stock sniper rifle in airsoft. I just dont have any experience with it.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. echo1 vmg-74

echo1 vmg-74 Active Member

What about gas sniper rifles????

3. Frontline

Frontline New Member

I think gas would be categorized under gas guns, but I don't know for sure. There's no clear category on that. As for this, it seems to be a little bit of an oversimplification. Not to mention, this data will change in a few years, and this will be a useless thread (Look back a few years and you'll see some of my dissertations like this). I would recommend to anyone to find a way to hold each one before you purchase. The two feel very different in your hands, and honestly the body style of the sniper rifle is almost as important for each player as almost any other attribute.

4. echo1 vmg-74

echo1 vmg-74 Active Member

This is a "sniper rifle" forum. It doesn't specify gas or spring power.

5. TheFallenHero

I dont know much about the gas sniper rifles. I believe though the best one, or atleast the most recommended, is the Tanaka m700 non takedown version. Then just HPA tap the mags.

Also as far as whether or not this thread has a long life to it. I doubt it will be leaving any time soon. The sad fact is that not much gets updated in the Airsoft Sniper Rifle world. I mean there has really only ever been the VSR/APS2 type rifles and then proprietary rifles. That and i know it is simplified. I wrote it at like 2 am and i do plan on fleshing it out.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  6. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    I can help out with the Classic Army M24.

To start the rifle takes APS2 parts for the most part, this includes the spring, spring guide, piston. As far as barrel, bucking and hopup it uses AEG barrels and buckings right out of the box thanks to the hopup chamber that's similar to PDI's unit. The stock trigger sears are incredibly strong, utilizing that 90 degree sear.

Externally the gun doesn't disappoint, it has a solid polymer stock with a textured grip over it and a one piece barrel/receiver. Because of all this quality the rifle itself weighs a good amount, especially if you compare it to a VSR or clone. I don't see that as an issue myself, because I'm no wimp... Lol, seriously though, the weight adds to the gun in my opinion.

Some issues, the rifle has picky magazines. As far as I know only CA M24 magazines work, however you can mod others to fit and function. Another magazine related issue is when your out off BB's your bolt won't fully return. Often people will force it forward and result in a broken mag. Other then that though, this is by far the best rifle I've owned compared to the others I own or have worked on.

My current setup with my upgraded CA M24 consists of (in case its helpful in the OP):

Internal

-Laylax spring guide
    -Laylax 150 spring
    -Laylax high pressure piston
    -Laylax power accuracy cup
    -Firefly hard bucking
    -Firefly hard type flat rubber
    -Prometheus Sig 550 (534mm barrel)

External

-Classic Army muzzle break (includes another barrel stabilizer ring)
    -Classic Army Socom bipod
    -BSA Optics scope

7. TheFallenHero

How was it stock compared to the VSR/L96?

Also i will edit in an M24 section once i have the time. In the middle of playing some league of legends LOL. I will add in some more stuff about stock. Like the L96 bolt piece that can pop out.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  8. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Stock the internals are pretty solid.

The piston and spring guide are both metal (I believe aluminum??). The sears are extremely solid 90 degree steel and in my opinion don't need to be replaced. The rifle features a PDI like hopup unit and a brass AEG cut inner barrel. It will also include two plastic/o-ring barrel spacers.

9. TheFallenHero

Oh yea i heard about them coming with an aeg style barrel in it. Now how do you think that hop up is compared to the stock L96/VSR hopups.

So for the longest time i thought PDI was the best design but apparently there is a whole debate saying that the VSR style of hopup is a better design now. What are your thoughts on that?

10. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    I can't really compare it to an L96 hopup because I don't have one to compare it too, but compared to a VSR (in my case a clone) I'd say the CA unit has it easily beat. In my VSR chamber the hopup arm in stock form is plastic and paired with the VSR slide style hop setting it doesn't really hold its hop that well. The CA chambers hopup arm is metal and paired with the screw style hop adjuster I find it holds the hop much better, especially once a bit of locktight is applied to it. The CA hopup is also one peice, which I love, because its a snap for installing new barrels/buckings.

As far as the PDI/VSR debate... I'd basically choose a PDI chamber for the same reasons above. It's just an easy chamber to work with and it has better features in my opinion.

11. TheFallenHero

Alright so i just did a bit of research. The L96/CA M24/ PDI hop up all feature the same design using the screw. This makes sense though as it allows for way more minute changes in the hopup rather then the slide and peg design of the VSR/Bar-10 clone style.

This begs the question of why people say the TM VSR-10 hopup is legendary though...

12. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    It's the bucking most likely. TM is known for having an amazing bucking. And, because TM have been on the game so long, the unit itself is good quality, especially compared to clones. They just know what to do and how to do it.

13. TheFallenHero

I suppose all though if its a flaw in design and not quality then the sliding part of it wouldnt matter who manufactured it. In any event if it was the TM bucking why wouldnt people just go out and buy the TM bucking and throw it in their rifles?

In any event though its probably more so because the TM vsr-10 uses low FPS so that bucking/hopup setup works a lot better with a lower FPS perhaps.

14. Zacari_Sadler

Zacari_Sadler New Member

Either a L96 or a TSD SD700

Attached Files:

15. MissouriSniper

MissouriSniper New Member

I would get the L96 as Long as it has a one piece barrel and an adjustable 9x32 scope it is extremely reliable and easy to modify/fix

16. TheFallenHero

You are the type of people this thread was made for. First off every sniper rifle comes with a 1 piece inner barrel. If they didnt airseal would be crap. Secondly if upgrading your base gun doesnt matter at all... Well unless you buy one that you cant upgrade.

And the SD700 is just the JG bar-10... Not quite sure why it makes any sense to buy that over the JG one. Not to mention if you dont upgrade the trigger quickly the upgraded spring that comes in it stock will ruin your trigger in no time.

17. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    The SD700 is actually a WELL IIRC. Not a bad rifle, but it definitely needs better sears or a full zero trigger as TSD like to upgrade it for power. And that means putting a beefy spring in with the weak stock sears. All in all, it will slam fire in no time if left stock.

18. DEATHxSNIPEZ

DEATHxSNIPEZ New Member

I'd say go for a classic army if you can find one ever since they got busted using child labor they lost all their molds for weapons. But if you can find a airsoft classic army sniper be sure to jump on it because the rate of rarity of them will sky rocket and so will the price to sell them. So you could get your money out of it if you were thinking of something else. The only downside to it is that have fun searching the world for parts lol

19. TheFallenHero

Just stop lol. If you have under 100 posts dont even bother giving out recommendations. Both so far have been so wrong it isnt even funny. Not to mention you are not even reading the original post.

CA m24 is a nice rifle. It is not the only gun out there and the only reason to get it is that its nice stock. That honestly doesnt matter as any person looking to get into sniper rifles has to upgrade it anyways.

And your final statement.. Have fun searching for parts? Laylax and PDI both make APS2 parts that are readily available. The VSR just has more companies producing parts.