What the hell are "wired to deans"

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Airsoftdummy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Airsoftdummy

Airsoftdummy New Member

Saintlouis
    So lately I've been looking on a couple Airsoft forums for some m4s. Then boom it says that it is wired to deans. I don't what the hell they are or how you charger them. So could someone explain this to me.

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    You could have used google.....
    They are connectors, you charge them depending on the battery using a connector to deans. They offer lower resistance than tamiyas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Deans are connectors offering less resistance, in short. They are superior to Tamiya connectors, which are the standard connectors on most airsoft guns. Less resistance is equivalent to quicker trigger response and other benefits.

EDIT: You can charge batteries with Deans connectors by using an adaptor or soldering on connectors to the charger itself.

4. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    Also if you have a lipo battery you don't have to worry about an adapter because it uses a separate wire thing with some prongs that connect into a lipo charger.

image-2933333583.jpg

image-2785260000.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Not necessarily. My IMAX B6 has both the JST-XH connector and the standard deans. Both are required to balance charge the Lipo. The discharge port is there so if one or more cells get overcharged, it can safely discharge.

6. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    The one time I decide to be extra helpful and include pictures- I get proven wrong.. :p hope I helped in some way though.

7. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    there are Deans (made by W. S. Deans, Co) and deans type (XT60) connectors made in China.

i have seen XT connectors deform at the body during soldering and also from daily use. the XT s are typically cheaper than Deans. the quality of the material used in the XT bodies varies from batch to batch. also the "gold" used on the contacts doesn't seem to be aconsistentnt in quality as the Deans.

also, and i could be wrong here, Deans have a currratingting of 85A and the XTs are 75A

granted the XTs are better than Tamaya, but for my money i'll go with Deans.

8. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    I've been wondering about these myself, now I know.

9. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    Haven't you been around for a while?

Edit: Yeah you have. I figured you'd be a tech o_O it reminds me of when I accidentally offended Dave because I figured he'd know what something in a gearbox was because he had like a $2k+ collection.

10. BoogerMc

Akron
    I do some teching, but I'm still learning. I have seen them, heard about them, but never really understodd what difference they made or why.

I've never really had any issues with the Tamiyas except fit and one meltdown, but that was because a wire got bared and shorted out.

11. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Deans are really easy to install, and they're ridiculously cheap. Top that off with the fact they increase trigger response by an amount you'll never be able to go back to without, and they last way longer and are easier to plug/unplug? Get em. Asap.

12. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    They are also easy to solder on as well. There are plenty of you tube videos on how to do it. Better trigger response for almost free...no brainer to me. This is especially true if you want to play with a battery with voltages higher than 9.6.

13. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    Yea if you dot know how to solder then I reccomend looking up videos on how to do it. And practice on a spare wire if you have one before you try it on your gun.

14. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Don't cut the tamiya connector from both wires of he battery at the same time. If both battery wires come into contact wth each other, you can short the battery out. Bad idea - especially with LIPO batteries.

15. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    Yes do not cut both of the battery wires at the same time. Cut one then electric tape the end so there is no bare wire then cut the other.

16. BoogerMc

Akron
    Thanks for the advice guys, but electricity is one thing I do know. I've been installing car stereo systems for years, and I'm talking upward of 1,000 watt systems.

I will look into these though.

17. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    That's what I meant.. How else would you install them? Lmao.

Edit: MC if you're familiar with electronics, all the more reason to make deans your first modification.

18. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Rubber bands or used chewing gum. lol

19. BoogerMc

Akron
    Being part Redneck, I'd use bailing wire and chewng tobbacy spit. :D

20. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    That bailing wire..... I use that on the farm to Jerry rig so much crap. Lol.