What's the most stupid thing you've heard or keep hearing in airsoft?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by TheAirsoftingAirsofter, Aug 21, 2020.

1. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    sounds about right

2. Richard Paoletti

Richard Paoletti Member

Hibbing
    “I see guys shoot 300meters all the time”. Made my night.

3. Richard Paoletti

Richard Paoletti Member

Hibbing
    “I see guys shoot 300meters all the time”. Made my night.

4. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    "all ricochets count as hits"
    followed closely by
    "We don't need flashlights. I know my way around in there in the dark. Just keep your hand on my shoulder." (one of the stupidest moments I've had in airsoft but it somehow worked.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. The first one is one I've had a small problem with.
    Because, in a real-life battle, a ricochet most likely would injure you and put you out for the count.
    Maybe not kill you, but it definitely would injure you.
    Unless you had some type of body-armor on, but, in airsoft chest-plate carriers don't really matter.
    If you get hit in the body-armor, you're still dead.
    So, that's why I think there should be a small effect placed on a player that got hit by a ricochet.
    Maybe a 30-second delay before you can join the fight again.
    Nothing huge, but something that could at least begin to act like a real gunfight.
    But, you would have to know exactly if you got hit or were hit by a ricochet, so it might not work that well.
    TAA

6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Thing is plastic balls ricochet much different then a jacket lead/steel round.

I could consistently bounce bbs off a wall and peg a guy in the back of the head...but that shouldn't count.

I have skipped shots as a distraction method to get someone to duck so we could move on them...that shouldn't count either.

Then there is the complexity of discharging a 40mm Grenade in a room with hard surfaces...

The type of bb that you use also dictate how much of a ricochet/bounce you get. Lacquered Starch BIOs...not at all. Silica glass bbs...oh definitely.

7. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    True, but it is kinda funny when people call it. Usually if i get shot from some where random i just assume its a ricochet and i still call it because why not. it takes less than a minute to get back to where i was usually.

Iram and TheAirsoftingAirsofter like this.
  8. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    I had a shot hit me that bounced off a stack of car tires 20 feet away. The guy wasnt even shooting in my direction. Unfortunately the field owner saw it and told me matter of factly that i was out even though he was laughing his nuts off.

9. I definitely agree.
    An actual bullet will ricochet MUCH differently than an airsoft BB.
    So that makes a lot of sense.
    I, like @yrutimid, said, would still call it.
    Too many people nowadays freaking out about the fact they think they hit you.
    Should you stand your ground? Absolutely.
    But I don't think it's worth it getting you both possibly kicked out because they hit you with a ricochet.
    TAA

10. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    now the only reasong i would not call it if i was in the "towers on my field." when ur up there all guns are pointed at you and its ricochet city. other than that i call ricochets

11. Malikyte

Malikyte Member

There's a classic line any old-timers from Ye Olde TNAirsoft forums back a hundred years ago might remember...
    "Black is not camouflage."

That's a correction to a myth, not the myth itself. It seemed that some people, particularly kids who didn't know anything about camouflage or how the human eye interprets colors and shapes, felt that when playing at night or in dark CQB arenas solid-black uniforms offered the best "stealth" (hey it works for Sam Fisher, right?). They didn't realize that even in low-light environments, a giant black human-shaped blob stuck out like a sore thumb against textured and/or multi-color backgrounds like a woodland environment or even the walls in our old abandoned hospital.

There were so many dummies running around saying black was your best choice in low light, regardless of your environment, that "Black is not camouflage" ended up becoming a catch-phrase or kind of running joke on our forum.

12. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    "You dont need high-power optics for airsoft"

I beg to differ...especially for the DMR/Sniper roles. Being able to ID things at distance can really help you and your squad/team out.

My DMR has a 6-24x variable power optic on it. It lets me see the name of town on the watertower a few miles away..as well as that squad of enemies on the next hillside...

13. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Mmm ok, but you could just use a pocket scope or a pair of binos for that. The high power optic does absolutely nothing for your gun and actually hurts visibility at the guns effective range. I have a fully customized JG bar10 shooting like a laser at 520 fps because of the crazy high field limit here in central cali. I still have never seen a reason to use anything over a 4x.
    Also, if you need a scope to spot people then you are probably playing on a huge field or a milsim event where the enemy is so far away they aren't even a threat. Everything in airsoft ranges should be spotable to the naked eye. I could see if you were at a milsim and were intentionally positioned in a tower or something to radio the enemy's position to the rest of your team or something, but that's a niche scenario.

14. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Man I tried a 4x optic and found it incredibly hard to rapidly acquire targets. Where a red dot is just mindlessly easy. Maybe its more useful at a milsim but anything closer than 35 yards or so is quickly spotted before even aiming.

Now for a bolt action its a bit more viable but camo matters much more. I had a bolt action shoot my throat 30 yards away a weekend ago, didn't see him at all till he got up after the game ended. Even if I had a scope I would be hit before finding the guy. Some milsims allow stupid high fps for bolt actions that really make an optic very useful. 700fps with .2 is probably the highest I've seen allowed.

15. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    If that were the case then yes i could see using maybe a 6x and it still being useful. But still. thats a rare situation and even then the scope would still be mostly for simulation.

16. yrutimid

yrutimid Active Member

Phoenix
    "WE tech hicapa slide will break because they are made of cheap brittle pot metal and are to heavy."

Yeah, about that. The only part broken on my hicapa slide is part of the rear sight which i broke accidentally. Also, the slide isnt that heavy. if i can out perform custom hicapas and some Polarstars with it then its good.

17. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

The reason you hear this is because WE used to have much heavier slides that caused all kinds of issues, including gas efficiency, which they got bad rep for and I guess they decided to change. WE tend to have horrible tolerances with their guns from my experience. I haven't tried one of their hicapas but the proprietary piston/bbu kept me away from their lineup. I stuck with a TM and some aftermarket parts.

Some kjw pistols still use heavy heavy pot metal that deforms from even a hard press of a fingernail. Which is absurd. My friend bumped his into a wall which flattened the back sight, bent the slide a bit and bent the bbu locking up the nozzle which I had to fix, man that metal was softer than anything I've ever seen before. Makes me wonder if it had lead content.

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I have never seen a KJW slide like that, ever.

19. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

Well I went from being impressed by the pistol to shocked pretty quickly. Its not something I've seen with that brand before either years ago. Their pot metal has always seemed heavy but it was more brittle than malleable like normal pot metal.

It wasn't perfect tm spec so aftermarket parts would have been hard to fit. Plus he was on a budget so the repair had to be done without part replacement. Next time I see him ill take a photo and send you it. Its basically all fixed up besides the 1911 style rear sight looken all flattened. I dont really know what metal they used in that batch but I know I personally will stay away from their products if that's the quality of their metals from now on. It was bought in 2019.

The metal wasn't brittle at all, just very soft. He smacked it pretty good but you would think that should have just left a dent, not lock up the nozzle after deforming a total of 3 parts.

20. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Casting Zinc/Aluminum alloy is very different from something with a lead alloy.

Yes, you can bend zinc/aluminum slides with pressure...

And what I know of KJW...they don't mess with lead...