Whats with Tokyo Marui?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by mnmetalhead1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. mnmetalhead1

mnmetalhead1 GBB FTW Supporting Member

Hibbing
    Ive recently come into possession of a Classic Army M15a4 Seal and in these tight times i put it up for sale in the classifieds threads. To fill you in this isnt just a stock gun it has a Prommy barrel, madbull bucking, prommy hopup, new piston, reshimmed regreased, CA high torque motor, 9.6v butterfly battery wired into the mod style stock with deans connectors so understandably i would like a fair price or a reasonably fair trade with some cash. maybe someone can fill me in as to why someone would think offering me a TM M4 would be an acceptable trade? Seeing as i had a solid gun with a full metal receiver and good internals, what makes a plastic bodied TM even comparable?

2. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    It's not, don't take the trade.

3. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    lol, i didnt, but whats with everyone thinking that theyre plastic bodied TM is worth $200+

4. LancerAL

LancerAL Member

Lafayette
    They just think the Tokyo Marui name means instant $4,000,000 trade value.

5. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    Let me ask this instead, what makes Tokyo marui worth the money in the first place? someone who owns one has to have some sort of opinion.

6. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Marui is the original airsoft manufacturers. I have never heard of one of there guns failing anyone. They have low FPS but the Marui Hop-Up is top. Right now you have a CA. Which are also very good. IMO I would take the Marui over CA. But, either one will serve you well. It's called Marui compatible for a reason.

7. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    TM is a great base gun. No need for upgrades to make it a nice gun. Some are worth good money while others are not. Value on this forum especially youll see is not really based on actual worth but personal worth. If a gun is used I will not pay more than 75% of the retail price depending on condition, usage and problems. Upgrades do not get you full value back either. Basically like with a car, expect to get 75% of what you spent total back in your sale unless you find someone who wants everything youve done specifically.
    Also, full metal doesnt mean your gun is better than a plastic bodied gun. In the case of CA they use a good metal but the Cybergun Colt has a **** potmetal body that IMO is worse than a CM plastic body...
    How much are you asking for your CA?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    It doesn't. There is no real advantage to owning a TM. The only possible exception would be for CQB, and even then, at lots of places, it's still weak for CQB ratings.

Plastic bodies, nylon bushings, weak internals and externals. Granted, the gun will last forever on the stock spring, but what gun won't last forever on an M90? They are very, very expensive for being a step outside of LPEGs.

Now, their newer models are a little different. They have extra features that help make up the price difference, along with a metal body. Is it worth the $500 price tag? I don't think so, but they do provide some things that other companies don't provide.

9. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    thats fine that theyre "original" but that doesnt automatically make them the best, im wondering why anyone would pay so much for a plastic gun even if the plastic is sturdy and yet flexible so it doesnt crack, why not get a metal receiver for the same price? im not trying to rip on anyones opinions, i just cant understand the logic is all

10. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    and i understand steel vs pot metal, but it sounds like everyone praises TM but then they talk about putting on a metal reciever, and a 1 piece barrel, and this, and that... why not but a good sollid steel reciever pre installed on something like a CA or G&P?
    and i dont expect much over 50% of investment so i understand the theory of values, and to be honest, value is what any buyer is willing to pay, cause if you dont have a buyer out there theres no point trying to sell it

... and to all those wondering, i already sold my CA to my brother for $250

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

My second gun was a TM MP5, and of the 60+ guns I've owned in my airsoft career, it's then only one I regret selling. The stock hop up is incredible, and even with an upgraded spring (M120) the internals were keeping up perfectly.

12. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    would a full metal aftermarket hop up be better? just trying to get a feel for the quality

13. Lil_Shady

Not in my experience. An Rhop or flat hop type mod is better but most upgraded hops I've seen aren't as good as TM

14. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    fair, what about gears and pistons? steel gears? all polymer pistons or steel rack of teeth? ported piston head?

15. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    - Gears are cast aluminum I think, not super strong (but can handle up to a M130)
    - piston is full plastic with 1 metal tooth. Pretty light (Up to a M130)
    - piston head is just cut for a port. Nothing special.
    - plastic bushings can handle up to m120
    - motors are good. Eg700 or eg1000 can handle up to a M140. And are very quiet and don't eat up your battery as much.

A TM stock gun is probably one of the smoothest and quietest guns out of the box. I've owned all of them minus a few recoil shocks and high cycles. Internals might not be super crazy steel stuff, but they tend to last long, and hold up to their reputation.

Quality externally is perfect for a plastic gun. Doesn't feel cheap. The weight might make it feel cheap, but it's perfect for an airsoft gun. And the ABS plastic parts are made very well and fit perfectly.

To each their own when it comes to personal preference.
    Tokyo Marui guns hold their resale value a lot more then almost any other brand out there. Just depends what kind of airsoft market you have around you as well. In Hawaii, it's still prized and highly collectible while still being the standard base gun for high end builds.

An old TM plastic gun can sell for $150+ (plastic) while a new JG/chinese brand (metal body) gun will sell for half the price used.

16. LancerAL

LancerAL Member

Lafayette
    Some may hail TM hopups as being the best out there, and they are quite good. but, when you play woodland like I do, and most people around my state, the low FPS of TM guns has a nasty habit of hitting a leaf or branch in a shrub and deflecting off, where as a 350+ gun has a fighting chance of getting through to the guy cowering behind the bush.

Now, don't take that in the wrong way. I find TM's are incapable of effective field play due to certain limitations, but that doesn't mean that I don't adore my TM MP5 for CQB.

17. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I have a TM Biohazard M9. It's not very impressive. The grip creaks worse than a wooden door in a haunted mansion and the magazine that came with it leaks, noticeably.

18. Lil_Shady

I fixed that by upping the spring. Increased the FPS for field play, with no noticeable extra wear on the other parts, which all remained stock.

We're talking about AEGs here, and it sounds like you've got a lemon. I've had nothing but top performance from all the TM GBBs I've owned.

19. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    False. There were many airsoft manufacturers before TM.

20. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Very true :) there are a lot of manufacturers :)