When to involve the law in buying/selling/trading?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by MagPulfan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MagPulfan

MagPulfan New Member

Seattle
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and am considering buying a used gun or two. I've had trouble in the past with buying used, and my friend had an awful experience trading. Neither of them ever felt they had a legitimate case against the other side, but wanted to involve the law in some way.

My question is, when do you guys involve the law? Have you personally ever done it? I'm not interested in "I would" situations, I'm interested in "I did" situations. Would you bother filing a lawsuit against someone if the item never arrived? Arrived broken or missing parts? I'll be spending well under $300, so would it be worth my time and money to pursue a bad deal?

Yes, I know I am jumping to worst case too fast, but given past experiences, I am curious. Also, to throw it out there, I have no interest in buying new when I can buy upgraded better guns for less used.

Thanks for any input guys.

2. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    no offence but I have never had an issue selling anything and I have 100% on Ebay yada yada so on. but this post would make me not want to sell to you. as even if I were to have a issue and try to resolve it who knows what you would do. I have had a friend almost got ripped off from a bad buyer once and made a pp dispute that even after proof of the sale and that everything was as described, PP held up his cash for months. another friend had a guy claim that goods were never received and when he went and sent another set out the guy did the same thing.... he lost a payment goods and rep all over crap that we had proof of because PP said there is no proof who was there for delivery he lost out. so no sir I will remember to never sell to you!

3. MagPulfan

MagPulfan New Member

Seattle
    What..? I was asking for opinions, not what I'd do.

4. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    This is a good link with some usefull information. Wouldn't hurt to read through it. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3500217
    Reason they have a seperate section is lots of times with paintball guns you are talking in the thousands..

If you pay with paypal you can open a dispute and what not but that doesn't always guarentee a return. However everytime except for one time when I filed a PP dispute It went in my favor.

The BEST way to resolve it is talking to the other party. Get all and any information you need to feel "safe". If trading use 3rd party if you feel uncomfotable, If buying only use paypal becuase it's the only way you get some type of protection.

As far as involving the police, Almost everytime I've heard of someone doing it nothing happens. Only time the police go after someone is if they are scamming multiple people. If you do decide to just make sure you have PROOF of them ripping you off. Otherwise it's just a he said she said type of deal. When to do it ? Depends on the situation..

Lastly the reason dead eye is saying he wont deal with you is becuase there are a lot of buyers that intentionally scam sellers. And hes just stating that with this post you "might" try to do that... Hes not saying you would, but it's a possibility and hes not going to take that chance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. MagPulfan

MagPulfan New Member

Seattle
    Thanks for the link and info. Very informative. I don't see why he, or anyone, would be worried about a buyer learning when to react. If anything it should make me a more appeal-able buyer as I won't go trippy over the first sign of something wrong. Seems to me only people who think their merchandise isn't up to par would have a problem with my thread.

6. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    Another good idea since you are considering buying a gun is Video tape yourself opening the box. Take everything out, make sure it all works and what not in front of the camera. This way if it doesn't or something is missing or the gun doesn't work you have solid proof.

Just remember, sometimes it's not the sellers fault. Items can get broke in transportation. Just take a look at the below video..
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5uIH0VTg_o&feature=related[/ame]

Hope this helps.

7. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Regardless of the situation, if the seller is too quick about getting rid of the item, or the buyer wants to do a quick transaction w/ very little conversation I simply walk away.
    For anyone new on a forum or anyone shipping the gun, I request they send me a video of the gun shooting and functioning. OR I ask if they have an account on another forum, then I do my homework and sometimes send their other forum account a message.

I don't and never buy anything upgraded UNLESS a well-known, respectable forum member (or friend) is selling it. There are too many idiots who improperly upgrade.

On top of that, I trust my gut. I've traded, sold and purchased so many guns via internet, craigs list, and so on, I've learned to trust my gut when I kicks. I'd rather walk away and lose a sale then attempt to sell and get cheated out or robbed.

8. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach

Wait, we aren't supposed to spend thousands on an airsoft gun? Whoops.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  9. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    You can spend as much as you want. I never said you arn't supposed to.

My point was, Even with guns selling around 1000.00 the police don't do that much. Even if they do get involved it could take months to get a resolution. This doesn't always mean you get your money or item either, but instead he could be fined or go to jail and in all actuality you still loose..

10. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    You essentially said that airsoft guns cost less then paintball guns, in which I responded; whoops.

You might still lose, but if someone stole $1,000+ from me I would lose a bit more to make sure he's punished; rather it be money or time.