Which brand M4 magazines feed the best? (hi-cap, mid-cap.)

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by modularvideo, Nov 24, 2021.

1. modularvideo

modularvideo Active Member

Los Angeles
    I have a CYMA SCAR, A&K M4 + CYMA M4A1 (all full-metal), shooting Matrix-branded 0.25g BBs exclusively. I've been using the magazines that came with each gun and have one spare Matrix hi-cap. Note that the magazine that came with the SCAR fits like a $500 gun—zero wiggle—while a Matrix mag in the SCAR has quite a bit of play. As usual, I suspect, both M4s' magazines wiggle a little.

I'm currently running hi-caps but I could easily be convinced to convert to mid-caps if that resolves the rattling-BB problem (I'm only backyard-plinking). I saw a magazine spring-mod somewhere which totally solves the problem. But mods aside, which magazines feed the best out-of-the-box, and is this gun-specific? Price is not an issue. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    It's more gun specific for fitment.

Since you are high on looks you would want to look at the D-Day DMAGS...Asian Version...

Remember, Asian players like authenticity...

modularvideo likes this.

3. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Well, you see not all midcaps are the same quality. Same goes for high cap mags.

Out of the box the long g&g high caps are good, but pricy. They will however feed at high rps.

Midcaps, it depends on your expectations. Lots of cheap midcaps work fine with a decent bb. But they may struggle feeding past 25rps.

For backyard stuff a cheap highcap is fine.

For events with unfavorable weather conditions, midcaps are a must.

Rain ruins high caps due to rust.

modularvideo likes this.
  4. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks! At this price category, I don't care how much they cost. I'd pay pretty much any price to ensure problem-free feeding. Someday, I'll make that big order for the Tokyo Marui ERGs, but until then, I would just like more consistent feeds.

Actually, let me ask you another question: Which mags do you think are best overall in design and construction (i.e., good candidates for spring-replacement)? I would definitely like to replace all my AEG magazine-springs since it's an inexpensive and easy mod.

Note: One YouTube video demonstrated using MAS (Maple Airsoft Supply) mag-replacement springs [full product name: Maple Airsoft Supply SuperFeed Series, high-speed replacement magazine springs, gen. 2]. I found some here for just $11.99 for a pack of three.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Why not buy once and buy quality?

Maple Airsoft is in Canada, so you will have INTL shipping to deal with (higher cost).

Try the DDay DMAGs. Just one...and you will see that good midcaps do exist and you don't have to make them better with spring swaps...and you don't hve to get it from Evike. Plus you can't get the good ones from them any ways...

wetpee and modularvideo like this.
  6. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Cool! I will buy a bunch of those mid-caps (unless available locally) when I make my big Hong Kong order in a few months.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    "You can't get them from Evike"...means you can't get them locally.

8. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Man I opened one of the bamf gen 2 mags the other night. Horrible mags. So many flaws and design shortcomings.
    The track has rough spots randomly, the double to single stack side tracks are horribly designed and don't work very well. The follower doesn't work properly and the bottom of the mag was redesigned without changing the old molds for the rest of the mag. Resulting in loose fitting parts. Embarrassingly bad.

PocketBlaster likes this.
  9. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    PTS EPMs are the best M4 midcaps out there.

10. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    My brand new A&K M16A3 doesn't feed using its stock mag on full-auto (9.6V NiMHs). My A&K M4 RIS does the same as I recall. Is there anything I can do other than shaking the mag/gun to get it "started" again?

(I just ordered three KWA MS120C mid-caps from Amazon for my Ronin T10. Of course, they feed perfectly with their extra-long followers.)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    EPM...is one of the top 3. DDAY and G&P are the other 2 in my opinion.

BAMF mags are made by Ares (last I recall). The 190 mold is very old (began with MAG) and not logically designed. All looks and mediocre performance.

MV. by not feeding do you mean your hicaps? How are you winding it?

Are you taking about 1 minute to wind it like this?

modularvideo likes this.
  12. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Right, the hi-caps. I probably do it only half as long until it starts to get "tight." I guess I'm not winding it enough—I'll give that a go—thanks! I wish there was an auto-winder for these (not that battery-powered one).

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Some models have winding keys.

But none of those mags are the better made ones, plus they look "unrealistic" with a hole in the side of the mag wall.

14. Graybeard

Graybeard Active Member

Silver Spring
    I’ve always worried about over winding. When I bought my first aeg, that was something that people would warn me about doing. Plus, I don’t like the sound of all the loose bbs bouncing around like a baby’s rattle. So I always went for midcaps.

How do you know when you’re done winding?

15. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
  16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Not yet.

You can't over wind a high cap. They are made to prevent that.

Watch the video at the 1:50 point you can hear the "tak" that is the skipping point of a fully wound mag. This sound varies with each model, but once you experience it you know what to listen for.

And the rattle of a partially full high cap is not as loud as you think. At 30 feet it's not that audible with "regular" movements...

modularvideo likes this.
  17. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Aha! Thanks, Squad144! I guess someone's getting some new mags soon!

Guges: I don't mind the hole if it makes life easier. Something I was looking at recently has the winding-hole—I'm totally down for that (i.e., anything that makes this stuff easier). Realism for movie props is like 5% of this journey—the other 95% is for fun.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Squad144 likes this.
  18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Then you should get Flash Mags. No holes and has a fast winding system at the sacrifice of the ability to fire the whole reservoir in one go.

19. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Very cool, Guges—thanks! Looks like these are the mags for me. I think I'll be getting a couple of Lonex metal flash-mags to try out soon. One commenter said it doesn't fit his KWA, but I'll probably keep using KWA mid-caps in the T10 since they look so cool (also, I have zero-feed issues with the KWA extended-followers).

20. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    There are other makers of "flash mags" too.

modularvideo likes this.