Featured Which gun is this? (i.e., what handguard is on this M16A1/M203-build?)

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by modularvideo, Jan 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM.

1. modularvideo

modularvideo Active Member

Los Angeles
    According to IMFDB, this is an M16A1 with a Cobray CM203 37mm grenade-launcher (subbing for an M203) from the movie Jarhead. Is there an airsoft version (AEG) of this particular M16-build with this handguard? And ideally, with the Colt-licensed M203 already installed (or an M203-clone).

Or, is this handguard only available separately or in real-steel? And if so, would such a part be likely to fit the Colt-licensed CYMA M4A1 carbine AEG I already own?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 7:54 AM
  2. leerihai

leerihai Member

I suggest you not to use a launcher unless you want to teamkill efficiently

3. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    I don't play and don't plan on using the launcher that often. This is primarily a cosmetic-build for backyard plinking and as a potential movie-prop.

4. leerihai

leerihai Member

Well G&P's M16A3 M203 fits you perfectly then

5. leerihai

leerihai Member

And the site got it wrong, there is a notch to deflect shells when they fly towards the user, the one on top is a M16A1 which don't have that notch while the one on the bottom have and seems to be an A3 or 4, G&P's one fits the one used in Jarhead

Squad144 likes this.
  6. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, but not sure which gun you're talking about. The G&P M16A3's handguard on Evike looks exactly like my CYMA M4A1's. Are you saying there's a version of the G&P A3 that comes with the other handguard I posted above?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 8:07 AM
  7. leerihai

leerihai Member

modularvideo likes this.
  8. modularvideo

Los Angeles
  9. leerihai

leerihai Member

You can also try Classic Army's M203 with M16A3 package, there are lot on the market

modularvideo likes this.
  10. Graybeard

Graybeard Active Member

Silver Spring
    The hand guard you are seeing was part of the launcher mounting system. They would have removed the hand guard from the rifle and put that one on. That’s why you see this photo with this hand guard, and the launcer with the ventalated guard. There’s a conversion kit on the airsoft market too.
    https://www.evike.com/products/24891/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    modularvideo likes this.
  11. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    modularvideo likes this.
  12. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, guys! Great info on the M203s, Guges! Yes, I noticed that about the fixed-handle versus the rail-mount handle. By the way, does anyone make a full-sized M4 handle? All the airsoft handles seem clearly undersized. Are real-steel M4 handles really expensive?

Graybeard, that conversion kit rocks! Unfortunately, both the G&P-build and conversion kit mentioned appear to be out-of-stock everywhere (and, apparently for some time), and perhaps even discontinued. But thanks anyway for all the help everyone!

13. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Depends on the "removeable" carry handle maker...again G&P made the most accurate one...I threw out tens of those units...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022 at 9:06 AM
  14. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    M16/M4/AR15 carry-handles:

Thanks, Guges. Near the top of my airsoft replica gripes is carry-handles that are too small. Aside from the real-steel, $200 Colt carry-handle, they all appear too small, whether for airsoft or real-steel. Even the $117 Armalite handle looks a bit too diminutive.

The most highly rated AR15 carry-handle on OpticsPlanet, the NcSTAR, had one reviewer who says he has small hands, complained that he had difficulty getting his hand though it. One customer gave the AIM Sports handle one-star due to poor quality (its only review).

I don't know where you can find an old-school M16 or AR15 carry-handle that's large enough for an adult male's hands. Not too focused on the quality of the sights, I just want a handle that I can comfortably slip my hand through.

So I found this Lion Gears handle [#LG-BMCH18] at OpticsPlanet for a reasonable $33.99. Its open-bottomed design will at least afford a bit more clearance. If it works out, I'll be getting one for each of my M16s, plus every M4 I own without mounted optics.

[​IMG]
    Lion Gears LG-BMCH18 carry-handle ($33.99).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022 at 12:23 AM
  15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    The removeable carry handles were never fully functional for hand comfort. This is due to the fact that if you raise the handle for comfort, the rear sight becomes too high for the front A2 sight post.

It is only the "civilian" market that thinks this was actually how it's supposed to be used...when in fact it is not.

Here is a picture from the mid 1990's. See how small that handle really is...

upload_2022-1-17_7-48-20.png

And since the handle was "non-functional".

[​IMG]

This is how this rear sight came to be for co-witnessing...

Yes...they just essentially cut the front of the carry handle off.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022 at 9:06 AM
    modularvideo likes this.
  16. leerihai

leerihai Member

Carry handle isn't exactly a carry handle but a sight riser, to bad Stoner isn't here to explain it anymore but while I don't see it being that big of a issue to use it as an actual handle, it is designed to raise the rear sight up, and yeah it is an A2 not 3, my dumbass missed the fact how the carry handle is fixed on the receiver, G&P is the most accurate maker for Aeg and the receiver is very accurate but you can go GBB as well if you want maximum realism

modularvideo likes this.
  17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    TM also has a period accurate M16A2 and M203 combo...but that one is polymer.

modularvideo likes this.
  18. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks again, Guges. It's just that the M16 carry-handles in the movies appear huge, far larger than the ones I see in airsoft. Yeah, I'm only considering the full-metal Tokyo Marui NGRS rifles at this point, should I decide to go that way.

19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That is the A2 upper...since it has no rail attachment point it is bigger.

Your M4A1 with a Flat Top will never be this way, ever.

The Rail segment and the attachment point eats over 3/4 of an inch.

modularvideo likes this.