Featured Which guns should I keep?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Mike223, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    Hello all, I feel like im developing an issue saying no to buying more airsoft guns and junk. Anyways Id like some help or like to hear which guns you guys like the most.

I have: Lancer tactical m4 gen 2, kwa cqb mod 2, kwa km4 ris, cyma ak (I think its a cm040, full metal, ris and adjustable stock), metal ics m4 with ris (idk the specific name but I know its at least like 7 years old or so). G&G prk9 with foldable and adjustable stock, G&G TR16 MBR308SR with gate titan mosfet.

What do you like the most out of these? And what would you keep and get rid of?

I like the m4 style the most, the ak is in shipping so idk how it feels compared to m4s. Also I usually play in field/ backyard casually with friends. I havent really messed with opening up guns yet or any upgrades. I was thinking maybe keeping the ics since I hear a lot like the split gearbox but its somewhat old, so are the kwas. I know a lot of people love the cyma aks too.

And you guys prefer metal or plastic bodies on your guns? Metal is cool, but idk if I need it since I dont drop my guns or abuse them and it makes them heavier.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Honestly...it's all up to you. Keep what "you" like.

If you are running them in stock form...they are "all" fine AEGs.

aotsukisho likes this.

3. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    I guess im just curious is if one has a few of people who think its built really well internally or externally, Or the complete opposite of people who have had issues with a certain gun and if it will have any issues down the road with something being poorly designed compared to the others, difficulty getting parts or working on, being less durable, any difference in performance.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Nothing stands out as something built really well...other than the 2GX Mechbox shell.

The KWA 2GC Mechboxes are nearly indestructible, but they don't play with any other AEG and you have polymer externals on the KWA. Not necessarily bad...but it down a few pegs on the "looks" side.

wetpee likes this.
  5. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

This is fine if you accept it for what it is, which is a super lightweight plastic fantastic entry-level M4 AEG. I have a client who loves his and each upgrade part improves performance in a measurable way. The piston and/or gearbox rails don't seem to be quite Marui-spec just FYI, fortunately on his the piston had a glued-in steel rack so it's fine for now.

KWA makes solid AEGs with strong gearboxes as Guges said. I run a KWA TK.45c and it was fine unmodified but still runs great heavily modified (M170 DSG). I guess the aesthetics are hit or miss on the non-milspec designs

I don't have firsthand experience with a CYMA AK but have seen a CYMA PP-19 Bizon and aside from it not firing out of the box (broken nozzle) once fixed it shot well and was heavy (realism?). Only real complaint is that its cycle time was slow compared to 'premium' offerings like KWA or Krytac but that's easily fixed

Don't have any G&G AR-10's but I do like all my G&G AR-15 based AEGs. They are a bit pricey and do only use a standard size cylinder (G2 gearbox is v2 based, not v2.5 extended) but isn't a problem with the SBR variant. I personally like the TR16 SBR 308 MKII, I would like it even more with a different stock lol.

I guess G&G didn't want to make a v2.5 G2 (G2.5?) but I do find it interesting they also make an SR-25 with the proper extended cylinder. I use the GR25 mags in my garbage CA AR-10 since it wouldn't feed properly with CA mags (hicap and midcaps)

Completely up to you, for me it's plastic for AEGs and metal for gas (I run mainly AR platform).

6. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    when you say they don’t play with any other aeg do you mean like performance wise they’re not as good? As for the externals I think it looks fine but I’m not that picky about it.

7. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    I’ll probably keep the lancer as i will probably use it as a test gun to start opening up and learning about that sort of stuff.

As for the kwas I might get rid of one as I probably don’t need two lol.

I know a lot of people recommend or mention the cyma aks so I’ll probably keep that as well, as for the g&gs I’ll see. Someone in another thread mentioned there being an issue with the mosfets or something that’s apparently kinda common so I might get rid of those idk. Unless there is a way to change something on the gun and I won’t have to worry about the issue anymore.

And I think maybe I’m starting to like plastic a bit more for guns as it’s lighter and I don’t need a super realistic gun as I said I’m not very picky.But if it breaks I’d maybe be wishing I had metal. But I haven’t had any issues so far with any plastic ones.

8. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Chicago
    I believe he meant that they have proprietary parts. I'm not sure on external compatibility, that stuff is seems like a toss-up to me these days. Internally, KWA will for sure have a proprietary tappet plate design. Possibly nozzle and selector plate as well. Everything else should be standard V2 on your models. I am also in support of keeping the KWAs, or at least whichever one you like most or have a purpose for. Definitely keep the MBR. Its a nice rifle, even though it doesn't have the extended cylinder that a long inner barrel really should have. You can go for a bore-up compression kit to compensate if you're struggling to maintain muzzle energy with heavier BB weights.

Determine a few purposes you'd like to fulfill with your primaries and pick out which ones best suit each purpose. MBR is DMR and just a high quality RIF. Perhaps go for a "rifleman" type role for another slot and the last can be CQB. Each of your RIFs can be purpose built to be a top performer in nearly any category so if you like having lightweight stuff, keep the plastic body ones. If you like the metal feel, keep at least one full metal one over a plastic body and so forth.

You got a solid collection there, just go for what makes sense for you.

9. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Chicago
    If you installed a Gate Titan in the MBR, the MOSFET issue is resolved.

10. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    Yeah, I’ve heard about the proprietary parts, it is what it is I guess. I have never played indoors and idk if I will down the road or not. Generally I’ll play with my friends in a big backyard/woods/field but there may be some close ish engagements so maybe it would be fine.

I’ve heard the only difference is the metal lower receiver and the cylinder. So if I keep the cqr and wanna up the fps and make it like the km4 for field us or whatever that’s all I’d have to do. And the km4 I have is rear wired and has a slightly longer barrel along with ris. (Although I probably won’t add much besides maybe a foregrip)

I think dmr style sounds cool though but I’ve heard it can be expensive as you may need to upgrade it a bit.m

As for the rifleman thing, this one probably has the most options. I could either use the km4, lancer, ics or cyma ak.

They’re all metal besides the lancer, but I do like the light feeling of the lancer though and it could be a good gun to take apart and everything so I’m pretty sure I’m keeping it. I’ll think about it and see how I like the ak feel vs m4 as well, but I feel like an m4 would be better ergonomically.

If I wanna do a cqb build that would probably be the kwa cqb or the g&g prk9. But it seems like the prk9 has issues and the mags are a little harder to fit in.

Right now I feel like I like the plastic a little more but I’ll play with both some more and see how I feel.

wetpee likes this.
  11. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Chicago
    The LT is a fantastic option for beginning your tech experience. There are a lot of little DIY, essentially 0 cost methods you can employ to improve those replicas and the parts are cheap and nothing special so its not a big deal if you mess something up. I don't want to spoonfeed everything to you, but when you do decide to get into the tech side of things more intimately, try looking for ways you can make things smoother or do their job more reliably. Think about where mechanical resistance can be reduced. In a machine employing both mechanical and electrical devices, mechanical resistance/load essentially acts as electrical resistance when the two are connected. Increasing load on the motor, which converts electrical energy to kinetic, will increase amp draw. There is also a point at which a motor cannot take anymore load and it will stall out, failing to cycle even if the battery can supply more current (amps).

rue_exe likes this.
  12. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    yeah I figured I might as well since I should probably clean it for the first time and it’s a cheap gun I’ve had for a few years and I wanna get to working on the other ones too. Im sure there’s plenty of videos and stuff if I need help so that’s always good.

Also, Thank you for all the advice!

wetpee likes this.
  13. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    With Airsoft and (most other things in life). One needs to dive deeper into the details.

With Airsoft in the last 5 years getting regional "variances" in production, this is very important for very few things are TM compatible any more and you just can't buy a part and drop it in and expect it to work with no issues.

The 2GX mechbox main issue is this. It's fatter then a standard V2.

Can you pick out the variance?

[​IMG]

15. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    Yeah, ive heard that the kwas I have do have some proprietary parts unfortunately. And yeah it looks like there are a few differences I can see from the picture like different number of screw holes and the one on the top having that extra little bit added near the front.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Screw holes is of no major importance. But alignment holes may be.

The reinforcement they added to the mechbox that you did notice is the big factor. Not many uppers made by other companies can accommodate that extra "girth".

17. Mike223

Mike223 Member

Stacy
    I kinda figured the screw holes didnt matter that much lol. But as for compatibility idk what I have planned down the road if I wanna get away from the metal body or upgrade anything.

I think my ics would be a little bit of a similar situation at least with the body because I think it has the split gearbox, idk what else is proprietary though on it.

But like I said as of now ill probably run whatever guns I have stock for a while and get familiar working on my lancer tactical, then moving up and trying to clean and do the basic minor upgrades I can. When I know I can do them correctly Ill maybe try everything I did on the lancer to my other guns. And I know they might be a little different taking them apart so I wanna start with the cheaper gun and one that might be easier (I think my gen2 lt has a quick change spring, which I hear makes it easier).