Which is smarter?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by UsMc-alltheway, Sep 16, 2012.

1. UsMc-alltheway

UsMc-alltheway New Member

Tampa
    Ok to start off with I have the Cyma M14. Now what I am wondering is should I upgrade the M14 or should I get the JG M-4 S-system? If I do the M14 I will most likely get a 6.03 barrel, new hop-up, new long type motor, rail mount, and shim it. If I get the JG it will most likely be the externals first as I've heard JG internals are fairly awesome. What I'm really asking is what would you do? The cost of the gun wouldn't be a problem and I would have about 200 for upgrades. And to make sure you know, I play field.

2. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    I say upgrade. A friend of mine has a Cyma M14, it is quite nice. I'm sure with some upgrades it would be even better.

I recommend regreasing, shimming, correct AoE, 6.03 barrel (Doesn't really need to be longer than the stock barrel, as I'm fairly certain it is a pretty long barrel.) shim hop up arm, possibly new bucking, if you are inclined, R-Hop, new air nozzle with O ring.
    Focus on internals first, then move to externals.

3. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Ok sounds good, the barrel should be Prometheus right? And what about the motor?

4. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Prommy barrels aren't necessary, but they are great barrels if you can afford them, so if you can, go for it.
    I have heard very good things about the Lonex A1 or A2 motors.

5. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Ok thanks, now which should be first on my upgrade list? Motor, barrel, and hop-up?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Hop-up, it has the largest impact. GB wise, proper shimming, and AOE are the most important. Also when you have the shell open, I recommend polishing the interior with a dremel and wire wheel, or some 00 steel wool, I use steel wool and it works great.
    Also, if it has nylon bushings, definitely upgrade to some steel ones.

7. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Thanks you've been a humongous help!

8. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Your very welcome. Anything else?

9. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Hmm what kind of spring should I get? I want it at about 390-400 fps and about 200-250 foot range.

10. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    You would need a 120, which will put you at about 395 with good compression. The calculation is simple. If you need to find out what spring will put you at what FPS simply multiply the spring weight by 3.128 and you will get your answer.
    Also, the spring doesn't really equal range. But that spring coupled with a r-hop should put you in that range.

11. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Ok awesome. Now for the big question. What is the difference between ball bearings and bushings?

12. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Well, regular bushings, and ball bearing bushings: I may be wrong on this, but this is what I know,
    Bushings typically have two pieces, the outer which sits in the hole, and the inner, which the gear sits in. The inner spins.
    With ball bearings, they usually have well, little ball bearings in them, basically acting the same way, but with those extra pieces.
    I personally like regular bushings. In my mind, if you add ball bearings to these parts, it's just something else that can go wrong.

13. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Ok thanks it's just been nagging me for like a week.

14. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Haha no problem. If you have no more questions, I wish you luck in your build.

15. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Thank you I hope to have it done right after Christmas.

16. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Doesn't the CYMA M14 take a short type motor.

17. Finalencounter

Warrenton
    Ah, I think you are right on that.
    Just looked, it does.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  18. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Ok that's good to know haha I thought I saw long type somewhere.

19. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    You're thinking of Lonex's new bushings. regular bushings are 1 solid piece.

20. UsMc-alltheway

Tampa
    Now I'm wondering what piston and piston head should I get??