Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting one of the following rifles. What are some pros and cons if you own one of them? Which one has more upgrades available? Or if there is a better option in the $350-$450 range. I would want to have a longer and shorter setup with this rifle so I would be buying a longer configuration for outdoors and running the shorter for indoor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

KWA Ronin T10
Avalon Saber Gen2
Sig Sauer MCX Virtus

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Umm none of the above...

Avalon is Elite Forces "Budget" Line. Your options for swapping is very limited here externally, that is until who you discern is the actual maker of the AEG.

KWA and the SIG being slightly different themselves as a "one" off dimensionally AEG. And having less of an option of running something else on your receiver.

You could in theory run other VFC uppers on the SIG...

Have you thought about an Arcturus for an AR variant. Most of their lines have 2-3 options for length of uppers...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Of the three, I'd go with KWA because I trust them. They tend to make solid simple 'no-nonsense' guns that last forever given the least bit of care and maintenance. They do tend to be a bit old school in their parts selection but the proof is in the pudding.

I would suggest researching this specific AEG before purchasing it however; make sure you know what in it is standard / TM spec and what's proprietary as this will become important down the road when you start looking to modify the gun internally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at the Arcturus and I feel like it is lacking over the other 3 that I listed. If interchanging barrel lengths is not available on the other 3 models I can always just look at purchasing 2 different length variations of those rifles. The bolt catch and full ambi is nice on the Arcturus which is great as I am left handed. The KWA has the electric recoil which is a feature I think I would like.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Electric recoil is more gimmick than "realistic" functionality.

ERG also have a finickier upgrade path for that recoil simulator ties into your mechbox and thus it will mitigate what you can do for changes.

As for Arcturus being lacking, your criteria isn't defined. It is definitely better than an Elite Force Avalon by a factor of 6 and it has benefits over a MCX which has a weak point in the QD mechbox.

As for varying length models that is rather limiting also...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What can I compare the trigger pull on the Arcturus to? The gearbox on the Arcturus seems to come pretty solid but how is the motor? I would plan on using it straight out of the box for a little before tinkering with it. What would be some recommended upgrades for it?

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
What do you have now to compare it to?

Motor is "fine" again, what are you comparing it to. Battery will have a major factor on capability.

Major upgrades for an AEG is skill.

All else "depends" on what you want it to do.

Most wants range, you you can keep it simple with Maple Leaf Drop in packings and nubs.

Or you can go complex with an R-Hop and it's limitations...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nearest place to me to play is indoor, so I am looking into the cqb model. I dont have any airsoft guns right now to compare to. I have tried the Avalon Calibur 2 which felt nice and crisp. I like the trigger on it being flat as my real m4 has a flat trigger in it. I also am not comparing the motor as I dont own any airsoft guns at the moment I was asking for more of a reliability stand point, are the motors in the Arcturus reliable and long lasting, or would that be one of the first things to upgrade. I would like a nice crisp response to my trigger pulls from what I have read it seams like a rifle with the mosfet in it would provide that over this spring trigger with switch. If I didnt understand that correctly please let me know. Im pretty accurate with real guns and I dont know if that would translate over to airsoft but I do also have many years in paintball and are pretty accurate with those as well. I am new into the world of airsoft so providing me with your knowledge is appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Then we have a similar background. I played a lot of paintball Splatmaster, Nelspot 007, Nightmare, Golden Eagle, Autococker...and then I jumped over to Airsoft Permanently.

No, you don't need to swap the motor.

Arcturus has a few models. The base models are have trolley triggers, but that is not a sign that it's bad. In some cases it's more durable than cheap micro switches (Some Ares)...and their ME line has the MOSFET Microswitch triggers.

What you and most other new players seem to be hooked on is the hard to define "trigger" response. You want a near instant break when you press the trigger to send a bb down range. If you play on SA fields only...this is a desired attribute. But, if you can play in FA venues...not as important.

But, the heart of what you seek is not the components of the electrical system, rather it's the drive train.

Think of a car. No matter the fancy equipment and and drive by wire is going to be of any consequence to your acceleration if your engine has no power and you provide bad gas to said engine.

Same is true for airsoft.

Trigger response is battery quality, then motor and gearing...in that order.

Any AEG will have good trigger response with a good battery. From there you can fine tune it to try and capture the last 20% of "efficiency".

Of which...any stock AEG on a 3S Lithium Battery (not all LION's though) will give you "good" trigger response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With that being said which one would you recommend, and if I went with the Arcturus I dont see any ME line for the ar15 cqb on the website. If I went with the ar15 cqb from Arcturus what would you recommend me upgrading the motor to. What would be the best battery for it? The savings between this and the other options I post would leave me with room to purchase these upgrades.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Which site are you looking at for their AEG's? The home page is not currently up to date.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Yeah, not up to date.

Use their Asia Affiliate and there will be a better representation of what is available.

Also, being that you are new to the sport let me preface and say, "American Consumerism Does Not Apply in Airsoft". This is a No Standard, buyer beware, sport/industry where there is a LOT of Marketing Propaganda.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Depending on model. Which one are you interested in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the ronin T10 SE, and although it's a nice looking gun, it's had some issues. The AOE wasn't setup correctly out the box so first day I used it the piston rack got smashed and damaged the sensors on the gate titan. It got replaced, but the second one had terrible FPS inconsistency. I ended up having to fix it myself as I couldn't get another replacement SE here in the UK. This is when I found a proprietory nozzle/tappet plate combo, which I had to get from KWA in the states as the part isn't stocked here anywhere.

It's also pretty heavy.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
The LWT is actually landing in LA.

The other two are older models and I am not sure if they will continue.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
If there is a local retail store that carry it can sell it to you.

Know of any? Want to introduce a store to the two brands of E&L and Arcturus? I'll get a spiff for you if they sign up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts