Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been online window shopping for AK mags, and one thing that caught my attention was that CYMA & LCT hi-cap AK mags have different capacities despite the mags essentially having the same external dimensions (at least as far as I can tell, anyways). For example, CYMA hi-cap AK-47/AKM mags hold 600 rounds, whereas the LCT versions only hold 550 rounds. Why is this?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The externals can be based on the same mag but unless they share an OEM the internals can be a little different. Maybe the LCT mech takes up slightly more space, has a thicker shell or more reinforcement, etc. This assuming the ratings are 'true' which is usually not the case.

edit: If you're at all interested in AK midcaps, I've been really impressed with 'BlueBox 155rds' mags, dirt cheap and so far have fit + fed well in everything I've tested.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The externals can be based on the same mag but unless they share an OEM the internals can be a little different. Maybe the LCT mech takes up slightly more space, has a thicker shell or more reinforcement, etc. This assuming the ratings are 'true' which is usually not the case.

edit: If you're at all interested in AK midcaps, I've been really impressed with 'BlueBox 155rds' mags, dirt cheap and so far have fit + fed well in everything I've tested.
Interesting theory. I've never disassembled any such mags, so I couldn't tell you.

Also, I'm intrigued by that mag you posted, but I much prefer hi-caps. People say that the pellet rattling can give you away if you're trying to be stealthy, but I've never had that issue. Also, even if they do take time to wind, I like carrying fewer mags around.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
As stated above - Different makers.

One is a Taiwan Company
One is a Chinese Company

Same thing with car companies making a Sedan...but they aren't the same.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As stated above - Different makers.

One is a Taiwan Company
One is a Chinese Company

Same thing with car companies making a Sedan...but they aren't the same.
Good point.

Somewhat off-topic, but I've tried CYMA hi-cap AK-47/AKM mags in my CYMA CM.050 AIMS, Tokyo Marui AKS-47 and E&L MPi-KM-72, and all three guns took them with no issue. However, one video I watched said that LCT AKs wouldn't feed properly with CYMA mags.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Yep...LCT tabs slots are much thinner or CYMA mag tabs are too thick.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
For durability?

It's okay...there has yet to be a LCT torture test that shows it surviving any "major" level of abuse....

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Not sure about durability but for beauty LCT is king. Their AK-74 with wood furniture is gorgeous. It's the only AK I've seen that has a mix of red in the color. I had one, sold it, regretted selling it and found another used one and couldn't resist. They perform decently stock as well.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Have you not seen an E&L?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
For durability?

It's okay...there has yet to be a LCT torture test that shows it surviving any "major" level of abuse....
Ooooh this sounds like a challenge…

Maybe I’m just an LCT fanboy but I think they’re right on par in terms of build quality. E&L gets the edge because of their price point. But this is just my opinion, as I can’t exactly pinpoint why I prefer an LCT to an E&L.

And since we’re on the topic of AK mags, thanks to you I’ll probably never run anything other than D-Day mags again. Best mags on the current market by far.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
The Gunfire test is the Gold Standard. No one has posted a video of an LCT taking that level abuse and still remaining functional.

That is mainly due to one thing.

Taiwan Airsoft Steel versus Chinese Gun Steel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting back to the topic of mags, someone, somewhere (don't ask me where) said that CYMA AK-74 mags wouldn't work with E&L AK-74s, so I bought both a CYMA and LCT hi-cap AK-74 mag for my E&L AKS-74U. Contrary to what I read, both mags fed fine. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who owns or plans to get an E&L AK-74.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Details please.

Which CYMA mag?

Is it the PMAG variant? Steel?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Details please.

Which CYMA mag?

Is it the PMAG variant? Steel?
I don't even know what a PMAG is; it was just a basic AK-74 500-round hi-cap mag with the typical winding wheel mechanism found on pretty much every other hi-cap mag.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
It's that "waffle" style made from Magpul.

Trigger Air gun Outdoor recreation Machine gun Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts