Why do people not like black gear?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by tylerh1298, Sep 16, 2015.

1. tylerh1298

tylerh1298 Member

Longview
    Hello, I am trying to get a consensus opinion on why the general airsoft community doesn't like black gear. I personally think that black would go great with an OD/M81/AOR2 combat set. I think that because if you are hiding in brush or bushes, black is going to be a lot harder to spot than CB/Tan gear. What are your opinions?

2. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    In the brush black stands out like a sore thumb. Everyone seems to think that they become Ninjas when they put on black. If its just a drop leg holster or a helmet, maybe. But a vest might as well be blaze orange.

I've had guys step within 5 feet of me and not see me, when I'm wearing my flecktarn. Its movement that gives most people away. And black does not occur naturally, so your eyes pick it up quickly as being out of place, even when not moving. But even slow movement in black is easier to see than just about any camo (designed for the environment).

3. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

Black is the easiest colour to spot, especially in bushes. Everything in a natural environment isn't as dark as black clothing. That's why it's a stupid colour to have, it just doesn't camouflage.

Tan coloured gear however does properly conceal you. Look around in a forest. You'll think ''hey, it's green'', but most parts of the forest aren't green. The most part is brown, and that part isn't as noticeable. So ask yourself: do you want to be hidden in the background (tan coloured), foreground (green coloured) or not at all (black coloured)?

4. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    it stands out, it gets much more sun than other colours so you are sweating pinballs, you dont look 133t or tactik00l as you think you do

5. Sillypancake

Sillypancake New Member

Kansas City
    As people have already stated, black is a terrible color for outdoor play. For cqb, I don't see why not, especially if the walls are painted black.

Experienced airsoft snipers always put some sort of killflash over the front lens of their scope. This is to prevent the black hole effect, which can give away your position even if the rest of your body is concealed.

6. Jefzwang

Jefzwang Member

Los Angeles
    It's hot and it's useless.

The first one's self-explanatory. Black absorbs the most heat of any colour. That's why the inside of a black car left in the sun is going to be hotter than the inside of a white car.

As for the second, it has practically no camouflage properties. No, not even at night, because unless you are literally in a pitch-black environment there will be some light, and you will be better off with shades of a colour (like dark green, or dark blue) than pure black. Obviously it's next to useless in the day, because black really stands out against other things.

You probably think that black over camo will help blend in more than CB over camo because the black will simulate shadows, right? Except camouflage is generally already designed with that in mind (that's why, say, woodland MARPAT actually contains black), so what your black gear does is exactly the opposite - it provides a hard, unnatural break in your camouflage. Tan gear means your gear doesn't differ too much from your camo - therefore, there are no unnatural breaks that catch the eye.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    There's logic and reality. Logically one would think that because shadows are dark and night is dark that adding more dark would allow you to blend in incredibly easily. The only issue is that logic is not always correct. Think of it as trying to blend in TOO much, as in you put so much effort in blending in you fail to notice and take into account the inconsistencies and errors, if you will.
    I'll spare you the in depth science mumbo jumbo and simply say that in reality, the better colors to have in the dark would be a dark blue, purple or, believe it or not, pink.
    Long story short, because in the dark we're LOOKING for shadows and outlines to make out objects, black creates those shadows allowing you to make things out far easier because in reality, the darkness you see is more like a super deep blue rather than black. I wish for the life of me I could find the article going DEEP in depth with this, but I can't. But a flat pink is the best camo to wear in the dark.
    If I remember, the article made reference of the British tanks being a shade of pink during WW2

But night ops aside, black isn't a camo, so wearing a solid color and hiding in bushes won't help you, especially black which in sunlight does stick out quite well. But you will notice there are dark camos such as Marpat that honestly work quite well in the wetlands and Marshlands of S FL.

-mobile device-

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. Sillypancake

Sillypancake New Member

Kansas City
    Pink tanks in WW2?!?!? Why haven't I been taught this in history class :mad:

9. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    I have a set of night time BDU's that I will wear if I'm not wearing my fleck. Its 3 shades of blue with 3 shades of gray. Really nice cammo. Looks stupid during the day, but at night, you are pretty much invisible, except your face, which would need to be cammo'd similar as the shine from oils on your skin will give you away.

10. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    To be fair it was a pink-tan-grey mix. But the fact remains, black at night is not the best course of action if you're desiring to take full advantage of the darkness.

Buddy of mine has what we jokingly cally Barney camo. It's purple, grey, blue. Truth be told, I'd love a set for myself but can never find them in my size.

-mobile device-