Why don't this battery work?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by yomama360, May 23, 2009.

1. yomama360

yomama360 New Member

Ok, I have 2 batteries for the same gun. One is old, but worked fine a few weeks ago. Today it would not even cycle the motor to fire the gun. This was 1 day after a full charge. Why won't the old battery work?

What it aint:
    It aint the gun. The new battery works the gun just fine. I also tried both on a different gun and same result.

It aint the charge. I hooked it up to a voltmeter and it's kicking out 9.0 volts just like the newer battery.

It aint the battery wires or the connection or the voltmeter wouldn't register anything.

What I don't think it is, but my be:
    Older batteries loose juice over time, but on my voltmeter I have a BATT option that is intended to measure the juice left in like a 1.5 AA or a 9volt. I figure The 9v setting would give a ballpark idea. On the old (non-working) battery it reads the same level as the good battery after a charge. In fact the new battery that was firing the gun reads a lot lower since I was playing airsoft with it all morning, but that one still fires the gun.

Other symptoms. When plugged into the gun, I can hear a little click or a strain on the motor when I first pull the trigger, so I assume its doing something, or trying to do something.

Info: Both the good and bad battery are rated at 9v (7 x 1.2v) Both are NiMH and 2/3A. The bad battery is old and 1100mAh the good one is 1500mAh

Anyone have this before? Any clues?

All I can think is that it's old and time to retire... but why would is still kick out 9v and show plenty juice on the BATT setting?

Thanks,
    Yo

2. Tacticalairninja

Tacticalairninja New Member

Salt Lake City
    ok, the battery was overcharged... it will still release volts into the voltmeter but when hooked up to something that draws power in bigger amounts it will stop completely... I am sad to say that your battery went into a battery coma... And will most likely never work again

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    Volts don't make your motor spin, Amps do.

Your old battery has simply lost its will to live. Recycle it and get another one.

4. yomama360

yomama360 New Member

I thought Amps were a measurement of how much volts was passing through a given point at a given time (aka. "current"). If so, then volts DO make the motor spin, and amps are a measurement of the cost of that action.

At any rate, I think you are right that it's pretty much game over for this battery. I've been pretty careful not to overcharge, but I just have a wall-plug-in-charger and an alarm clock to know when to pull it out. I have heard about the thing Tacticalairninja was talking about with the bigger draw on a heavy load.

On that note, does anyone know how to measure how much "life" is left in a rechargeable battery?

Thanks

5. Tacticalairninja

Tacticalairninja New Member

Salt Lake City
    No real way to do that, as all the factors are coming from how long you charge it, and how much usage it gets... But as I said, Your battery went into a battery coma

6. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    You are close. An amp is the amount of current passing through a particular point in the circuit.

Volts are the difference in potential between the positive and negative poles of the battery.

7. yomama360

yomama360 New Member

Darn, so my battery is out of amps then? I should find a voltmeter that can read amps so I can determine which batteries are still good or not.

Thanks for the tips!