Why Handguard system over RIS

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by masterpro72, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

So, I have recently discovered that Handguard/Delta Ring System is alot more efficient on a RIS system on an M4. How is this so?

1. If wired to front: More options for stock customization.
    2. If wired to back: Extra space to use for carrying anything you need such as: Tools for Field stripping, Speed loaders, Etc.
    3. Either way: You can customize hadguard styles and even attach a RIS system to the delta ring on the Handguard style Barrel assembly. You can also use Magpul or many other types and customization that are alot cheaper and easier to replace. It's also alot easier to remove the front assembly on a Handguard system then on many RIS systems I've seen.

I am personally making a switch over from RIS to Handguards.

Any further comments, questions, or thoughts?

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    I see your points, but at the same time I disagree with them. I don't know what you need to carry in a handguard that wont fit in a vest, pack, or other load bearing equipment.

Some rails can still mount batteries such as madbulls mk18 type rail.

The delta ring spring is also a problem with some rifles. My buddy would be running around hit the delta ring and his hand guards and battery went flying everywhere.

The thing hand guards had over rails were ergonomics, well new rails like the URX III have improved rail functionality.

I see nothing that hand guards have over rails for functionality, other then battery space which is easy to solve.

3. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Ahh, Battery space. I am actually using a rear wired system so I also won't have my battery flying everywhere. If you dislike the delta ring, You can actually buy better ones. Handguards are also cheaper and easier to replace than rails (Just incase you mess yours up). Like I also said, You can get RIS that go on like a hanguard. Much more simple right? It's definetely better on a G&G Rail vs. HandGuard. G&G rails need alot of screws to be removed in order to replace it. While HandGuards need no screws removed in order to replace it.

4. TheBlazinAsian

TheBlazinAsian New Member

Like deathmechanic said, what can't you put in a plate carrier or tactical gear that can fit in a stock?

I personally prefer rails.... if your gun is wired to the front, use a PEQ box. I personally use this setup. Its simple and easy.

You also lose the customizability of an M4. You can't really attach anything to a handuard. So I really see no advantages in using a hanguard over a RIS.

But then again, shooting all comes down to personal preference for feel

5. Itsahak

Itsahak Member

I have little to no use for rails. I don't run PEQ boxes, lasers, or foregrips. I use the American Built Arms LTF handguard with a 5 slot rail rail at the 1 o'clock position. I attach my white light there. I use the same set up on my patrol rifle for work...

6. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Actually, You can. Because I am referring to the Delta-Ring part mostly, You can easily buy a RIS System to go on with the Handguard/Delta Ring system. You can also attach rails to the top and bottom of the average hadguard. And on Magpul handguards, you can attach them to the Top, Bottom, Sides, and Corners of the Handguard. All of this gives you the ability to decide how many rails you want. While on Other RIS systems, You can't really decide how many you want unless you use rail covers which still has all of that extra unusable space inside the RIS.

I don't really like PEQ though because they take up too much extra space. (I Like alot of space)
    Thanks for your opinion.

7. deathmechanic

Davis
    With a lot of rails nowadays you can choose how much railing you do and don't want. Traditional rails might be a single piece but there are plenty of new rails that allow you to choose the amount of rails or unrailed space you want.

PEQs such as a 15 don't take up much space at all. Now if you are a scrub and using Nimh or nicad batteries in a PEQ2 then yes I can see your issue.

Example of a newer styled rail and how a PEQ15 doesn't take up that much room.

[​IMG]

8. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

It seems as if this is more of an opinion thread. I will however say, If you want garaunteed most space possible and easy disassembly, Get handguards. Nice gun.

9. deathmechanic

Davis
    Guaranteed space and easy dis-assembly for what purpose? For your hands, tools, mounting space, etc? No I'm sorry hand guards don't give you more space for any such things except for tools. Which if you are hiding tools or anything in your hand guard other then a battery I'm going to question your well being. Ease of dis-assembly not really the KAC rails mounts the same way as hand guards do for ease of drop in, so technically ones not easier then the other.

The opinion is which people like which style better. Not which one is better which is what you are trying todo.

Your beginning post also makes me feel like we are stuck in the 90's with 10.8v and 12v batteries. We have moved on to small lipos that fit in the stock pipe, so you are allowed run 90% of most stocks on the market today while still running a rail.

10. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I know what your saying. But, All of the things you can do with handguard/delta-ring is somewhat more than what you can do with RIS systems. It's also easier to replace and cheaper.

11. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    I've never broken a RIS system or handguards, don't smash your gun.

12. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

Oh. My. Lord. That gun you posted is beautiful, it even has a T1 and everything (my favorite optic).

13. deathmechanic

Davis
    Nah, replacing a plasticy hand guard is cheaper then replacing a aluminum rail imagine that!

Im still trying to figure out what more you can do with a hand guard than with a rail.....

14. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Not because of them breaking. I have tryed to paint one before and messed it up. It needed replacing.

15. deathmechanic

Davis
    How does painting a rail mess it up? Its pretty easy to strip the paint of your rail.....

16. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

More styles, low prices, ability to mount rails on the handguard, even some with alluminum on the inside. Magpul ones can mount rails on Top, Bottom, Sides, and Corners. Regular ones can have mounted rails on top and bottom. Or, You can buy one with Top, Bottom, and Sides. Or, If you don't like rails because you don't need attachments, You can have some without. I am not saying I dislike rails. I just think handguards are better.

Edit: You cant strip it off when you use spray paint and really mess up bad like I have before.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  17. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Not trying to threadjack, but I'm sure that I speak for many people. What rail system is that? It's beautiful ._.

18. deathmechanic

Davis
    [​IMG]

URX III rail by KAC. BTW not my pictures.

Pretty sure there are a lot more styles of rails then hand guards btw.

19. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Using rails (a) looks tacticool, and (b) lets you use a PEQ box which (c) looks even more tacticool.

20. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

PEQ boxs are only tactical when they have lasers from my POV. Like I also said, you can mount rails on handguards. But, I really doubt it looks that tactical when you have nothing on them. I'm still thinking there are more styles of handguards that actually look different. Most all rails look alike. 20mm. four sides of rail space. What's new? They came out with a Daniel Defense rail system. Four sides, 20mm, black. What's new? I like handguards also because I never have any use for rails and if I ever do, I can easily mount some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.