Will micro switch MOSFET fit in regular V2 gearbox?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Andydabeast, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    I like the idea of a shorter trigger pull pressing a button instead of the traditional trigger. I'm only going to buy a MOSFET once and I don't want to spend over $50. Enter Jefftron switch brake. So my questions:
    1. Can a microswitch fit in a standard V2 gearbox that didn't come with a microswitch?
    2. If so do I also need to buy a new trigger?
    3. In the chart it says it does not have low battery indicator but does say lipo ready. Would it keep firing till the lipo is drained?

https://www.evike.com/products/10378/

2. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

There's a thread on this MOSFET controller from late last year
    https://www.airsoftsociety.com/threads/jefftron-switch-brake-mosfet.161909/

[​IMG]
    This product replaces the microswitch in the gearbox, if your gearbox is a Marui style one then you cannot use this.

Jefftron's website is LOL as usual and won't load for me so I cannot verify specs but Evike and Black Blitz both have the same 'feature' listed
    upload_2021-9-17_15-48-40.png
    Active braking applies reverse voltage to the motor to decelerate it. Passive braking is what they are describing, which uses the spinning motor as a generator and placing large electrical load across the terminals.

3. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    I actually did read that post. I didn't know that Tokyo mauri style was the name of the regular style.
    So my shell is not compatible. Dang. Are there replacement mauri trigger switches I can drop in that have shorter pull made for use with a MOSFET? Or are they all the same?

4. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    Top of my budget but would this give me any advantage over just getting a traditional MOSFET that sits on the stock and wiring it myself?
    Also question number three still applies.
    https://www.evike.com/products/10376/

5. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Tokyo Marui originally designed the 'standard versions' of gearboxes used in the vast majority of AEGs, most designs are based on the Marui but with innovations of their own to attempt to fix problems that only crop up once inferior materials are used to build gearbox shells, and/or for durability seeing as how Japan limits power output to 1J (328fps 0.20g) or so.

There is none, this product is a 'traditional MOSFET' with active braking but instead of sitting in the stock it sits on the trigger components. Great if you have a lack of space for battery, not so great for ease of access/servicing and convective heat dissipation.

Personally I am a fan of Gate products, I usually go with a Gate NanoAAB wired outside of the gearbox in my commissioned builds if there isn't a lack of space. If you need more features then the WarFET is also good but it is also quickly approaching ETU price territory

It's just a marketing point that all models that can handle 4s lipo which has a resting voltage of 16.8v when fully charged. Whether you run it on that high a voltage is up to you, and whether or not your AEG can handle that high a voltage is none of Jefftron's concern.

Per the user manual, maximum voltage for the Jefftron Leviathan is 17v. The Leviathan manual also states that Low Battery Indication is a motor buzz after each shot, and a buzz instead of a shot when the voltage is low enough. Technically this is not the same as low voltage cutoff since the Leviathan never cuts power entirely like a LVC should.

The other non-computerized MOSFET controllers lack this feature, and you can overdischarge your battery with continued usage. That being said, it is quite obvious when lipos are nearing the end of their useable charge so this really isn't a problem in practice.

6. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I was messing around the other day with building a custom mosfet/micro switch system that I could put in a standard v2 gearbox, but I gave up after realizing my 3034s wouldn't fit very well. Plus, what's the point when Gate Titans provide so many features?

7. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    Ok, good info, thanks. The low voltage thing is what's scaring me away from lipos. If it's easy to tell when it's low then I won't pay extra for a MOSFET with that feature.

What's the point is cost. Let me know if you figure it out. Some of these MOSFETs are quite small.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    And in the case with a TM Type mechbox. One just can't put a box 'shape" in a channel that was made for a trolley that requires a post to operate.

9. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Swapping either way requires substantial modifications. Including removing or adding support pins and maybe some milling for fitment, and you'd need the right trigger to work with it.

Definitely high risk of messing up.

10. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    Definitely high risk. Of course that is true of most mods you can do to a gearbox.

11. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I really don't know where it came from in this day and age where people think it's just drop in fitment for swapping parts.

It hasn't been like that for 17 years...and with each passing year since that time, another .6% variance develops...

12. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    There are only two truly drop in "upgrades": batteries and motor. And depending on the situation, they may not be drop in.

13. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    Spring (within reason)? Properly ported cylinder? Better hop up rubber or bucking or whatever? Inner barrel?

14. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    No. These upgrades usually require more modding then they claim.

15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Spring, only on a 1 level change and it the spring is of a good manufacture. Most people get surprised by the Soft springs in the industry.

Most AEG's have matched cylinders. Swapping to another is of really no help and if you get one of the wrong ID...you will have issues.

OA has hop-up covered.

Many stock inner barrels are of a higher quality that 80% of the barrels sold on the market...

16. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey New Member

Auckland
    So you are saying that in most or all cases people have to do modification to replace spring from 90 to 110 or 120, change inner barrel, or replace hopup, or install volume matched cylinder.

17. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    When I have been modding for 2 months, not 17 years, and a part says it's for a V2 gearbox, and I have a V2 gearbox. That's where it came from. I just have the brains to check with you pros before buying something.

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Sorry, that is not direction I was trying to steer the inquiry.

I always run into people that "think" that you can just buy a part for a V2 and it will work in "any" V2. Some parts would be correct in this assumption, but many parts are proving not to be true.

So, what I am trying to gather is...where are you hearing/reading/being told that you can just "easily find a replacement part for that..." item.

Is it via a small store associate? From reading a post on an item from 8 years ago...or from someone that may have done it before?

19. Andydabeast

Andydabeast New Member

Baltimore
    I research things before I buy. Especially when I am new to it. I have seen videos of guns with an extremely short trigger pull, discovered they are called microswitches, went to evike to see what they cost and if they are for V2 gearbox. I didn't need any hand holding to have this assumption. Anyone with a brain coming fresh into airsoft would assume that if a part is for a V2 gearbox and they have a V2 gearbox that they can use that part. It's common sense. Wrong common sense, but logical to assume from a noob perspective.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying that there is a branding problem that makes things confusing for new builders. This is why I research things before I dive in.

20. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

These days a lot of mosfet boards dont even have switches as switches fail. They use optical detection or even magnetic.

When it comes to triggers inside typical version 2 guns you have the Tokyo Marui spec, then the oddball ones that are more proprietary. Some have proprietary mosfet boards that will just burn out a few months later. The jefferson one is the only one I've seen as aftermarket for a oddball proprietary trigger like that.

When buying a aeg I want to know what is in the gearbox before I pay for it. Because I don't want to end up with something that can't be fixed or tuned down the road.

You can also do a hair trigger mod to a standard tokyo marui based trigger contacts/trolley. I made a whole walk through guide on how to do it. However I doubt anyone can even do it properly unless they have done tech work for years, it takes so much attention to detail, which is why just paying money for a trigger mosfet board is so much easier.

This is a mechanical hair trigger.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CT-BMaxLlnA/?utm_medium=copy_link