Wont shoot and makes grinding sound

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Kratz23, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

It makes a grinding sound whenever I pull the trigger and doesn't fire, I tried shimming gears , I tried adjusting the motor, the teeth are fine, no damage, plz help

2. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Are you sure none of the gears are stripped? That's what it seems like. What gun do you have? Also make sure to check the piston, you may have stripped the teeth.

3. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    Well if there's a grinding noise I dont think anything (while still possible) may be stripped. Are you sure it's shimmed properly. If you say you adjusted the motor properly you can rule that out. Are you being sure to set the sector at 1 o-clock when you reassemble it?

4. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    I don't think I can completely agree with that. One of my friends had a similar problem, and it turned out the sector gear was stripped.

5. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

Wait which gear is the sector gear, I don't think I checked that

6. Tornado-Airsoft

Tornado-Airsoft New Member

Yep most likely one of your gears.

7. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

I just don't know the names of the gears, I already fixed them, it's still grinding, this is a new gun too

8. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    Picture is worth a thousand words.

9. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    I'll ask again, what gun is it? You didn't necessarily strip the Sector gear, that was just my friend's case. It can be multiple things.

10. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

I can't show a picture of it grinding, and it's a lancer tactical gearbox

11. bal1

bal1 New Member

Your motor may not be able to pull your spring, did you increase your spring?

12. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    You could take a picture of all the gears and how they are positioned in a half gearbox.

13. RedSofters

RedSofters New Member

Ronkonkoma
    I've actually had the same problem. Make sure your teeth on your gears line up with your pistons teeth and that your piston is in the right place. If they're misaligned, the gears will just spin not making contact with the piston and that's the sound you're hearing.

14. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

Redsofters:

That's what I thought was the problem because nothing else has worked
    And I did change the spring, but it worked for like the first day, than I put the metal Boston and that's when it didnt work because I tried to silence the gun by shimming

15. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    Boston?

And if the gun won't work after shimming, it most likely is that.

Once again, pictures would help.

Lastly, what size spring did you put in, and what motor is in the gun? It could also just be motor noise, although most likely not.

16. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

Hold on, ok so I tried adjusting the motor again and it didnt work. So I started to unscrew the screws on the gearboxes and directly after the last screw was unscrewed, the gearbox popped off a shot, like the air nozzle and the spring, all that up top went off, can that help with a solution?

17. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

Ok so I posted these photos but they might be a bit fuzzy.

Attached Files:

18. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

Just one question, when shimming, I put the gears in the other half of the cover, after I shim them in that do I have to shim them in the other cover, like wht is the best way to shim

19. Pyronius

Pyronius New Member

Pleasant View
    I'm sure you've already noticed this and this isn't the problem but in the picture the spring isn't on the ARL.

20. Kratz23

Kratz23 New Member

The spring came off when I opened the gearbox, I know about it, but I still can't fix my gearbox, I seriously need help, I've been working on it for 7 months, and still don't know what the problem is