Your Thoughts on Pistol Lanyards

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by BravoZulu, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BravoZulu

BravoZulu New Member

Hey guys. I see a lot of people running pistol lanyards, and others tend to go without them for their own reasons. I'm contemplating getting one, but I'm rather short (5'4ish), so I feel like even if I got a lanyard and mounted it on my belt, it wouldn't help unless it were short as well. What're your thoughts on the things? Useful? Waste of cash?

2. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

3. Sharp

Sharp Member

Waukesha
    I had a lanyard, then I stopped using it. I'm about your size OP and it didn't work very well, I'd have to wrap the cord around my belt a few times to keep it short enough. When I did run it I never saw much use. My SERPA keeps my pistol locked in nice and tight and so there really wasn't much of a point.

It was more of a hindrance since I'd leave it on a table with the lanyard on and then turn around to talk to a friend and it'd whip around. Maybe I just suck at using them but I've never found them to be a worthy investment.

4. BravoZulu

BravoZulu New Member

Those are my main concerns, sniperfifer. My current vest is a OE Tech Crossdraw, and the holster I run my handgun in likes to let my handgun go crashing to the ground, even after secure fastening. Now the sight is off-alignment, among things.

Edit: JakeBWorth thanks for linking the other thread, by the way.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  5. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    The solution to your problem isn't a lanyard. You need a better holster solution and a better vest. Get something Kydex with a trigger guard latch or a secure thumb break. Run it as a drop leg or if you really want it on your vest, mount it on your chest.

Crossdraws are terrible for a number of reasons, pistol retention being just one of many. Read my post here to learn about the others:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f38/crossdraw-vests-43876/