ZCI vs Core 13:1 Gearset

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TheBlazinAsian, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TheBlazinAsian

TheBlazinAsian New Member

2. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    You shouldn't use a high speed motor. I see no need for them in any well done build. If you at running 13:1 with a 30rps+ set up I would advise using a heavier spring and short-stroking down to you desired fps. I would also advise picking up a Lonex A2 or a JG Blue. For the piston I would advise picking up one of the pre-lightened Lonex reds form mystery's website (hivemindairsoft). If they are out of stock you can still PM him and he will send one your way.

3. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

...You didn't answer his question. I'll give you credit for telling him to pick up a different motor though.

It seems like these days you just have to get lucky with gears that aren't made by Siegetek, G&G, JG, or RiotSC (Which I believe RiotSC gears have been discontinued). Ben (the owner of Clandestine) has been getting good feedback with ZCI gears, so I would recommend those first.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Thanks for the shout out Surfer.

Just a FYI, Siegetek's and RiotSC's are the same. The "SC" in RiotSC stands for Siegetek Concepts. :p

5. schmidty

schmidty New Member

Washington D.C.
    I would like to attest to hivemind airsoft's legitimacy. The swiss-cheesing on the piston I got is amazing and the short stroked piston my friend ordered had the cleanest short stroking I've ever seen.

My friend just got some core gears, they're in my basement ATM waiting to go into his gun. They haven't been used yet, but seem to not have come with any glaring faults from the factory.

6. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a semi-related question that might even be of interest to the OP. Do any of you have experience with the brand Military Action? Airsoft Park are selling gears from that brand. Are they just regular SHS rebrands or are they a viable alternative?

7. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    sorry for the thread revive guys but I noticed that there are PLENTY of ZCI gears still in stock at clandestineairsoft.com and all the other seem to be sold out. Are ZCI less reliable? Or did Ben re-stock them first because they are more reliable?

8. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    I'm fairly certain there were a bunch of issues with them.

Again, hate to revive, but I disagree with surfer's stance on high speed motors. While I rarely use them, I do recognize that they have a purpose, especially in builds <M140.

9. Blades

Blades New Member

There was, as you probably know Ben has been checking the newer batches now and they have improved.

10. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    That's what I've heard.

11. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Are they worth it though? Or should I just wait for the core gears to come back in stock?

12. Blades

Blades New Member

I bought ZCI gears, wait a couple more days and I'll take pictures/give you a quality rundown compared to XYT's.

13. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Alright. Thank you very much :).

14. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    *snore* so does that mean

A: You haven't sent your gun to me
    B: You will run them on M140+ full stroke to actually test?

15. Blades

Blades New Member

<^> (-.-)
    A. IT HAAS VEEN SENT.
    B. VUT TEST? Your unnecessary comment is unnecessary; you know I would only perform a visual test. For all we know, they could be the same as XYT's... What happens in China stays in China.

16. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Lol, a visual test of gears. I thought you were sending me 13:1s as well as the motor? It's cool if you're not but I'd like to know for personal builds.

17. Blades

Blades New Member

They aren't in the box, so no, sorry. You don't need to belittle my opinion, I'll test the quality as well.

18. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Chill- I'm not belittling anything. Unless they break a real test can't be done of gears. If you were planning on running G&P gears, sending the ZCIs my way might be a good idea.

19. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    THREAD REVIVE! So this is what I know as of right now:

-The NEWEST generation (gen 3) of ZCI gears seem promising. Only reported problems so far seem to be the bevel shaft slipping.

-I still know nothing about the Core's quality :(

-The NEWEST gen of SHS gears seem almost identicle to the previous ones. Same bevel problem apparently (teeth strip too easily). This is a cording to Ehud.

-Lefse has had some luck with AF gears. However I would ask him if they completed his testing yet, as I don't know.

20. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have an update on AF gears, they seem to randomly rebrand other gear brands. The second set of AF gears that I bought were actually ZCI gears. They do have the steel collar on the sector instead of the brass one, so hopefully they'll hold up well. Will use them to pull an M150 spring in a DMR build, so that should definitely test their strength. I'll receive a set of SHS 14:1 ratio gears next week, the fancy bearing ones, will chime in on my impression of those.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013