Airsoft Forum banner
121 - 140 of 356 Posts

· Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Well, if you do, drop me a smiley face or something. You'll recognize me first, like as not. Who was it that was getting custom magnets again?
Will do.
Peeque is looking into it.

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
Epoxy the hardcase to some cutoff carry handle that has the thumb screws
I'm thinking something like this or this, and then just filing down the picatinny part...thoughts? Not sure how well it'll handle torsional stress..

· Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Looks like I might go without a PEQ for the SOB2 after all: Gens Ace 4200 2s 60c hardcase. Just need to decide on how to mount it to the RIS. Also considering sticking a Jefftron in the SOB2 as well.
The Jefftron is interesting, but it says
"- Designed for spring M180 and ROF 25bb/s. "
What if I went with an SP110 and 30 RPS?

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
The Jefftron is interesting, but it says
"- Designed for spring M180 and ROF 25bb/s. "
What if I went with an SP110 and 30 RPS?
Then it would be fine. The Jefftron has increasingly gotten better and better, to the point where I'm actually willing to trust it in one of my primaries [and a DSG no less]. If it does fail, I get research knowledge, and if not, I've got a schuae BTC knock-off.
3d printed adapter!
You offering?

· Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Then it would be fine. The Jefftron has increasingly gotten better and better, to the point where I'm actually willing to trust it in one of my primaries [and a DSG no less]. If it does fail, I get research knowledge, and if not, I've got a schuae BTC knock-off.
I might get one then for, you know, the "secret gun";). It would be 12:1, 16tpa and SP110 or 120(-2 teeth), with RPS reduced to 25-30.
If I had an FLT bushing for every time you said that, I could replace all the bushings in my guns:p

So do you have the G&P Magpul receivers yet?

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I might get one then for, you know, the "secret gun";). It would be 12:1, 16tpa and SP110 or 120(-2 teeth), with RPS reduced to 25-30.
I knew about the 12:1... didn't know about the rest of it though. Thought you were going with a torquier motor in favor of a stronger battery. Interesting.
If I had an FLT bushing for every time you said that, I could replace all the bushings in my guns:p
Well, you have to admit that would be pretty schuae..
So do you have the G&P Magpul receivers yet?
Yeah, I've had it for awhile. I'm collecting the parts for it, slowly but surely.

· Premium Member
2,917 Posts
I knew about the 12:1... didn't know about the rest of it though. Thought you were going with a torquier motor in favor of a stronger battery. Interesting.
I've had several possible ideas, but I think that's what I'll go with. All will be revealed soon...
Well, you have to admit that would be pretty schuae..
Indeed it would.

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Bumper Automotive exterior Font Wood Auto part

Base mail thought it'd be funny to hold onto my mail for a week, but I finally got that shipment from Brill!

I've come to realize that air-nozzles are sort of a personal pet peeve of mine... Why? Well....
Gas Cylinder Metal Aluminium Nickel

Yeah. Can't stand the grody stock ones lol. They're essentially identical in length(@BOA_SP3CT3R ), though the RA nozzle is noticeably tighter on the stock CH, and the air hole on the stock nozzle is larger (making me wonder how much the position of the BB in the bucking will be affected).

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
DSG time! @LegacyAirsoft , I'd appreciate it a lot if you could point out anything I'm doing wrong lol. Current build list for the SOB2 is:

-Lonex V2 CH
-RA 21.4 aluminium o-ring airnozzle
-Stock MP5k cylinder, brass
-Cyma FMR piston
-Guarder SP140 non-linear spring
-Stock BB spring guide
-SHS 8tooth DSG [she's pretty:)]
-Cyma 7mm bearings, packed[plan to replace with FLT 7mm if and/or when I break them]
-Cyma tappet, trimmed to 10mm?
-stock 18:1 bevel & step/spur gears
-E1 blue motor [22tpa neo]
-Jefftron V3 processor mosfet, set to ROF reduction or 2rd burst
-Gens Ace 2s 60c 4000mAh hardcase
-PDI 6.01 141mm tbb

Target fps is 320 or less @ 25rps[if I decide to keep it full auto. If I go with burst instead, I'll leave the ROF reduction out of it].

DSG finally got here... definitely better machining than 10 yr. old E1 gears lol. In other news, got a new phone... better pic quality for sure. I'm just bad at taking pictures XP!
Automotive tire Font Gear Rim Automotive wheel system

Stock CH vs. Lonex CH... It's getting perfect cylinder to cylinder head compression, as opposed to the entire absence of compression I had with the stock cylinder head. That's something I noticed with both of the SOB's... their stock cylinder heads are always crap irt compression, and they have about the thinnest rubber pad I've ever seen. Not sure if it's gonna cause any problems with the Lonex having a shorter outlet [can't remember what it's called lol. The thingy the air nozzle sits on].
Circuit component Wood Gas Automotive tire Electric blue

Most of the bits in place:
Bicycle part Gas Machine Engineering Cylinder

This pic's a bit grainy, but you can hopefully see that the AOE is way off, and that I'm definitely gonna need to remove teeth. Looks like I'll be buying an airpad! [...and possibly a dremel...]
Gas Automotive tire Metal Auto part Electric blue

· Registered
598 Posts
DSG time! @LegacyAirsoft , I'd appreciate it a lot if you could point out anything I'm doing wrong lol.
Yeah - don't use the plastic piston - kidding
I know you was just using the plastic stock one to test for AoE
and you are using a Cyma metal rack one instead
(without heavy metal spacer, use m3 nylon lock nut it comes down to 20gms instead 27gms)

Teeth cutting on Cyma piston - jeez they are tough to remove 2nd & trim 3rd
seem a bit tougher than other racks
if you remove the last 8 teeth it will be a bit of grinding but save 1gms
I know you will epoxy the rack in there - must do
the other side has tiny tiny little teeth bumps and these little dots retain the rack
on the other side, other side has a longer groove to retain rack
but other side just these small bumps/teeth - little solid material actually holding rack
so ensure it is well epoxied in there
yeah you WILL need a dremel or cheapo clone type
see if they sell a kit with a flex attachment, that way you have the flex extension
lot easier to work with on intricate stuff

if you use cheapo wafer thin cutting discs and they keep breaking (wear eye pro ffs)
then use 2 x cheapo cutting discs together - works/last much longer
trust me, unless you drop your rotary dremel/grinder they rarely will break up grinding

props to Pete at AK2M4 for DSG
bummer you had pay about £12 for shipping
But a good little one man show run by a top bloke in UK

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Yeah - don't use the plastic piston - kidding....I know you was just using the plastic stock one to test for AoE, and you are using a Cyma metal rack one instead
That's actually the FMR in the picture... AOE on the stock piston was fine surprisingly.
....heavy metal spacer, use m3 nylon lock nut it comes down to 20gms instead 27gms...
Yup, one of the first things on my list!
Teeth cutting on Cyma piston....are tough to remove.... seem a bit tougher than other racks
yeah you WILL need a dremel or cheapo clone type see if they sell a kit with a flex attachment, that way you have the flex extension lot easier to work with on intricate stuff
So that file kit isn't a good idea... darn. Last time I did this I used a dremel, but I still need to find someone out here who has one..
if you remove the last 8 teeth it will be a bit of grinding but save 1gms
Honestly, I'm probably not gonna SS the piston, unless I need more weight reduction. @Lefse d'you think I'll need it under 20g? I'm not letting her get over 40rps..

· Registered
598 Posts
That's actually the FMR in the picture... AOE on the stock piston was fine surprisingly.

Yup, one of the first things on my list!

So that file kit isn't a good idea... darn. Last time I did this I used a dremel, but I still need to find someone out here who has one..

Honestly, I'm probably not gonna SS the piston, unless I need more weight reduction. @Lefse d'you think I'll need it under 20g? I'm not letting her get over 40rps..
OOOppppppssss

I can just see the metal rack behind them tiny teeth bumps I spoke about
(note to self - look before you speak)

Removing the last 8 unwanted teeth takes a bit of work grinding and filing
tbh is only if you are really desperate
piston weighs 16gms jusy over on its own is only about 0.3gms heavier than std shs blue
you can Swiss the piston and save between 10% to 20% depending how nutz
(Lefse is working on just gluing the piston head to the rack)
But in general you swiss about 1.5gms to 3gms on most pistons tops
As long as that big alloy spacer is removed, maybe replace with a nylon spacer
(G&G use a 4.5mm nylon piston spacer 20mm in diameter)
a 10mm spacer x 20mm weighs about 1.25gms - so replace with that & save nearly 6gms
try swissing that much off a piston

About 20gms for a full metal rack is about right give or take 1gms
say 22gms tops for a snappy build - but you want it with some weight/mass also
Just saying you could just drop the alloy and keep rest stock on piston as is

piston head is OK but some/most cylinders are 23.8mm ID
on 23.8mm cylinders numerous piston heads give so-so compression
(you can improve it with a better o-ring but still not f*ck me that's great compression)
There are only a small number of piston heads that give REALLY GREAT compression
However I had a couple of tighter cylinders probably 23.6~23.65mm ID
and the difference was insane - instant compression build etc....

So I look into buying some brass tubing/cylinder
1 inch or 25.4mm, 0.9mm wall (25.4 - 1.8 wall total = 23.6mm, polish to 23.65/23.7)
cut n polish and see if I can make use of loads of so-so piston heads knocking about

Anyway - soz for my future idea, thread crashing bit.....

yeah you really should look into just a cheapo dremel or rotary tool at some point
it is one of them things you buy as your little collection of tools grow
you will use for many things other than Shortstroking or removing teeth on racks

you will REALLY have to go some to file off the teeth - even with a brand new full file
don't even think of using a tiny small craft file - it barely scratches it
some other racks on ACM pistons are likely a steel/scrap mix not heat treated etc...
BUT on a decent rack, proper or better mix of steel/iron/ferrous you won't file it down
(well nothing like a 10 sec radius of a scrap zinc gearbox & other weak metal)

Just saying you will be there a while trying to file down them 2nd & 3rd teeth
(same on a proper steel COL if you need to just file a whisker off to operate smoothly
FFS you will think - what is this metal - tungsten carbide or something
YEAH - there is a BIG difference in durability & filing on proper steel stuff)

if you remove the spacer - then see if you replace with a nylon spacer
or just use a m10 heavier spring to achieve the desired fps
weigh will be fine @ 20gms without any extra work imho if ya lose the alloy spacer

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
....should look into just a cheapo dremel....it is one of them things you buy as your little collection of tools grow....
Oh, trust me, my collection of tools isn't small... it's just all back on the East Coast.
piston head is OK but some....piston heads give so-so compression (you can improve it with a better o-ring but....) There are only a small number of piston heads that give REALLY GREAT compression
My PH to cylinder compression is currently perfect, but if I start having issues, I've got a Lonex POM lying around somewhere.. At that point, I'd likely replace the cylinder with an aluminium one as well. Like I said though, PH to cylinder to CH is fine, and RA airnozzle is almost perfect when extended.

· Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
These are the parts I still need to finish her off, after that it's all tuning and testing that's left.
-Guarder SP140 non-linear spring
-Jefftron V3 processor mosfet, set to ROF reduction or 2rd burst
-Gens Ace 2s 60c 4000mAh hardcase lipo
-PDI 6.01 141mm tbb
-Picatinny riser[to cannibalize for the lipo...I think I'm gonna go with the 'anti-PEQ' box lol]

I've got a bunch of parts I still need for the G&P, but that's a slow project...especially given that I'm literally going from the ground up, so compatibility is a big concern.

Oh, and I'm gonna need to pick up a chronograph sooner than later..

· Premium Member
6,422 Posts
@Lefse d'you think I'll need it under 20g? I'm not letting her get over 40rps..
I honestly have little experience with DSG builds, but I would definitely not go above 20 grams, there's little margin for error with DSG builds. I usually go for 15 grams or so for DSG builds, but I suspect that's actually a tad too light and is hurting compression efficiency.

I'm gonna try and gradually increase piston weight in my DSG AUG, when I can get my butt in gear to doing it. Extremely busy at work lately, so I don't have too much energy after work for such lately...

(Lefse is working on just gluing the piston head to the rack)
I'm doing what now? o_O

121 - 140 of 356 Posts